The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 & C3 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Bit ridiculous was the composition of the c3 exam. 26 1 mark questions! 26!
My predictions for grade boundaries for an a*
B2 - 43
B3 - 45
C2 - 47
C3 - 44
Original post by RotomGuy
You keep saying that, but our teacher and my revision guide have never said alumina once. I think any of Alumina, Aluminium Oxide or Bauxite will net you the mark.

well, i put bauxite :c
pheW!!!!

Original post by t.thompson22
Technically your answer is correct, metal oxides and metal hydroxides dissolve in water. Therefore they are soluble compounds which are alkalis!
They neutralise with acids.

Acid + Metal Oxide ->> Salt + Water

Technically your answer is correct, metal oxides and metal hydroxides dissolve in water. Therefore they are soluble compounds which are alkalis!

Original post by neil20143
For Metal Oxide I wrote base?

So did i
Original post by iPatr0nus
Omg I put Pb3O2 by accident I am such an idiot

If u showed ur working out ull get sum marks anyway it was a 4 marker soo mebe three?!
Original post by Hxzel
For the ions question I wrote the ions so like I wrote Fe+2 instead of Iron (II) will that matter?

And are metal oxides bases or alkalis? I
Put base?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think examiners will accept Fe2+

Metal oxides dissolve in water and neutralise acid in neutralisation reactions. Therefore they're soluble and they're alkalis. But bases will still net you the mark (:
Original post by kittensrcute
on the 5mark question in c3 where you had to evaluate the two methods what were points you could put? I had no understanding of method one and am so scared ive just lost all 5 marks:frown:

I said, Method 1 was a precipitation reaction and Method 2 was a titration reaction. Also, in Method 1, some of the product is lost through filtration as it is left in the filtration paper and it is less accurate because you don't know how much of the reactants were being used. Method 2 was more accurate because you knew the concentration and volume of the reactants but you had to make sure that the solution was neutral otherwise it would not be an accurate calculation.
I'd say Grade Boundaries would be slightly lower than last year for both:
Unit 2 : 46/60 A*
Unit 3: 44/60 A*

The problem with Unit 3 was that some of the questions were either know it or not.

Did anyone else get Sulfuric Acid as the catalyst to make Ethyl Ethanoate?

yep , correct! :biggrin:

The problem with Unit 3 was that some of the questions were either know it or not.

yep , correct! :biggrin: i did.
Original post by Tuffyandtab
So did i

For Metal Oxide I wrote base?

so did i

I got the ethyl ethanoate part but not the sulfuric acid.

Did you understand the question which asked how a catalyst works? I didn't have a clue!

I think it was worth 2 marks (Can't really remember).
What question was the one about "Are metal oxides bases or alkalis?" in... like what were the other questions around it because I don't remember seeing that and starting to worry i missed a page :/
For the filling in the blanks question I put moles then 12C. Will I still get the marks?
Reply 914
Original post by emileepifanoff

Did you understand the question which asked how a catalyst works? I didn't have a clue!

It lowers the activation energy but I completely forgot about it at the time, so I just made something up :P
I put concentrated acid (sulfuric acid) would I still get the marks?
Original post by emileepifanoff

would you get 2 marks for saying lowers the activation energy or would you have to same something else as well
also does anyone know if i will get the marks for writing different pressures on the polymer question???
Original post by 11Jason11
I put concentrated acid (sulfuric acid) would I still get the marks?

yeah, I think they were looking for any named acids really cause any acid catalyst can be used in the process but sulphuric acid is the one mentioned in textbooks
Omg I put Pb3O2 by accident I'm such an idiot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending