The Student Room Group

Please help signing this petition

Petition: Grant Home Fee status for all who are in the UK under the BNO visa
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/632728

British National (Overseas) visa holders in the UK have moved to the UK to settle. Having home fee status for those attending universities makes it easier for them to settle in.

Hi guys, I was born in Hong Kong in 2005, and I am turning 18 this October. I had lived in Hong Kong for 16 years since birth and moved to the UK in July 2021 under the BNO scheme.

I am a student who repeated a year and just finished my GCSE this summer, and would like to pursue higher education after my A-Levels by applying for undergraduate courses.

According to the information provided by Cambridge University, the fixed annual tuition fee for international students studying veterinary medicine is £63,990 for 2023 entry. Our family is not in a good financial position because my mother is unemployed due to her illness. This means that I would not be able to afford the international fee for my undergraduate course because we do not have the financial resources to do so, and I do not want to create a financial burden on my beloved family. I have seen my parents sacrificing too much and striving so hard for my sister's and my sake by moving to England just to give us the best possible place to grow and become a morally good person.

According to the BNO scheme after my research, I would only be eligible for home fees and student loans only when my family and I have been 'settled' and granted British citizenship in 2026 or 2027 at the earliest possible time. I will finish my A-Level and be ready for my undergraduate course in the summer of 2025. However, under such circumstances, I will be taking a gap year of 1-2 years before starting my course, which hopefully will be veterinary medicine. I sincerely do not want to create any financial burden to my family, even if I am eligible for the home fees status, I would still like to apply for student loans instead of asking money from my family to do so because they have already sacrificed too much for me. Additionally, I will be 21 years old when I start my undergraduate course if I have taken a gap year for my British citizenship. I understand that age is never a limit accessing to higher education, yet I want to finish my study as soon as possible and start a full-time career to relieve my family's financial pressure, and potentially be able to support my younger sister's future higher education. Likewise, I would become a mature student if I start my undergraduate course at the age of 21, this means I am more likely to receive less tuition funding and other obstacles during my study.
#HongKong #BNO #students #finance #homefee #internationalfee

Thank you for your time in reading this long forum. Have a great day! <3
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending