Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just watched four lions, hilarious init, quite a sad ending though.

ReputationRep:
    Inception would have been an absolutely massive surprise if it had won Best Film.

It was a magnificent film but it had no real chance at the award.

I found it really amusing as well. Especially when he walked onto the stage; I had involuntarily spasms running through my body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Well most have had good reasons really.

One was heavily pregnant.

Ones on the stage in new york.
    some of them wanted to preserve their lives probably and not get bored to death at the Baftas... was a shame, would've been nice to see David Fincher, Natalie Portman and others

ReputationRep:
    Poor Tom Hooper, he was like the kid who got picked last in PE. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I found it really amusing as well. Especially when he walked onto the stage; I had involuntarily spasms running through my body.
    ooooh my god. just thinking about it now, making me laugh out loud in a - I shouldn't be laughing at this but I can't help it way - but wow, 88 years old... incredible seeing as he's been in big roles only a few years ago

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    some of them wanted to preserve their lives probably and not get bored to death at the Baftas... was a shame, would've been nice to see David Fincher, Natalie Portman and others
    Yeah, I wanted to see Fincher pick up the award.

And yeah, Christopher Lee is great. He's my favourite Dracula. Gary Oldman is second.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the one thing I did get from tonight was how much I need to see True Grit. I perked up every time they showed a clip. Looks excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Well Portman is massively pregnant at the moment.

If that isn't a valid reason i don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    The BAFTAs missed a real chance tonight to stake a claim at being the definitive awards ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Actually, the one thing I did get from tonight was how much I need to see True Grit. I perked up every time they showed a clip. Looks excellent.
    Hailee Steinfeld gives an amazing performance to say she's only 14.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    The BAFTAs missed a real chance tonight to stake a claim at being the definitive awards ceremony.
    Yup, and it was woefully boring as well. To be honest, I'll probably find the Oscars extremely boring too.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing i still don't like about the BAFTAs is Jonathan Ross.

This is meant to be when we show off british talent and we shove him in front of the camera?

ReputationRep:
    Bale got robber imo. :pierre: Miss Emma Watson, I saw you eyeing up Andrew Garfield as he walked past you. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    The only downside to the Oscars is the length of the ceremony. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Yup, and it was woefully boring as well. To be honest, I'll probably find the Oscars extremely boring too.
    Didn't watch it, but looking at the results is very disappointing. The Academy is obviously the sort of audience meant to lap up The King's Speech, the British Academy I always want to see as slightly more innovative and daring. If they'd given some surprising yet deserved awards like screenplay to Nolan, editing to Jon Harris or best actor to James Franco it would really have created a stir and actually encouraged a lot more people to be interested in future years. As it is they just look like a shadow of the Oscars and heavily biased towards brits. Given best supporting to Geoffrey Rush was a poor decision.

All that said, I am pleased to see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo won best foreign film. And Chris Morris for outstanding debut, although I would have preferred Gareth Edwards.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Didn't watch it, but looking at the results is very disappointing. The Academy is obviously the sort of audience meant to lap up The King's Speech, the British Academy I always want to see as slightly more innovative and daring. If they'd given some surprising yet deserved awards like screenplay to Nolan, editing to Jon Harris or best actor to James Franco it would really have created a stir and actually encouraged a lot more people to be interested in future years. As it is they just look like a shadow of the Oscars and heavily biased towards brits. Given best supporting to Geoffrey Rush was a poor decision.

All that said, I am pleased to see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo won best foreign film. And Chris Morris for outstanding debut, although I would have preferred Gareth Edwards.
    Pretty much what I thought. The bias is so obvious that it's just tiresome now.

ReputationRep:
    I think they tried to be slightly innovative and hoped to bring younger viewers with the breakdancing at the beginning of the show but that was ****. :pierre:

(Original post by unknownking321)
    I think they tried to be slightly innovative and hoped to bring younger viewers with the breakdancing at the beginning of the show but that was ****. :pierre:
    They should have had HAL singing Daisy.

ReputationRep:
    As an addendum; I don't give two tosses about it being Colin Firth's time or anything like that, any awards ceremony that doesn't honour James Franco is full of ****.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.