The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

I don't see why it's difficult to take one day out of annual leave. I would only sign to see what goes down.
Original post by Legendary Quest
I think it would be lovely if it was a national holiday but my only worry is how it changes each year. It would be difficult to have it on one specific day. The exact day it's on depends on when the moon is sighted which is why some celebrate it on one day and others on another day. Also, Eid happens twice every year which makes it even more confusing. :redface:

Easter changes every year depending on when when a certain full moon occurs and has several days associated with it, so having two Eids per year doesn't worry me at all. I understand certain sects of Christianity also have a different timing for Easter (much like Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas in January) but there is an agreed date for the bank holidays based on the fact that the majority of Christians in the UK are Catholic or Protestant.
Reply 162
Original post by fr0sr_
No, I'm calling all 48,000 signees idiotic, it's a stupid idea.

Phew Im one of 885 people so then Im not an idiot :smile:
Reply 163
Original post by Mactotaur
God doesn't exist. If you disagree, prove it - you'd be making the more significant claim.

If God doesn't exist, why should there be any religious celebrations which the country recognises as official?

I have answered this before and re-directed to you my previous responses to you three or four times. You are clearly completely incapable of following this instruction and I don't fancy repeating myself all night so I'm going to bow out of this death trap of an exchange.
Reply 164
Why exactly should Muslims get special consideration here, given theyre a distinct minority?
lol no thanks
Hahahah at 'UK is a Christian country'
Is it ****
We don't need any more holidays.

There are enough holidays as it is.
Meh, book it in annual leave; same should be said Christmas and all that lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Hahahah at 'UK is a Christian country'
Is it ****

In a legal capacity, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FNPC
No, enhland is a Christian country mainly so we celebrate Christian festivals.

Exactly, even though I am not religious, our state religion is Christianity (Protestantism) so our national holidays should adhere to that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending