The Student Room Group

How many hours are you revising each day?

Scroll to see replies

A better question would be "How many hours are you not revising?". The answer would still be the same as the thread title's question.

How many hours do I revise per day?
Original post by Kotoamatsukami
A better question would be "How many hours are you not revising?". The answer would still be the same as the thread title's question.

How many hours do I revise per day?

24-x=x
24=2x
x=12

12 whole hours! Props bro :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
like 1hr a day atm?
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it bad that I'm starting a 20 hour a week job JUST before the exams start?
Same as last year, an hour-ish (if that) as day. It worked then and seems to be working now :smile:
How much should I be revising if I have 21 GCSE exams coming up?
10-12 hours a day. But I split it up with breaks obviously . I have loads of info to cover, so I spend a lot of time going into depth with my revision.

My body now likes to wake up around 7am-8am regardless of the amount of time I've slept, which is a blessing in disguise. The earlier I wake up, the more I can get done.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
10-12 hours a day. But I split it up with breaks obviously . I have loads of info to cover, so I spend a lot of time going into depth with my revision.

My body now likes to wake up around 7am-8am regardless of the amount of time I've slept, which is a blessing in disguise. The earlier I wake up, the more I can get done.

how you revising....

what revision technique you using?
Original post by xxvine
how you revising....

what revision technique you using?

I use multiple techniques, in different stages.

1. I make general notes, where I go over things I missed during the semester. I use my lectures and tutorials as indicators of what I should be learning, then I use my textbooks, journal articles, cases etc to pad out my general notes for each module.
2. I consolidate those notes with posters, flash cards, summaries (this can be very time consuming)
3. Past paper questions, I not only plan out answers, I time myself so I have good exam technique for the actual exam. (also time consuming)
4. To remember my cases and journal article quotes, I dim my room and make it quiet. Then I sit down and imagine myself at home. I mentally walk through my home and different objects in my house represent different cases I need to memorise. This technique is very helpful, but I have to go over the mental walkthrough a few times, before I can recall 40 different cases.
5. I use mnemonics, absolutely love them for tests that I need to remember for different areas.
6. I use a 'look, cover and write' method for my posters, flash cards and summaries. So I can memorise key points.

How are you revising?
I use multiple techniques, in different stages.

1. I make general notes, where I go over things I missed during the semester. I use my lectures and tutorials as indicators of what I should be learning, then I use my textbooks, journal articles, cases etc to pad out my general notes for each module.
2. I consolidate those notes with posters, flash cards, summaries (this can be very time consuming)
3. Past paper questions, I not only plan out answers, I time myself so I have good exam technique for the actual exam. (also time consuming)
4. To remember my cases and journal article quotes, I dim my room and make it quiet. Then I sit down and imagine myself at home. I mentally walk through my home and different objects in my house represent different cases I need to memorise. This technique is very helpful, but I have to go over the mental walkthrough a few times, before I can recall 40 different cases.
5. I use mnemonics, absolutely love them for tests that I need to remember for different areas.
6. I use a 'look, cover and write' method for my posters, flash cards and summaries. So I can memorise key points.

How are you revising?

agh those methods seem great

i am a bit similar, i read the text book, make notes (seem to remember things that are in my own handwriting) and condense them onto flash cards...
needs to go over things now and do past papers!
10 hours. 11 exams.
Original post by xxvine
agh those methods seem great

i am a bit similar, i read the text book, make notes (seem to remember things that are in my own handwriting) and condense them onto flash cards...
needs to go over things now and do past papers!

Thank you. I remember things in my own handwriting too as opposed to typed out notes. So that's why I spend so many hours a day revising.

What are you revising for? GCSE, A-levels, Uni exams?
I just woke up after 13 hours of sleep..that means in the next 11 hours i have to eat,spend time on TSR (can't stop really addicted) and study amongst other things.
Wow! i salute the people who are effectively doing 8-12 hours a day:congrats:
Thank you. I remember things in my own handwriting too as opposed to typed out notes. So that's why I spend so many hours a day revising.

What are you revising for? GCSE, A-levels, Uni exams?

alevels:frown:

all essay and memorising ones as well (english, sociology and politics)
:angry:
Original post by xxvine
alevels:frown:

all essay and memorising ones as well (english, sociology and politics)
:angry:

Oh wow, I did the exact same A-levels as you. I can sympathise.
Oh wow, I did the exact same A-levels as you. I can sympathise.

wowzers....small world haha

how did you revise and memorise everything?

what grades did you get in the end if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by xxvine
wowzers....small world haha

how did you revise and memorise everything?

what grades did you get in the end if you don't mind me asking?

I know right. I don't come across people on here that have done the same A-levels as me.

I used the same method I use now at uni, that I mentioned earlier. The only difference is, I didn't attend lessons for politics between March and up until my exam. I was so focused on English Literature that I felt that I learnt better by myself, and I was struggling with a lot of mental health issues. So my attendance after January A2's was abysmal.

I ended up getting A* in Sociology, A in politics and a B in English Literature. The B still hurts, I don't know if you remember when there was all that backlash about english literature coursework getting easy marks and all that nonsense. My Coursework got marked down from an A to a B so that influenced my overall grade. Still really hurts.. lol.
For my January modules it was 9 hours per day.

Now I'm lucky got be motivated to get 4 hours. But I've been effectively revising so I know the majority of the the content.
I know right. I don't come across people on here that have done the same A-levels as me.

I used the same method I use now at uni, that I mentioned earlier. The only difference is, I didn't attend lessons for politics between March and up until my exam. I was so focused on English Literature that I felt that I learnt better by myself, and I was struggling with a lot of mental health issues. So my attendance after January A2's was abysmal.

I ended up getting A* in Sociology, A in politics and a B in English Literature. The B still hurts, I don't know if you remember when there was all that backlash about english literature coursework getting easy marks and all that nonsense. My Coursework got marked down from an A to a B so that influenced my overall grade. Still really hurts.. lol.

Wow i hope your feeling better.....and by the sounds of it you are! :biggrin:

You did brilliantly! I would pay you to have your grades. I would love an A* in Sociology. i am doing religion and c&d AQA and i hardly no anything! I have written notes for some of the topics but nothing is going in arghhhhh:frown:

How much revision did you do for politics and any tips. I am doing all four units so I'm kinda screwed! Did you do political ideologies may i ask? Its a killer?

Are you at uni now studying law i am guessing going by the subjects you chose?
Original post by xxvine
Wow i hope your feeling better.....and by the sounds of it you are! :biggrin:

You did brilliantly! I would pay you to have your grades. I would love an A* in Sociology. i am doing religion and c&d AQA and i hardly no anything! I have written notes for some of the topics but nothing is going in arghhhhh:frown:

How much revision did you do for politics and any tips. I am doing all four units so I'm kinda screwed! Did you do political ideologies may i ask? Its a killer?

Are you at uni now studying law i am guessing going by the subjects you chose?

Aw thank you, I'm still struggling, but right now I'm just trying keep positive.

For Sociology, try and find as much theorists as possible to back up any points/arguments you have. Then try and find contrasting theorists that disagree with your points. My teacher said that we should always try to critically assess our arguments, so you're showing the examiner that you're not just one sided and you can objectively look at an argument and deduct its flaws.

Yes I did political ideologies. I actually preferred it to AS. Since the ideologies were so vast, you could answer any of the questions and get a good mark as long as you know and can critically evaluate the different ideologies against each other or within each other like the different types of feminism.

I'm not gonna lie, I did a ton of revision within a short period of time. I was sleeping 2 hours a night, just to get through the content. One suggestion I have is to go to your exam boards website, look at exemplary answers for different questions. The answers that usually get high marks, have a common theme.That's what I did. I went from a D at AS to an A at A2 for politics. Nobody thought I would be able to get an A, when I said I was aiming for that, everyone in my class laughed at me.

Its about revising smart. I suggest you do a past paper, answer the hardest essay questions alone. Mark them using the mark schemes, be critical. If you're struggling with any question, then revise that area.
Sometimes being your own hardest critic can be good come exam time.

Yes I'm now studying Law & Criminology. Will you be doing law once you finish your A-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending