The Student Room Group

how many clothes do you need to bring for uni?

ive started making list of clothes to bring (first year) and i dont know how many i will actually need? ive made a list of things i regularly wear (some are more formal, some are going out tops, some are casual and there are quite a lot that would work for everything) and im already at 28 tops (not even including hoodies or jumpers)...... i know i probably wont need that many but how many do i actually need? ive already gone through the list about 3 times to remove the things i dont think i need but i would really rather have too many than not enough clothes, how many clothes did other people bring/plan to bring?
Original post by sharkfan800
ive started making list of clothes to bring (first year) and i dont know how many i will actually need? ive made a list of things i regularly wear (some are more formal, some are going out tops, some are casual and there are quite a lot that would work for everything) and im already at 28 tops (not even including hoodies or jumpers)...... i know i probably wont need that many but how many do i actually need? ive already gone through the list about 3 times to remove the things i dont think i need but i would really rather have too many than not enough clothes, how many clothes did other people bring/plan to bring?

I bought all my clothes but i dont have that many clothes. Only thing with having too many clothes is storage. What my sister did (has a lot of clothes) is that she bought half of her clothes up for the season and then when she went home for christmas and easter she would bring some clothes back (especially ones she didnt really wear) and bring back better seasonal ones (e.g. she bought up more summer dresses at easter).

Hey there @sharkfan800 !

My advice is something I really wish I'd done myself when I first started. Just bring the basics at first. You can always go back home and pick up more if you feel like you need it but you always end up bringing way more than you actually wear. I remember when I first got there I brought 6 jackets including two coats and 4 casual jackets. I literally only wear one of the coats and one of the jackets. I did not need to bring that much at all. Same with shoes, you won't wear as many as you think you will. When bringing shoes, make sure you bring some that don't have air bubbles in the soles, some clubs don't let you in with air bubbles in the soles of your shoes. That was something I didn't know before I got there. Invest in some basics that you can reuse for different outfits and it will save you a lot of wardrobe and cupboard space.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hey @sharkfan800,
Hope your looking forward to moving out and starting uni !
Making a list of clothes and items to take is a good start to ensure you don't forget anything critical.
I would echo a point made above about storage. Most student rooms do not have much space which might make you want to not take as many clothes. Personally, I like having a range of clothes and so when I moved out I took a lot and although I wore most of it, I could have done fine with taking less.
I would make sure you have some essentials and take items that can work in multiple outfit combos. Be mindful of colours and practicality of washing. Most students save washing until they have a full load and so taking items which are tricky to wash/ need specific washing requirements may not be a great idea - you would be unlikely to wear it and also wouldn't want to damage it.
If you are likely to return home, it is also a good idea to leave some clothes so you have some clothes which are non-uni clothes. Also, if you plan to go home at all then this may allow you to have a seasonal wardrobe at uni - no point in having lots of t-shirts and shorts if it is winter.
Best wishes for moving out and starting uni ! Catherine - Strathclyde University Student Ambassador

Hey there :biggrin:

It's nice to hear that you will starting University and are preparing for Uni already.

I also agree with the need to consider storage space. It is quite important to look at the space that you have for transport and for your accommodation.

For myself, I was not able to take a lot of things in the first trip. So I just took the basics down at the start of University. I found that this worked quite well for me, every time I headed home I would bring other things that I needed to my University accommodation. I hope this helps.

Best of luck with University! :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
At least 3 clothes.

Hey @sharkfan800! congrats on getting your place at uni, it can be really exciting preparing but also a bit stressful when it comes to things like this.

What I'd say is to only take clothes you genuinely like and feel comfortable in. I took a lot of clothes to uni that I didn't really like because I panicked and thought I would need them, but then actually ended up wearing the same things over and over again because they made me feel more confident and comfortable.

To go to lectures you can dress in whatever you're comfortable in, so prioritise comfortable clothes and a good pair of trainers. Also, I'd say bring things that you can layer. Sometimes lecture theatres are really warm and sometimes they're really cold, so I'd always wear a T-shirt under a hoodie or jumper.

I'd also say bring a couple of outfits that you would wear to go to a club, pub or evening social event. These don't have to be really fancy, just things that you feel confident in.

One thing that I forgot when I started uni was to bring a smart outfit. During my first term, I had a couple of job interviews so I wanted to wear something a bit smarter. I had to go out to buy a smart shirt which was annoying because I knew that I'd left one at home! So I'd recommend bringing one item of smarter clothing if you're planning on getting a part-time job.

The most important thing is not to panic and overpack, everyone at uni will have their own style so take the clothes that you feel comfortable and confident in.

Hope you have the best time at uni!
Abbie :smile:

I aimed for about three weeks worth of clothes :redface: basically I have a 60L DofE backpack and just pack the things that would fit in there. The things I would definitely bring more of are underwear/socks. You definitely won't need 28 t-shirts though! :yikes: If you leave some behind at home then you'll have clothes to wear at home when you visit :smile:

Personally, I would bring the clothes that work with everything as you can always mix + match. Another thing to note is you might buy more clothes once youre there - I've definitely acquired new clothes because my uni town has quite a few clothes shops :hide:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending