Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread III Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    ^Serious? That's a shock. Last I heard he was in the MLS. Lots of better candidates available, Keane, Moyes so it sounds like a cost cutting measure I'd imagine.
    To be honest, I think Keane would be their best bet. They need somebody to rally the fanbase and create a siege mentality, now that Rangers are re-joining them in the top flight.

Moyes and Rodgers? It'd be a backward step for both of them, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    To be honest, I think Keane would be their best bet. They need somebody to rally the fanbase and create a siege mentality, now that Rangers are re-joining them in the top flight.

Moyes and Rodgers? It'd be a backward step for both of them, to be honest.
    Rodgers is in talks with Celtic. Might be a better economic option as Keane, as manager, likes to spend the cash and that won't be in massive supply at Parkhead and Rodgers might work easier within restrictions. But yes, Keane would have been good viewing as boss.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rodgers is in talks with Celtic. Might be a better economic option as Keane, as manager, likes to spend the cash and that won't be in massive supply at Parkhead and Rodgers might work easier within restrictions. But yes, Keane would have been good viewing as boss.
    See, that surprises me. Is it really a challenge for somebody like Rodgers? As much as his tenure at Liverpool disappointed towards the end, I think there's a top coach in there.

Celtic are undoubtedly a big club, and he may see this as a good way to get confidence back before moving back to the PL or even Europe.

It's an uninspiring league, though.

ReputationRep:
    See, that surprises me. Is it really a challenge for somebody like Rodgers? As much as his tenure at Liverpool disappointed towards the end, I think there's a top coach in there.

Celtic are undoubtedly a big club, and he may see this as a good way to get confidence back before moving back to the PL or even Europe.

I can't think of many managers who were at Celtic and then went on to have decent careers? The last one maybe being Martin O'Neil, even if he is a gobshite.

ReputationRep:
    Celtic just appear to have this aura about them and if they come knocking I suspect most people would jump at the chance to spend some time managing there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Celtic just appear to have this aura about them and if they come knocking I suspect most people would jump at the chance to spend some time managing there.
    I imagine most managers of the Northern Irish or Scottish variant are happy to manage Celtic if they have nothing better to do. If they had any offer from any club in any semi-decent league then they wouldn't be arsed going to a backwater league, oh except for the money for guaranteeing to win a tin pot trophy that I imagine the likes of Tranmere would have a decent go at winning.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rodgers has an emotional connection to Celtic, so it's no surprise he's taken the job once offered it. His biggest challenge is getting Celtic in the group stage of the CL, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more surprised that Joey Barton has gone to Rangers over negotiating a deal with Burnley. I thought he'd love to play in the PL again, and assumed him talking to Rangers was to force Burnley's hand in sorting a contract but seems willing to go up north.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Barton has been very pro-Celtic in tweets in the past. They're being dug up and retweeted tonight. Be interesting to see how that affects his relationship with the Ibrox crowd.

ReputationRep:
    I think he will, naturally, get stick from the Celtic fans but his fans will get behind him. Scott Brown seems to have been a Rangers fan as a kid so wouldn't think its a massive issue. Rangers v Celtic shaping up nicely enough for me to take an interest in their games next season

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think he will, naturally, get stick from the Celtic fans but his fans will get behind him. Scott Brown seems to have been a Rangers fan as a kid so wouldn't think its a massive issue. Rangers v Celtic shaping up nicely enough for me to take an interest in their games next season

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For such a fierce rivalry, there've been quite a few instances of players crossing the divide in the 2000s: Miller, Pressley, Mark Brown.

ReputationRep:
    Time to reignite this dusty, old thread!

Is this the best ever Eredivisie XI? Would you change anyone from here?

ReputationRep:

Obviously not a challenge since Rodgers has 73 (from a possible 75) points so far..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Patrick Kluiverts son looks like turning out every bit as good as he did.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.