The Student Room Group

Gap year: yay or nay?

Hi

I’m just about to begin year 13 so questions and plans for uni are only going to be getting more frequent in the next few months. I feel pretty settled on the course I want to do - Sport & Exercise Science at Manchester Met or Liverpool John Moore - but the question I can’t get off my mind is should I take a gap year or not? I think part of me always believed I would take a gap year but when I add everything up, I’m swaying towards heading straight for uni.

I know a gap year could help and enrich me in so many ways and I would have time to continue working at my job, travel and gain an insight into different cultures and focus on hobbies and goals, such as I would really love to start a band, plan/draft a book and train hard for sport & football. These experiences could definitely provide me with excellent memories and opportunities that I could present well when starting uni the year after, but there are reasons why I could not fathom taking a gap year at all. Although I am very self motivated and academic, I worry that I may not be able to get back into the momentum of studying all over again and the thing that bothers me most is being older than everyone else when I would start. I know people start uni at all ages and there will be plenty of people who took gap years as well, but the knowledge that the majority of the people I’d have to spend my time with would be over a year younger than me would genuinely frustrate me so much. I know it sounds petty, but I’d feel so much more comfortable with people my own age/older.

So there we are. I know I have time to think about it but right now I am very stuck.

Thank You! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by igobackto505
Hi

I’m just about to begin year 13 so questions and plans for uni are only going to be getting more frequent in the next few months. I feel pretty settled on the course I want to do - Sport & Exercise Science at Manchester Met or Liverpool John Moore - but the question I can’t get off my mind is should I take a gap year or not? I think part of me always believed I would take a gap year but when I add everything up, I’m swaying towards heading straight for uni.

I know a gap year could help and enrich me in so many ways and I would have time to continue working at my job, travel and gain an insight into different cultures and focus on hobbies and goals, such as I would really love to start a band, plan/draft a book and train hard for sport & football. These experiences could definitely provide me with excellent memories and opportunities that I could present well when starting uni the year after, but there are reasons why I could not fathom taking a gap year at all. Although I am very self motivated and academic, I worry that I may not be able to get back into the momentum of studying all over again and the thing that bothers me most is being older than everyone else when I would start. I know people start uni at all ages and there will be plenty of people who took gap years as well, but the knowledge that the majority of the people I’d have to spend my time with would be over a year younger than me would genuinely frustrate me so much. I know it sounds petty, but I’d feel so much more comfortable with people my own age/older.

So there we are. I know I have time to think about it but right now I am very stuck.

I just wrote this blog. Take a read. Might be relevant to your situation:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7395393
Hi

I'm confident that you're not the first to ask this, and you're definitely not going to struggle to find articles about this.

The sort of questions that I have at the top of my mind are:

Why do you want a gap year in the first place? - from the above, it sounds like you're rationalising the decision, but not necessarily given the 'real' reason for doing so

What do you intend to do during your gap year that would significantly help your job/career/educational prospects? Do you intend to do a PT qualification or sports coaching certificates for example?

What are your finances like and what do you specifically intend to do to boost your finances during your gap year? How much will that help?

What's the best use of your time?

Are those life experiences something you truely want/need to do or are they things you kind of would like to do?

Why do you specifically want to do the degree you have chosen?

What job do you intend to do after uni? Will taking a gap year affect your prospects of getting said job?

Why do you have a problem with studying alongside people who are mostly younger than you? Why would a 1 year age gap frustrate you that much?

You don't have to answer any of the above, but they are worth thinking about.

Also, if you feel like you might lose momentum studying, it kind of make sense to study something during your gap year to maintain that momentum, even if it's something small like a mini course on sports and nutrition.

Just to throw in a bit of a different perspective, I have studied alongside people who were 7-40 years older than me, and I generally paid no attention. With those who were 7 years older, I wouldn't have really noticed the age gap until they mentioned it to me; I would have otherwise assumed they matured a bit sooner than I did or were in the year above.
You are also studying for yourself as opposed to for other people. If you're soley going to uni for the student experience, then it's a pretty expensive excursion.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm confident that you're not the first to ask this, and you're definitely not going to struggle to find articles about this.

The sort of questions that I have at the top of my mind are:

Why do you want a gap year in the first place? - from the above, it sounds like you're rationalising the decision, but not necessarily given the 'real' reason for doing so

What do you intend to do during your gap year that would significantly help your job/career/educational prospects? Do you intend to do a PT qualification or sports coaching certificates for example?

What are your finances like and what do you specifically intend to do to boost your finances during your gap year? How much will that help?

What's the best use of your time?

Are those life experiences something you truely want/need to do or are they things you kind of would like to do?

Why do you specifically want to do the degree you have chosen?

What job do you intend to do after uni? Will taking a gap year affect your prospects of getting said job?

Why do you have a problem with studying alongside people who are mostly younger than you? Why would a 1 year age gap frustrate you that much?

You don't have to answer any of the above, but they are worth thinking about.

Also, if you feel like you might lose momentum studying, it kind of make sense to study something during your gap year to maintain that momentum, even if it's something small like a mini course on sports and nutrition.

Just to throw in a bit of a different perspective, I have studied alongside people who were 7-40 years older than me, and I generally paid no attention. With those who were 7 years older, I wouldn't have really noticed the age gap until they mentioned it to me; I would have otherwise assumed they matured a bit sooner than I did or were in the year above.
You are also studying for yourself as opposed to for other people. If you're soley going to uni for the student experience, then it's a pretty expensive excursion.

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. It’s definitely something to think about, and you’re right when you say the age gap won’t really be noticeable anyway. I always had the intention of going to uni to really focus on myself and although I want to make good friends, I’m not the sort of person who intends on going clubbing every night! I also think about that if I took a placement year and made it a 4 year degree, I’d be a year behind all the people who took 3 year degrees anyway, so I won’t really notice at all the age of people around me or what they’re doing.

Once again, thank you. I’ll keep thinking but you have definitely been a big help.
Mindmax2000 wrote an excellent post, I just wish to add that most people who take a gap year find it very useful and makes them a little more mature and ready for university.

For example, during my gap year I set out to do a mixture of things that would help my future and things that will be a tad harder to do at university. I became a care worker, which was an excellent thing to do and should be helpful in reducing the struggle I'll face when trying to get onto the stepping stones for my desired career path, and also made me grow up a little (but not so much as to think I'll be out of place with school leavers and as I like to say, age is but an illusion in young adults :tongue:). I then quit just this June, after exactly a year working and spent the summer doing all sort of fun things I wanted to do - note that I did fun things while I worked as well! - and prepared for university. I feel that my gap year was great and helped me get ready for whatever the future might throw at me. I'm of the opinion you need to go and actively try to do nothing in order to waste a gap year. Hope this is helpful :smile:
Hi

Hi @igobackto505
I think other posters in this thread have made some excellent points for you to consider. As you're about to start Year 13 you've still got around a year (or two if you take the gap year!) to really think about what would be the best thing for you.

My advice is to submit an application for September 2024 on UCAS regardless. That way, if you choose not to take a gap year you'll have your place, and if you go forward with the gap year you can request a deferral from your chosen university to join in September 2025 instead. This is definitely the least risky option and leaves you with time to make up your mind this academic year.

I hope this helps!!
Chloe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest