Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Are you kidding? It was like a new, better Mean Girls!
Noooo! I thought it would be really good after all the reviews but my girlfriend and I both thought it was a bit below par even for generic teen movies :/
xCBRx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
Did anyone watch Top Gear?

Spoiler:
Show

:sogood:
Some say, that in a recent race, even he was beaten by The King's Speech. :awesome:
xCBRx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Watched Oldboy on Saturday, very good film!
Anyone seen all of the Vengeance trilogy, how do the other two compare?
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xCBRx)
I've only seen Oldboy of the three but the guy who introduced me to Japanese cinema (and is obsessed to a scary degree - claims to get "physical pleasure" from these movies lol) says that the other two aren't by any means as good but do well to make up a trilogy.
yokabasha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Far, far superior to the Illusionist. That's what you get out of a Nolan film. Glad you gave that a watch.

Nolan is a genius, next on his watch list is probs gonna be Memento, just know it's gonna have some crazy storyline again
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by yokabasha)
Nolan is a genius, next on his watch list is probs gonna be Memento, just know it's gonna have some crazy storyline again
You have lots to look forward to.
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yokabasha)
You have lots to look forward to.
Or should we say look backward to?
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, Never Let Me Go was a massive disappointment for me. Having read the book I can't understand why they left so much out / changed important parts for no apparent reason.

I can also imagine it might have been slightly confusing to anyone going into it blind.

One positive though. Carey Mulligan really is a sensational actress.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Or should we say look backward to?
Touche. :mmm:
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
Well, Never Let Me Go was a massive disappointment for me. Having read the book I can't understand why they left so much out / changed important parts for no apparent reason.

I can also imagine it might have been slightly confusing to anyone going into it blind.

One positive though. Carey Mulligan really is a sensational actress.
I went into it blind... but I loved it! REALLY not what I expected as I thought it would just be another romdram but nooooo.

Would you mind putting in a spoiler or PMing me what was in the book that wasn't in the film?

Yeah yay Carey Mulligan! You seen An Education?
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Touche. :mmm:
Thanks for the rep making up for a grand total of -11 rep I got for saying I like Slumdog Millionaire lol!
aja89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went into it blind... but I loved it! REALLY not what I expected as I thought it would just be another romdram but nooooo.

Would you mind putting in a spoiler or PMing me what was in the book that wasn't in the film?

Yeah yay Carey Mulligan! You seen An Education?
Love An Education!

Never Let Me Go gripes:

Spoiler:
Show
It's just small things really that annoyed me:

In the film it was sort of implied that Kathy has the urges for sex but never actually had it until she got with Tommy, but in the book she had quite a few one night stands with other boys at the Cottages.

The scene when Kathy is young and listening to the tape, and she turns around and Ruth is watching her from the doorway is wrong. In the book it's actually Madame who sees her and Kathy sees that she is crying. This is important because the nature of the song made Madame realise that want Kathy wanted (love, true relationship etc.) was never really going to happen.

Miss Emily's (I hope I've got her name right) little outburst of truth telling to the students isn't half as explicit in the book. She never says anything about 'donating vital organs' and such technical language. I think us knowing so early on what the deal is ruins the shocking and slow revelation that the book gave.

Also, the scanning of the wrists was something completely made up by the film makers which I hated. It was almost like 'Oooh what sort of cloney things can we put in to make it really obvious', even though the whole point of the story is trying to show that they are just the same as normal humans!
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
Love An Education!

Never Let Me Go gripes:

Spoiler:
Show
It's just small things really that annoyed me:

In the film it was sort of implied that Kathy has the urges for sex but never actually had it until she got with Tommy, but in the book she had quite a few one night stands with other boys at the Cottages.

The scene when Kathy is young and listening to the tape, and she turns around and Ruth is watching her from the doorway is wrong. In the book it's actually Madame who sees her and Kathy sees that she is crying. This is important because the nature of the song made Madame realise that want Kathy wanted (love, true relationship etc.) was never really going to happen.

Miss Emily's (I hope I've got her name right) little outburst of truth telling to the students isn't half as explicit in the book. She never says anything about 'donating vital organs' and such technical language. I think us knowing so early on what the deal is ruins the shocking and slow revelation that the book gave.

Also, the scanning of the wrists was something completely made up by the film makers which I hated. It was almost like 'Oooh what sort of cloney things can we put in to make it really obvious', even though the whole point of the story is trying to show that they are just the same as normal humans!
I really wish I'd read the book before seeing the film now! I suppose it's good that I didn't see the bad bits of the film but I have to read the book now - it sounds much better! Thanks
aja89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really wish I'd read the book before seeing the film now! I suppose it's good that I didn't see the bad bits of the film but I have to read the book now - it sounds much better! Thanks
No problem.

I do understand that you can't put a whole novel's worth of material into a 90 minute film, but I just feel that in this particular case it really didn't work for me!
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xCBRx)
Whilst vengeance is the common underlying theme, all three films are quite different and individual in their approach. One distinguishing aspect of the other two is the slower pace. Mr. Vengeance is my favourite, the most potent, tragic and humane. It isn't as stylish and classic as Oldboy - notwithstanding, it's still very well shot. From first viewing, Lady Vengeance may seem the weakest of the three; in short, very much style over subtance. Arguably this doesn't make it any less of a good film - there are perhaps more subtleties in the characters, if you're willing to look for them. It has a pretty straightforward plot which I guess allows for a more visceral viewing experience, and indeed out of the style a good deal of the substance is conveyed. They are all worth a watch.

Park Chan-Wook, the director, in a Q&A: "From the beginning I considered this story to be a fairytale. 'Sympathy for Mr Vengeance' is based on hard-boiled reality and 'Oldboy' is mythical, like a legend, and 'Lady Vengeance' is like a fairytale."
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never watched Mean Girls. :no:
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by scherzi)
Whilst vengeance is the common underlying theme, all three films are quite different and individual in their approach. One distinguishing aspect of the other two is the slower pace. Mr. Vengeance is my favourite, the most potent, tragic and humane. It isn't as stylish and classic as Oldboy - notwithstanding, it's still very well shot. From first viewing, Lady Vengeance may seem the weakest of the three; in short, very much style over subtance. Arguably this doesn't make it any less of a good film - there are perhaps more subtleties in the characters, if you're willing to look for them. It has a pretty straightforward plot which I guess allows for a more visceral viewing experience, and indeed out of the style a good deal of the substance is conveyed. They are all worth a watch.

Park Chan-Wook, the director, in a Q&A: "From the beginning I considered this story to be a fairytale. 'Sympathy for Mr Vengeance' is based on hard-boiled reality and 'Oldboy' is mythical, like a legend, and 'Lady Vengeance' is like a fairytale."
Have you watched Confessions? I've just acquired a copy. :cyber:
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Clueless --- (4 years) ---> 10 Things I Hate About You --- (5 years) ---> Mean Girls --- (6 years) ---> Easy A

All films are:

• Much better than average teen comedies
• Feature a strong literary influence
• Made a star out of their lead actress (at least briefly)

It's a Hollywood conspiracy!
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by unknownking321)
I've never watched Mean Girls. :no:
Wh-wha...how?

(Original post by Phalanges)
Clueless --- (4 years) ---> 10 Things I Hate About You --- (5 years) ---> Mean Girls --- (6 years) ---> Easy A

All films are:

• Much better than average teen comedies
• Feature a strong literary influence
• Made a star out of their lead actress (at least briefly)

It's a Hollywood conspiracy!
:zomg: You are right!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads