The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8860
Original post by The Stig
Did anyone watch Top Gear?

Spoiler

:sogood:

Some say, that in a recent race, even he was beaten by The King's Speech. :awesome:
Reply 8861
Watched Oldboy on Saturday, very good film! :biggrin:
Anyone seen all of the Vengeance trilogy, how do the other two compare?
Original post by xCBRx

I've only seen Oldboy of the three but the guy who introduced me to Japanese cinema (and is obsessed to a scary degree - claims to get "physical pleasure" from these movies lol) says that the other two aren't by any means as good but do well to make up a trilogy.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Far, far superior to the Illusionist. :tongue: That's what you get out of a Nolan film. Glad you gave that a watch. :smile:

Nolan is a genius, next on his watch list is probs gonna be Memento, just know it's gonna have some crazy storyline again :biggrin:
Original post by yokabasha
Nolan is a genius, next on his watch list is probs gonna be Memento, just know it's gonna have some crazy storyline again :biggrin:

You have lots to look forward to. :h:
Original post by yokabasha

You have lots to look forward to. :h:

Or should we say look backward to? :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 8866
Well, Never Let Me Go was a massive disappointment for me. Having read the book I can't understand why they left so much out / changed important parts for no apparent reason.

I can also imagine it might have been slightly confusing to anyone going into it blind.

One positive though. Carey Mulligan really is a sensational actress.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Or should we say look backward to? :wink: :biggrin:

Touche. :mmm:
Original post by aja89
Well, Never Let Me Go was a massive disappointment for me. Having read the book I can't understand why they left so much out / changed important parts for no apparent reason.

I can also imagine it might have been slightly confusing to anyone going into it blind.

One positive though. Carey Mulligan really is a sensational actress.

I went into it blind... but I loved it! REALLY not what I expected as I thought it would just be another romdram but nooooo.

Would you mind putting in a spoiler or PMing me what was in the book that wasn't in the film? :smile:

Yeah yay Carey Mulligan! You seen An Education?
Touche. :mmm:

Thanks for the rep :smile: making up for a grand total of -11 rep I got for saying I like Slumdog Millionaire lol!
Reply 8870
I went into it blind... but I loved it! REALLY not what I expected as I thought it would just be another romdram but nooooo.

Would you mind putting in a spoiler or PMing me what was in the book that wasn't in the film? :smile:

Yeah yay Carey Mulligan! You seen An Education?

Love An Education!

Never Let Me Go gripes:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Love An Education!

Never Let Me Go gripes:

Spoiler

I really wish I'd read the book before seeing the film now! I suppose it's good that I didn't see the bad bits of the film but I have to read the book now - it sounds much better! Thanks :smile:
Reply 8872
I really wish I'd read the book before seeing the film now! I suppose it's good that I didn't see the bad bits of the film but I have to read the book now - it sounds much better! Thanks :smile:

No problem. :smile:

I do understand that you can't put a whole novel's worth of material into a 90 minute film, but I just feel that in this particular case it really didn't work for me!
Reply 8873
Original post by xCBRx

Whilst vengeance is the common underlying theme, all three films are quite different and individual in their approach. One distinguishing aspect of the other two is the slower pace. Mr. Vengeance is my favourite, the most potent, tragic and humane. It isn't as stylish and classic as Oldboy - notwithstanding, it's still very well shot. From first viewing, Lady Vengeance may seem the weakest of the three; in short, very much style over subtance. Arguably this doesn't make it any less of a good film - there are perhaps more subtleties in the characters, if you're willing to look for them. It has a pretty straightforward plot which I guess allows for a more visceral viewing experience, and indeed out of the style a good deal of the substance is conveyed. They are all worth a watch.

Park Chan-Wook, the director, in a Q&A: "From the beginning I considered this story to be a fairytale. 'Sympathy for Mr Vengeance' is based on hard-boiled reality and 'Oldboy' is mythical, like a legend, and 'Lady Vengeance' is like a fairytale."
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jace Falco
Are you kidding? It was like a new, better Mean Girls!

I've never watched Mean Girls. :no:
Original post by scherzi
Whilst vengeance is the common underlying theme, all three films are quite different and individual in their approach. One distinguishing aspect of the other two is the slower pace. Mr. Vengeance is my favourite, the most potent, tragic and humane. It isn't as stylish and classic as Oldboy - notwithstanding, it's still very well shot. From first viewing, Lady Vengeance may seem the weakest of the three; in short, very much style over subtance. Arguably this doesn't make it any less of a good film - there are perhaps more subtleties in the characters, if you're willing to look for them. It has a pretty straightforward plot which I guess allows for a more visceral viewing experience, and indeed out of the style a good deal of the substance is conveyed. They are all worth a watch.

Park Chan-Wook, the director, in a Q&A: "From the beginning I considered this story to be a fairytale. 'Sympathy for Mr Vengeance' is based on hard-boiled reality and 'Oldboy' is mythical, like a legend, and 'Lady Vengeance' is like a fairytale."

Have you watched Confessions? I've just acquired a copy. :cyber:
Original post by Jace Falco
Are you kidding? It was like a new, better Mean Girls!

Clueless --- (4 years) ---> 10 Things I Hate About You --- (5 years) ---> Mean Girls --- (6 years) ---> Easy A

All films are:

Much better than average teen comedies
Feature a strong literary influence
Made a star out of their lead actress (at least briefly)

It's a Hollywood conspiracy!
Original post by unknownking321

Wh-wha...how?

Original post by Phalanges
Clueless --- (4 years) ---> 10 Things I Hate About You --- (5 years) ---> Mean Girls --- (6 years) ---> Easy A

All films are:

Much better than average teen comedies
Feature a strong literary influence
Made a star out of their lead actress (at least briefly)

It's a Hollywood conspiracy!

:zomg: You are right!
Original post by unknownking321

realllly. hmm

Latest