Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Most of the country is no longer religious - the non religious outnumber the Christians. Surely it's time to scrap religious holidays altogether, when the majority of the population does not celebrate them?
    Really? You do know a lot of non Christians celebrate Christmas as well right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

Not a muslim, but more holidays the better LMAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Really? You do know a lot of non Christians celebrate Christmas as well right?
    Read a few pages back, you'll find our discussion of Christmas. It's more of a secular family time now, but the other holidays aren't.

ReputationRep:
    No, enhland is a Christian country mainly so we celebrate Christian festivals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

Christmas is a national holiday period with historically religious roots. Christmas isn't for Christians (or Pagans ), it's for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it's difficult to take one day out of annual leave. I would only sign to see what goes down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    I think it would be lovely if it was a national holiday but my only worry is how it changes each year. It would be difficult to have it on one specific day. The exact day it's on depends on when the moon is sighted which is why some celebrate it on one day and others on another day. Also, Eid happens twice every year which makes it even more confusing.
    Easter changes every year depending on when when a certain full moon occurs and has several days associated with it, so having two Eids per year doesn't worry me at all. I understand certain sects of Christianity also have a different timing for Easter (much like Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas in January) but there is an agreed date for the bank holidays based on the fact that the majority of Christians in the UK are Catholic or Protestant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr0sr_)
    No, I'm calling all 48,000 signees idiotic, it's a stupid idea.
    Phew Im one of 885 people so then Im not an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    God doesn't exist. If you disagree, prove it - you'd be making the more significant claim.

If God doesn't exist, why should there be any religious celebrations which the country recognises as official?
    I have answered this before and re-directed to you my previous responses to you three or four times. You are clearly completely incapable of following this instruction and I don't fancy repeating myself all night so I'm going to bow out of this death trap of an exchange.

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly should Muslims get special consideration here, given theyre a distinct minority?

ReputationRep:
    lol no thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hahahah at 'UK is a Christian country'
    Is it ****

ReputationRep:
    We don't need any more holidays.

There are enough holidays as it is.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Meh, book it in annual leave; same should be said Christmas and all that lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Hahahah at 'UK is a Christian country'
    Is it ****
    In a legal capacity, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    No, enhland is a Christian country mainly so we celebrate Christian festivals.
    Exactly, even though I am not religious, our state religion is Christianity (Protestantism) so our national holidays should adhere to that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.