The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Jandarini
Goodness, I've no idea! Which would you recommend - as in, which is cheapest?

Speedferries are cheapest, check out that link in Kingspharm's post. Last time we used speedferries though there were some delays, it can never hurt to plan in delays especially if the weather's not too good. Also speedferries don't run very frequently, the other ferry companies based in Calais are better from that perspective. If you want the best service then go for Eurotunnel of course, it's the best way to cross the channel, just damned expensive that's the only drawback. They are fast and 'deposit' you in Folkstone from where you can quickly and easily get onto the motorway.

That list has an awful lot of things you won't need and others which you can just buy upon arrival at university to help save space (like A4 folders). And you should bring a computer and a printer? Think I'll miss the printer, they're annoying to use let alone carrying with you on the train...

It might be worth getting a 6 gang socket etc which I notice is not in the list. I myself have a 10 gang one and is vertical too in order to consume less floor space and tidy the leads more.

I would get a wine glass (chalice I use) after settling as glass is brittle.

I'd also take my ROA for new job interviews.
I have been speaking to a sales assisant at my local Tescos (I only hope her son isn't a member! :p: :p: If you are in Lecister Uni 4th year Languages and live in South Wales outside termtime - your mum is a very interesting person - not joking!).

Anyway, she was saying in the bigger Tescos, during the August/September period their store becames student central. Although you can purchase items outside of this time slot such as a £7 16 piece dinner set I have my eyes on, their selection of items the Tecso Value items greatly increases.

This means if there is a big tesco close to the uni you are planning to attend you can take some vital items with you and purchase the remaining items during your first week.

Personally, I do not want to do this. I want to have everything to hand from day one but my mum reckons my car will break down lol. I told her Williameana could cope with anything!

Then we had another row.

Another good point around buying from Tescos is that if you buy the stuff during August, when your vouchers arrive in September you can afford your shopping for freshers week allowing you to spend more on drinks for new friends...mines is a J2O.
Reply 43
a_musical_gal
This means if there is a big tesco close to the uni you are planning to attend you can take some vital items with you and purchase the remaining items during your first week.

Another good point around buying from Tescos is that if you buy the stuff during August, when your vouchers arrive in September you can afford your shopping for freshers week allowing you to spend more on drinks for new friends...mines is a J2O.

Thanks for the info... what vouchers though? :confused:
Adarah
Thanks for the info... what vouchers though? :confused:

Every month when they send your statement there is a load of vouchers which equal your statement or something like that. My mum gets £150 in vouchers each month but she shops there a lot and these vouchers also work in ASDA. (seriously Tesco vouchers in ASDA!)

If you have a clubcard of course.
Reply 45
a_musical_gal
Every month when they send your statement there is a load of vouchers which equal your statement or something like that. My mum gets £150 in vouchers each month but she shops there a lot and these vouchers also work in ASDA. (seriously Tesco vouchers in ASDA!)

If you have a clubcard of course.

wow, sounds like it's worth it! I'll go and read up on that at the tescos website...
Yeah I think it's like you spend £1 and get 1 point back. When you've collected 50 points, they send you a voucher for £1 off.
Reply 47
Kingspharm
Yeah I think it's like you spend £1 and get 1 point back. When you've collected 50 points, they send you a voucher for £1 off.

well, 1 pound for every 50 pounds you spend is better than nothing I guess :p:
Reply 48
a_musical_gal
seriously Tesco vouchers in ASDA!

Yep - ASDA are fab - they'll accept vouchers from any supermarkets pretty much!
Jenn xx
Reply 49
ive just bought alot of stuff to day got a duvet n pillows n covers, n a fold up wash basket...its very cool £2 from tradex hehe :biggrin:
I got a 26pc cutulary (sorry I can't spell) set for £2.97 and £6.97 16pc dinnerwear set and a radio alarm for nearly £4 all from Tesco today!

I have decided that things like bedding I won't get until I know where I am going because if I am going to Bangor I would rather get a bedding bundle from their Student Union and save room in my car.

Also I have decided I am not taking a suitcase as I would have to store it in my room. I will take my "weekend bag" with me because it is a tiny but I always seems to fit a weeks clothes in it. I am not taking my entire warbdone so I reckon a few binbags should do it.
NDGAARONDI
That list has an awful lot of things you won't need and others which you can just buy upon arrival at university to help save space (like A4 folders). And you should bring a computer and a printer? Think I'll miss the printer, they're annoying to use let alone carrying with you on the train...

It might be worth getting a 6 gang socket etc which I notice is not in the list. I myself have a 10 gang one and is vertical too in order to consume less floor space and tidy the leads more.

I would get a wine glass (chalice I use) after settling as glass is brittle.

I'd also take my ROA for new job interviews.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of a printer! When you're up at 4am finishing that essay, you don't want to have to worry about running to the library at some crazy hour of the morning to print off your essay before the deadline!
Reply 52
I'll be taking with me:

1. Storage boxes (whatever looks the funkiest when I go shopping).
2. Couple of lamps
3. Wall clock
4. Some pictures to hang up (maybe one biggish one and a couple of small ones)
5. Towels
6. Make-up, fake tan and an abundance of other such stuff
7. Mini-fridge (my cousin suggested this and I think I shall get one, for putting stuff in that I wouldn't want others kyfin from the fridge- or maybe I'll just not buy one, but anyway)
8. A safe to go inside my wardrobe for jewelley and money and bank stuff and all that jazz
9. A really funky plant in a nice pot, if I can find one
10. Lava lamp
11. Laptop & printer
12. Alarm clock
13. First aid supply
14. Weights and abs cruncher (which will probably be shovved under the bed for good, if, of course, theres room under it)
15. CD player and some CDs, only my favourites though - sort of recent purchases and my all-time favourites that I listen to when it's raining n s*it
16. TV & DVD player
17. My own leel law library
18. Copy of the kama sutra
19. Photo album
20. Digital camera
21. Some cutlery lol and a couple of nice mugs, just in case the uni ones are minging
22. My fur throw, which will go on my bed most prolly!
23. Mobile phone and lots of other electric essentials
24. A hamper of food (whhhhhhhhyyyy?!! ask my mother who is turning into Bree Van De Kamp)
25. Some condoms
26. Everything I buy on the clothes shopping spree I plan to go on shortly before uni starts!
27. A coffee machine, just a leel one, I love fresh coffee. Instant isn't the same!
28. My NI Number card
29. My passport
30. A wall mirror (one to put above the handbasin) because I'm vain like that and wouldn't emerge from my room unless I had checked my hair!
31. A supply of Oreos
32. Fancy dress outfit of some kind, not quite sure what, but I'll definitely take my signed school shirt from year 11 and a tie
33. Formal outfit daaarling
34. A pinboard
35. Fairy lights

Things I WONT be taking:

1. Hair straighteners because I need to stop ruining my hair
2. Wall calendar eww
3. Posters
4. Teddy bears
5. My pink blow up chair cos its too big
6. PS2
7. A football

And prolly a lot more!
Some of those things seem a bit unneeded consider most student accomdation is not massive and you have to get it to uni.

For example

Tv and Dvd player and Cd player and Laptop.

If you have a dvd player on your laptop and a cd player why take separate ones.

Also you would have to folk out for a tv license.

Also, I don't see dishes and stuff.

Oh and check with you unis with mini fridges as some don't allow them.
Reply 54
ilovemonkeys
Don't underestimate the usefulness of a printer!

True, I also found I saved quite a bit of money using my printer as the uni charged 5p a sheet + coversheets, and it cost a lot less than this to print on my 2nd hand laser.
Reply 55
a_musical_gal
Oh and check with you unis with mini fridges as some don't allow them.

Also remember "dont allow" is very different from "will stop you having". Often the cleaners will turn a blind eye to things like fridges or heaters and only turn you in if theres some real hazard in your room like candles. You're often told when you have a room inspection, so it's easy enough to hide stuff in your wardrobe when they come round.
Reply 56
ilovemonkeys
Don't underestimate the usefulness of a printer! When you're up at 4am finishing that essay, you don't want to have to worry about running to the library at some crazy hour of the morning to print off your essay before the deadline!

weeell... I don't have a printer, but you know... maybe some helpful roommates have a printer... don't think everyone has to buy one :wink:
Reply 57
Printer cartridges are reaaaaaly expensive, so it's a bit unfair to rely on other people if you don't plan to contribute something.
Reply 58
Acaila
Printer cartridges are reaaaaaly expensive, so it's a bit unfair to rely on other people if you don't plan to contribute something.

oh, I'd pay them to print (same as I'd pay in the library, only they'd be closer in halls) - would still work out cheaper for me in the long run. that or i just try and get things done early. Probably not many papers to write anyway on a Physics course :wink: , getting a printer would just not be worth it for me at all I think
Reply 59
You could always get on later on if you decided you need one :smile:
My dad bought me a new printer and set of cartridges so I'm a happy bunny :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending