The Student Room Group

creating a revision/study timetable for A Level (year 13)

hello guys, i desperately need some advice on the best ways to create a revision/study timetable. i understand that everybody's days are different and obviously we won't all have the same timetable - but i guess i'm asking how many hours a week should you revise and also how to create a timetable that you will actually stick to! i hope that makes sense - thanks <3!
I tried to do at least 1 hr per subject after coming back home. I would do an hour then have a 15 min break and repeat that twice more. After that, I would have like 30 mins to 1 hour of buffer time where I finished off anything that I couldn't finish in those 1hr slots before but I also went over what I did in school that day. It's kind of intensive I would say but I got used to it after a while
for the summer atm? i suggest doing 5-6 hours of work especially if u want get ahead in the modules and content.
for school? aim for minimum 3 hours a day not including the frees u have in school
make a weekly study plan, every sunday night write a plan of what your gonna do each day of the week and stick to it
struggle with sticking to a plan? take small steps, do 2 hours of work on monday for example and slowly increase it by 30mins-1hour each day so eventually you reach the desired work load, dont be too harsh on yourself but dont be too lazy and lenient. being lazy only effects yourself, your dreams and what you can achieve.
Original post by Anonymous
I tried to do at least 1 hr per subject after coming back home. I would do an hour then have a 15 min break and repeat that twice more. After that, I would have like 30 mins to 1 hour of buffer time where I finished off anything that I couldn't finish in those 1hr slots before but I also went over what I did in school that day. It's kind of intensive I would say but I got used to it after a while

thanks so much - your advice is really valuable!
for the summer atm? i suggest doing 5-6 hours of work especially if u want get ahead in the modules and content.
for school? aim for minimum 3 hours a day not including the frees u have in school
make a weekly study plan, every sunday night write a plan of what your gonna do each day of the week and stick to it
struggle with sticking to a plan? take small steps, do 2 hours of work on monday for example and slowly increase it by 30mins-1hour each day so eventually you reach the desired work load, dont be too harsh on yourself but dont be too lazy and lenient. being lazy only effects yourself, your dreams and what you can achieve.

yes that makes sense, especially when you have more time in the summer! may i ask are you studying A Levels right now?

wait 5-6hrs a day or in a week per subject?
I saw your other post about getting A*s too.
If you are willing to put in the work - you can do it. Procrastination sucks but there are things you can do to minimise it. For example, I would suggest that you try not to do anything other than revision in your revision space - this means don't use your phone where you revise and try not to eat where you're revising. This lets you get in the zone/mindset for revising faster because once you sit in that space you know you need to revise. This will help you stop getting distracted too hopefully. When I used to revise I put my phone in a different room completely.
If you are willing to put in the work - you can do it. Procrastination sucks but there are things you can do to minimise it. For example, I would suggest that you try not to do anything other than revision in your revision space - this means don't use your phone where you revise and try not to eat where you're revising. This lets you get in the zone/mindset for revising faster because once you sit in that space you know you need to revise. This will help you stop getting distracted too hopefully. When I used to revise I put my phone in a different room completely.

this means a lot! thank you so much <3
Let me know if you have other questions - I got 3A*s a couple of days ago. Although you can never completely trust me since I'm anonymous ._.
Let me know if you have other questions - I got 3A*s a couple of days ago. Although you can never completely trust me since I'm anonymous ._.

haha thank you!
Back in my heyday I could pull off 6hrs/day of focused revision. That was inhuman. Try for 4 hours of revision and let yourself do something fun afterwards.
Original post by Meltboy7778
Back in my heyday I could pull off 6hrs/day of focused revision. That was inhuman. Try for 4 hours of revision and let yourself do something fun afterwards.

Some days in 2022 I basically studied for almost the whole day, like more than 9 hours, 10+ hours. I actually studied for 9 hours once this year and 7 hrs or so easily. Somehow despite that I ****ed up physics resits and didn't get an A in math.

Sometimes, it is not enough for 6hrs/day.

Also, the computer. Block other websites and other apps. Get everything printed and just GO to the library. But then you might still doze off and be restless and bored. Sucks. Any other tips?

Original post by emm4nuella
hello guys, i desperately need some advice on the best ways to create a revision/study timetable. i understand that everybody's days are different and obviously we won't all have the same timetable - but i guess i'm asking how many hours a week should you revise and also how to create a timetable that you will actually stick to! i hope that makes sense - thanks <3!

For a schoolday - lessons + most of your frees and maybe some time like an hour or two at home.

Holiidays - ig a few hours but you also need a break so there'd be some days study more others study less. As long as you get the strong grades etc. you're good.

If you self-study... I guess do several hours a day for basically all days, at minimum. 4 hours. Preferably more than that. Because ultimately I didn't get an A* even in 2023 at 16 as I slacked off so badly and B/C at 15 cuz I slacked off in 2021.
Original post by emm4nuella
wait 5-6hrs a day or in a week per subject?

5-6 hours a day - vary it out for each subject though.
when i had exams i would study for 7 hours everyday and im predicted A*AA
5-6 hours a day - vary it out for each subject though.
when i had exams i would study for 7 hours everyday and im predicted A*AA

wow that's amazing! thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending