Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    Just for anyone who's doing any late night Mathematics/Studying/Procrastination (the most likely option), here's a small meme to cheer you up:
    Unfortunately that is incorrect, because the LOTF is very likely to be opposite but greater. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Personally I like "ansatz".
    It's a great word. I learnt it in "The Quantum Story"

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately that is incorrect, because the LOTF is very likely to be opposite but greater. :fyi:

For 'every' physicist, (the summation of all physicists) there is one Lord of the Flies who is equal to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    For 'every' physicist, (the summation of all physicists) there is one Lord of the Flies who is equal to them.
    Then you should have used some kind of proposition involving "all" rather than "every", and even then it's still probably greater. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how physicsy I can make the questions before you all throw me out....

ReputationRep:
    Then you should have used some kind of proposition involving "all" rather than "every", and even then it's still probably greater. :nah:
    It wouldn't fit, you pernickety plop.

You're being ignominiously pedantic. Like that word? Take it! Do your dissertation. *prods*. :creep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    I wonder how physicsy I can make the questions before you all throw me out....

I actually enjoy Mathematical Physics. I'm more of an applied Mathematician than anything (if I could even call myself a mathematician with the morsel that I know. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    You're being ignominiously pedantic. :creep:
    Is that the right context for that word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    You're being ignominiously pedantic. :creep:

I might walk ignominiously away from the thread after being shunned because the physics....

ReputationRep:

It can either be used for 'a shameful act'. Or 'something which deserves slander/calumny - a despicable act/one which can be reprimanded'. It is, as his views are reprehensible (those views being so pedantic). :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    It can either be used for 'a shameful act'. Or 'something which deserves slander/calumny - a despicable act/one which can be reprimanded'. It is, as his views are reprehensible (those views being so pedantic). :argh:
    Fair enough, I'm not sure I'd use it like that if it were me.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I'm not sure I'd use it like that if it were me.
    How would you use it? (See below).

Merriam-Webster
    His crimes were ignominious; he had dropped a coin from the Eiffel tower and it had landed West of its original position.

ReputationRep:

I might walk ignominiously away from the thread after being shunned because the physics....

(Original post by Zakee)
    How would you use it? (See below).

Merriam-Webster
    His crimes were ignominious; he had dropped a coin from the Eiffel tower and it had landed West of its original position.
    See above. I edited my post whilst you were typing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    (those views being so pedantic). :argh:
    Welcome to TSR, we are more inclined to pedantry as a guilty pleasure than most

ReputationRep:
    Mwahahaha I appear to have trained an army of talented mathmos to prod you to write your dissertation.

Spoiler:
    Show
    When you get to your PhD you'll thank me. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Mwahahaha I appear to have trained an army of talented mathmos to prod you to write your dissertation.

Spoiler:
    Show
    When you get to your PhD you'll thank me. I hope.
    And it's not working

Spoiler:
    Show
    If this still happens at PhD then perhaps the question is whether I should be in a PhD at all rather than something else.

ReputationRep:
    Quite an erroneous post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    Disproof 39

The proposition: p(x)+p'''(x)\geq p'(x)+p''(x),\ \forall x \implies p(x)\geq 0 \ \forall x

It's contrapositive:  p(x) < 0 \ \forall x \implies p(x)+p'''(x) < p'(x)+p''(x),\ \forall x
    Are you sure that's the contrapositive?

Spoiler:
    Show

The for-alls should turn into exists. Hence x=4 not satisfying your last line is no contradiction, as long as there is at least one value of x that does.

REPOSTED: Darn TSR not working.

ReputationRep:
    edit: yeah, don't worry.. being a moron..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    If a statement is "p(x) \geq 0  \ \forall x", then why wouldn't the negation be "p(x) < 0 \  \forall x"? I don't see how/where exists should come into it..
    The negation of any statement of the form \forall x. \phi\left(x\right) is \neg\forall x. \phi\left(x\right), which is equivalent to \exists x. \neg \phi\left(x\right). However here you have \forall x. \neg \phi\left(x\right), which is not equivalent. Example:

"Not all students on TSR are mathematicians."

is not equivalent to

"All students on TSR are not mathematicians."

EDIT: saw your edit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.