The Student Room Group

Unplanned gap year. Ideas on what to do?

Had some recent health problems/family issues which led me to deferring my place at uni. So looks like I'm doing a gap year. I'm probably not going to travel because of said health issues so any ideas on what to do? Are there any gap year internships etc. that are still open for application?
Reply 1
Original post by Mocha Latte
Had some recent health problems/family issues which led me to deferring my place at uni. So looks like I'm doing a gap year. I'm probably not going to travel because of said health issues so any ideas on what to do? Are there any gap year internships etc. that are still open for application?

What kind of things are you into/what course and uni are you going to? I also am deferring my place for similar issues and atm while finishing my coursework writing a rough plan of ideas for my gap year.

One main thing is I think it is a really good time to get a job and begin working even if it's from home as it is a better time than ever to try and get some sort of financial basis before uni and helps gain self-independence.

There are also a lot of online courses you can do which can support you at university, such as OpenLearn from the open university and I looked at some courses and narrowed down some I thought I would enjoy and will complete through my gap year.

There are a lot of hobbies and skills like coding which you can learn on any platform using youtube or some website like freecodecamp, (I recommend C as a first language), although I am not very good at it I would like to improve over my own gap year as well. It helps with things like problem-solving, however, there are many other hobbies you can do that achieve the same thing, like beginning to learn a new language or cooking.

I have a reading list of books that I want to or haven't gotten around to reading which I would like to finish over the year and maybe add some along the way, they are both academic and personal/self-help ones like one called ''Why has nobody told me this before?'' which is a really good book about mental health and helps you consolidate and manage thoughts/emotions. Good for if you are struggling with some family issues or even how to keep well at uni.

There are also various internships and things depending on which subject you look to do, however the easiest way to find these is simply to look up your subject and internships for gap years etc. some research should help you possibly find some, however, it is probably best to look as soon as possible and be sure to keep an eye on certain deadlines, as I imagine some might be soon-ish because its nearly that time people are going into gap years.

Another important thing is it is a good idea to map specific things that will be helpful for uni as I imagine it will come a lot quicker than we both think, like making sure to pay your council tax unless you are exempt and living at home once you are 18 (if not already) and no longer in school, looking at potential extra applications before you start uni like Disability living allowance if you are eligible, the student finance process, enrollment process of your university, a 'buy' list of things you'll to buy for uni especially if moving away so it does not become too overwhelming or feel unprepared when it comes closer.
And another major part of the gap year is to enjoy yourself, while at the same time not slacking off too hard as it is the best opportunity to help develop yourself for university and life in general.
Take a look at the course you are doing and see what may be beneficial towards that course.
For example, I’m taking a gap year this upcoming year and my course I’ll be going into in 2024 is a combination of PE and Human Biology. So, my approach is joining my past athletics group again, volunteering to help there and read to grow my knowledge more. So, I’d recommend taking a similar approach to what I have:

1) Recognise what course you are taking and certain things in that field which could come from online courses, reading books and more remote/local options that don’t impact your health or money too much. Plus, maybe look at courses that aren’t necessarily in your field but could show you have a wider and diverse skill set.

2) Look at certain groups or volunteering options that are local - this could help with your CV and further shows you are willing to learn throughout your gap year and help out despite your difficult scenario.

3) Look for a part time perhaps? And even better, one close to your chosen course! I think this can be really beneficial and sort of gets you out and about before going to uni. I’m looking at getting a part-time job to save for a kickstart to accommodation and my financials due to the difficult living crisis we’re in atm.

4) Build a great productivity attitude towards studies and learning if you don’t fully have it yet. I’m quite worried my determination will drop during this gap year, so I would recommend to try keep in a routine and a positive attitude. Plus, maybe try and find some of the best organisational techniques that work for you, ergo it will help when it comes to uni and you may not be as overloaded. Also, I think the gap year is such a benefit in the chance to get your mental health on track, and working out or self-care etc! So even just smaller goals like that, though ik they aren’t as helpful towards uni but could work wonders for you.

5) You mentioned internships and I’m aware you can find some summer ones, if there aren’t any you have been able to get into this year, there is still next year as uni won’t start till Sep. However, it may be more chaotic around that time.

I hope the gap year goes well for you, all the best! <33
Original post by Mocha Latte

Quick Reply

Latest