The Student Room Group

University necessities?

What are some things I need to get for going to Uni? I would like to be prepared early and have everything before I go, I am looking into getting a new laptop as current one is starting to act up, but apart from a laptop what other things should I get?
Original post by Anonymous #1
What are some things I need to get for going to Uni? I would like to be prepared early and have everything before I go, I am looking into getting a new laptop as current one is starting to act up, but apart from a laptop what other things should I get?

Hi there!

These are some things that I am glad I brought to Uni as I've found them very useful!

For your course:

Laptop

Laptop chargers!

Notepad and pens. Even though you will likely use your laptop a lot, it's useful to have a notebook and pen too for taking notes or writing things down that you need.

A calculator if your course requires it

A rucksack. I brought a tote bag/handbag style bag with me at first for uni but a rucksack is a lot better as sometimes you will be carrying heavy things and your uni can sometimes be a bit of a walk from your accommodation so it's a lot better for your back!

For your accommodation:

2 duvet covers. This is really useful for when one is in the wash you can put the other one on, or if you don't get chance to wash one straight away you have a backup one!

Pictures of friends and family. This is good to make you feel more at home in your new room and I am really glad that I brought these for my room! Try and put them up as soon as you can as this really helped me to feel like it was actually my room when I moved in rather than just a bare room.

Extension leads. Sometimes in your room there may only be a couple of plugs and they may be quite far away from where you need to charge things so I would bring an extension lead!

Headphones. Sometimes in halls it can get quite loud so I would bring headphones in case you need a bit of peach and quiet or want to listen to some music.

A mattress protector! This will protect the mattress from any spills etc which will save you the deposit!

A mattress topper. The beds aren't always the comfiest so this can add an extra layer to help you sleep and make sure it is comfy!

Coat hangers. Lots of people forget these but if you want to hang anything up you will need to bring them yourself as halls don't usually provide them!

An airer/clothes horse. The dryers can get expensive and you don't want to be tumble drying your best clothes anyway in case they shrink so it's worth getting an airer so you can dry your clothes in your room.

There are other things you will need but I've tried to list things you may not think of/ what I've found really useful while I've been at uni!

I would also check what your accommodation requires for you to move in - you may need confirmation of acceptance on your course, your university id card, passport/driving licence etc so it's worth checking this out so you have all of the documents you need on the day.

I hope this helps and good luck at university!

Lucy-SHU student ambassador :smile:
Anon,

I think most of the key things have been covered above, but do also bring crockery (tableware) and cutlery.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi!

As well as what's mentioned above I'd say decorations!!! Decorating really helped me with feeling like this was my actual space and not just a hotel room I was staying in.

My top decorations are fairylights (check accommodation rules for if these need to be battery powered), a nice plant, photos to hang about (if your room has a cork board hanging them on there with cute pins is a good option), blankets, pillows and anything that means a lot to you.

As a more practical take I'd say the magic hangers (the hangers that go down and allow more room for hanging clothes), they are amazing and great if you want to take a lot of clothes with you.

I'd also recommend a clothes hamper for taking your clothes back and forth to the laundry room, IKEA do great ones that are plastic, have a handle and are cheap but any works. I'd just avoid anything heavy, a handle is a must and I liked having one that zipped up on the top so you're not spilling your clothes everywhere if you drop it - that has happened to one of my roommates and they will never forget it.

I hope this might be a little helpful and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi Anonymous #1,

Everyone on this thread has done a brilliant job of mentioning all the necessities. The only thing I can think of that personally helped me was first aid/cold and flu supplies. Having plasters, throat sweets, and items like that definitely saved me when I wasn’t well and didn’t feel like trekking to town!

All the best,

Jen
Original post by Anonymous

Hey there!

It's great that you're preparing early for university! Apart from a reliable laptop, you'll need some essential items for your study space like a comfortable chair, a desk lamp, and stationery. For your accommodation, consider items that make it feel like home such as bedding, cooking utensils, and personal decor. Don't forget about practical things like a laundry basket, hangers, and perhaps a small toolkit for unexpected repairs. It's also useful to have a backpack for carrying books and supplies around campus. Remember, it's okay to not have everything before you start - you'll figure out what you need as you go along.

Please, let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya :smile:

Hello there,

Amazing that you are already preparing for uni. Everyone's already said a lot of stuff and I completely agree.
I would say try to bring practical stuff that you won't need to replace and that can help you a lot during the first few weeks, like scissors, scotch tape, cloths, disinfectant to clean with, wardrobe liners, blue tack in case you want to put up some pictures on the wall...
I would also say that you can probably buy all this stuff when you arrive, so just be careful to not bring too much luggage if you don't really need it. It will save you the headache of a long and tiring move.

All the best
Milena
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Hey! Everyone on here has already done a great job of mentioning the necessities to take with you!

The only thing I would add are any course specific things you might need (it’s worth checking with the upper years about this!)!
Also bringing things from home to decorate your room with are helpful! Loads of accommodations have pin boards so make sure you bring some pins with you as these come in handy!
Finally, you’ll buy bits throughout the year but one thing I wish I had from the start was a wardrobe organiser (one that hangs from the rail) as I didn’t have much storage so this definitely helped!

I hope this helps ☺️

Rebecca, UCLan
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there!
These are some things that I am glad I brought to Uni as I've found them very useful!
For your course:

Laptop

Laptop chargers!

Notepad and pens. Even though you will likely use your laptop a lot, it's useful to have a notebook and pen too for taking notes or writing things down that you need.

A calculator if your course requires it

A rucksack. I brought a tote bag/handbag style bag with me at first for uni but a rucksack is a lot better as sometimes you will be carrying heavy things and your uni can sometimes be a bit of a walk from your accommodation so it's a lot better for your back!

For your accommodation:

2 duvet covers. This is really useful for when one is in the wash you can put the other one on, or if you don't get chance to wash one straight away you have a backup one!

Pictures of friends and family. This is good to make you feel more at home in your new room and I am really glad that I brought these for my room! Try and put them up as soon as you can as this really helped me to feel like it was actually my room when I moved in rather than just a bare room.

Extension leads. Sometimes in your room there may only be a couple of plugs and they may be quite far away from where you need to charge things so I would bring an extension lead!

Headphones. Sometimes in halls it can get quite loud so I would bring headphones in case you need a bit of peach and quiet or want to listen to some music.

A mattress protector! This will protect the mattress from any spills etc which will save you the deposit!

A mattress topper. The beds aren't always the comfiest so this can add an extra layer to help you sleep and make sure it is comfy!

Coat hangers. Lots of people forget these but if you want to hang anything up you will need to bring them yourself as halls don't usually provide them!

An airer/clothes horse. The dryers can get expensive and you don't want to be tumble drying your best clothes anyway in case they shrink so it's worth getting an airer so you can dry your clothes in your room.

There are other things you will need but I've tried to list things you may not think of/ what I've found really useful while I've been at uni!
I would also check what your accommodation requires for you to move in - you may need confirmation of acceptance on your course, your university id card, passport/driving licence etc so it's worth checking this out so you have all of the documents you need on the day.
I hope this helps and good luck at university!
Lucy-SHU student ambassador :smile:

Beans
Noodles
Rice
Pasta
Pasta sauces
Washing powder/gels
University hoody
LED light changing strip or touch button spot light
Slippers
Shampoos etc
Umbrella
A really funky quirky personal mug
Waterproof sticky backed battery powered light for your bathroom mirror.
plastic free glitter
Insure your phone and devices
A potted plant or some Lego ones
A cuddly toy
Forks and spoons (they always seem to get abducted by the aliens)
Tomato ketchup / mayo
Tinned soups
Sticky plasters
Nail clippers / manicure set
Customised lanyard
and if you like to print your notes out, and your uni charges for printing. Get a HP with six month Instant Ink voucher so you can get free printing for six months (all ink included)
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi Anonymous #1,
Everyone on this thread has done a brilliant job of mentioning all the necessities. The only thing I can think of that personally helped me was first aid/cold and flu supplies. Having plasters, throat sweets, and items like that definitely saved me when I wasn’t well and didn’t feel like trekking to town!
All the best,
Jen

Totally agree with this post!

If you take prescribed medicine make sure you arrange a repeat prescription before moving to university, or once you have found a pharmacy near your university arrange to have medicine sent there.

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

This is a fab question- there are definitely things that you don't even think about which you will be thankful you brought!

I think some good things to bring are:

Laptop

Laptop charger

Extension lead

Notepads and pens

A rucksack or a bigger bag which you can use to take to lectures

Mattress protector

Mattress topper

A doorstop- this is really good for freshers week- if you prop your door open it means that people in your flat/corridor will come in and chat to you

An airer or a clothes horse- the dryers in accommodation can be really expensive so it is good to bring a clothes horse so you can save some money.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Hey there!

It's great that you are planning ahead for your university journey. Apart from a reliable laptop, you'll need some basic stationery like pens, notebooks, and highlighters for your studies. For your living situation, consider your comfort and daily needs. This might include bedding, kitchen utensils if you'll be cooking, and perhaps some homey touches to make your new place feel cozy. Don't forget about personal items and clothing suitable for the local weather. Lastly, remember that many things can be bought after you've moved, so it's not necessary to have absolutely everything from day one. Enjoy this exciting new chapter!

Take care,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending