The Student Room Group

Fifa boss tells gay fans: 'Don't have sex at Qatar World Cup'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Elipsis
Firstly let me congratulate you on being a grade A idiot, you have done a sterling job. Whether or not someone is gay, and that is wrong is a matter of opinion, but it is upto your own conscience as to whether or not you do it. It does not and cannot hurt anyone else. The west does not condone homosexuals, and it doesn't condemn them either. It is a matter of personal choice. The idea that a man should be killed or imprisoned for engaging in homosexual activity is disgusting. It is perhaps the stupidest part of Islam that you are allowed 4 wives, but the 3 men who go wifeless have to just sit on their hands.

There are in fact no countries where cannabis is legal. The point about not being allowed to enjoy a nice beer whilst watching the game in the stadium is that for the majority of fans the two go nicely together. No one disagrees that you should respect and follow Qatars laws on it, but what they do disagree with is letting them host it whilst such laws are in force. There were tons of countries who would have happily hosted the world cup and let the fans have a good time, without us having to resort to hosting it in such a country. And lets not forget that allowing them to host it is tantamount to endorsing the way things are run.

I'd just like to say that at no point did I say that I agree with the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar; I just believe that seeing as the world cup is going to be held in Qatar then people should abide by their laws out of respect for the country. I agree with you that it is disgusting that a person would be killed or imprisoned for choosing to engage in such an activity, BUT to other people, they would see it as disgusting that people do have homosexual relations.

As to whether the world cup should have been awarded to Qatar, well that's a different matter tbh, but as it has, there isn't much people can do about it. I thought that the point of this thread was that people are against the comments made by the boss of FIFA about homosexuality.

Regarding cannabis, whilst the growth and sale of it is generally illegal, there are certain countries where possession of the drug for personal use is perfectly legal, such as Peru.
Original post by Dave Davidson
Gay sex is wrong if it was right and natural the men could get pregnant

Define 'natural'. By your standards then, all forms of sex about from regular intercourse is unnatural, condoms and other forms of contraception is unnatural because they stop you getting pregnant, and sex before marriage must also be unnatural. We best assume all sex positions are unnatural apart from the standard missionary. What a boring sex life you must lead.
Reply 122
Original post by lynds81
I'd just like to say that at no point did I say that I agree with the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar; I just believe that seeing as the world cup is going to be held in Qatar then people should abide by their laws out of respect for the country. I agree with you that it is disgusting that a person would be killed or imprisoned for choosing to engage in such an activity, BUT to other people, they would see it as disgusting that people do have homosexual relations.

As to whether the world cup should have been awarded to Qatar, well that's a different matter tbh, but as it has, there isn't much people can do about it. I thought that the point of this thread was that people are against the comments made by the boss of FIFA about homosexuality.

Regarding cannabis, whilst the growth and sale of it is generally illegal, there are certain countries where possession of the drug for personal use is perfectly legal, such as Peru.

From what i've read it isn't perfectly legal, or even tolerated in Peru. Some places have decriminalised possession, but i'm pretty sure Peru isn't one of them.
There is only one word for Sepp Blatter - Cock
Reply 124
Original post by lynds81
As to whether the world cup should have been awarded to Qatar, well that's a different matter tbh, but as it has, there isn't much people can do about it.
Sure there is. If assurances are not given about the human rights of fans, both teams and fans can boycott the Qatar World Cup. The same goes for Russia and racism. If the host isn't going to be hospitable then it is better not to go to the event they are hosting (or leave if their inhospitality reveals itself during the event.)

Qatar wanted to host the World Cup and if it wants to be successful then naturally it must be hospitable to fans. Its relaxation of alcohol restrictions suggest that the country realizes that.
who the **** wants to go there anyway

laws are stupid

no drinking?

looooooooool
Reply 126
Original post by basketofsnakes
who the **** wants to go there anyway

laws are stupid

no drinking?

looooooooool

And it's nothing but a dusty desert.
i think that the idea people are getting angry about the no drinking rule is strange because its been the same rule in other football world cups i.e. france 1998

le stade de france banned alcohol in the stadium and in the city of St Dennis the area of paris in which the tournament was hosted, in order to cut down on anti social behaviour the idea being that alcohol was welcome to be drunk afterwards in bars closer to the hotels, this was praised by most of the eurpoean press and seen as the key reason violence between clashing fans was easily avoided, it was so effective that even to today that the hours before and after any match alcohol is banned for a mile radius.

Is it because this country is muslim and therfore most of their laws are immoral in our eyes that we see outcry yet when france does it its okay?

though the idea of 50degree heat, dress ban and homosexuality being illegal there should have made fifa realise that to send millions of fans to there is nuts!!
Gay people like tennis anyways so it's irrelevant :bigsmile:
I think the anger is more widely directed at FIFA for choosing two countries with appalling human rights records. Russia is known for being a vehemently racist and homophobic country, and Qatar criminalizes homosexual sex altogether, even if they do have more of a 'respect' culture than Russia.

It also becomes more frustrating because FIFA hasn't really addressed this, and when you watch the news reports of the selection process you just see a room full of middle aged, white men who have probably never experienced any discrimination in their life, and in particular have never visited a country where their relationship is a criminal offence.
Reply 130
Fifa clearly doesn't want people to come to the world cup...
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

I think the anger is more widely directed at FIFA for choosing two countries with appalling human rights records. Russia is known for being a vehemently racist and homophobic country, and Qatar criminalizes homosexual sex altogether, even if they do have more of a 'respect' culture than Russia.

It also becomes more frustrating because FIFA hasn't really addressed this, and when you watch the news reports of the selection process you just see a room full of middle aged, white men who have probably never experienced any discrimination in their life, and in particular have never visited a country where their relationship is a criminal offence.

Politics is usually kept separate from sport, FIFA will manage the event it's just up to the host nation to make sure the facilities are available and up to scratch. Just look at the 2008 Olympics for example, held in a country which has a human rights record far worse than Russia or Qatar.
Original post by ish90an
, why is Qatar, a country with just about all its stadiums in 1 city, no footballing history or culture, harsh climates and laws that are just ensuring people get in trouble, being adjudged fit to host a world cup despite much better contenders?

Original post by CombineHarvester
Politics is usually kept separate from sport, FIFA will manage the event it's just up to the host nation to make sure the facilities are available and up to scratch. Just look at the 2008 Olympics for example, held in a country which has a human rights record far worse than Russia or Qatar.

I ought to point that that for me personally, I don't have an issue with Qatar and Russia getting the world cup, as ultimately it is the regions with bad human rights records that need the world cup the most, so fair enough. But I was pointing out that in terms of FIFA, it's not like they made a conscious effort to address this in any way either, and I know that Politics should be kept separate from sport but with an event like the world cup, particularly when the laws in question affect so many people, in reality it does have to be looked at.

The problem I have is that you see the FIFA officials and it's just a bunch of white men who clearly never have and never will experience discrimination or violence of any sort, so when the bloke that runs it casually laughs off such a serious question ... I don't know, it just annoys the hell out of me.
(edited 13 years ago)

I ought to point that that for me personally, I don't have an issue with Qatar and Russia getting the world cup, as ultimately it is the regions with bad human rights records that need the world cup the most, so fair enough. But I was pointing out that in terms of FIFA, it's not like they made a conscious effort to address this in any way either, and I know that Politics should be kept separate from sport but with an event like the world cup, particularly when the laws in question affect so many people, in reality it does have to be looked at.

The problem I have is that you see the FIFA officials and it's just a bunch of white men who clearly never have and never will experience discrimination or violence of any sort, so when the bloke that runs it casually laughs off such a serious question ... I don't know, it just annoys the hell out of me.

You're right in that these people will probably be a bit dismissive but imo these countries got the WC as a form of footballing imperialism, to spread the sport around the globe so every region will have a strong taste of football. Germany had it in 2006 and many would argue that Germany and England are very similar countries in Europe, also take into account the Euros which are a massive sporting event. Brazil are going to get it in 2014 so that's South America sorted and next you'll have Russia (Eastern Europe) and then Qatar (Middle East). South Korea/Japan had it in 2000 and obviously the first African WC was this year. I don't think there'll be any problems in Qatar tbh, the King made very generous concessions in order to win the bid (alcohol and dress code laws will be relaxed) and the area around the venue itself will be maintained by FIFA rather than local government. Also you'll have the first carbon neutral games in 2022 which is something FIFA want to promote plus the fact that some of the stadia will be de-constructed and donated to poorer countries after the games. 99% of the people watching the WC will not be travelling to the host country anyway so it won't affect the vast majority of the people watching the matches where the game is held and what the weather is like.

I think the WC will go a way to ease the prevalent racism in Russia. Influx of non-whites that coincides with Russia taking center stage will ensure that a hitherto indifferent police force is on its best behavior, as regards suppressing the large number of neo nazis.
Reply 136
There are attacks against ethnic minorities in Russia every single day in broad daylight, how the f*** do the Russian authorities expect to control some 80,000 fans. Lets not forget, there are plenty of racist English fans who will be making there way to. Personally I would advise all non whites to stay well clear of Russia world or no world cup. Racist neo nazi thugs from England, Italy, Spain, Germany will descending into Russia making it more like the hooligan world cup 2018.
Original post by DJkG.1
Fair enough tbh. If they wanna go to Qatar then I'm sure they can abstain from homosexual acts for their duration in that country.

Lol. Like the Arabs!! :biggrin:
Original post by Elipsis
So let me get this straight, this hell hole beat us in hosting the world cup despite being:
-Homophobic :yy:
-Having one of the worst football teams in the world, with almost no notable players :yy:
-Misogynistic to the hilt :yy:
-Shorts being frowned upon (playing in trousers in a million degree heat is going to make the games interesting) :yy:
-Alcohol being banned, which for 99% of football fans round the world goes hand in hand :yy:
-Not being allowed to even so much as look a local woman in the eyes :yy:
-The country actively courting and accepting known terrorists in its borders :yy:

What a joke...

In short, it is an Islamic country.
Reply 139
Original post by Lord Hysteria
In short, it is an Islamic country.

Indeed it is. The question is, should the rest of the world tacitly support such a country by giving it such an event? Surely we are just rewarding them for bad behaviour; and not subjecting the fans to such a barbarous place should be at the top of Fifa's agenda. Even on a practical level it is a stupid place to host it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending