The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
Company hasn't been bought out because GKP probably wanted to realise the full potential of Shaikan and then get the best price for it. 50% of Shaikan = about 10 billion barrels of oil. I'll take that, tyvm. On your bike now.

ah i see now. how many takeover bids has the board rejected then (i haven't seen the board dealing with an actual substantial bid which they are legally obliged to report)? it would be really difficult to round up enough shares for a hostile bid of course, the shares don't turn over that often. in short, your logic is flimsy. don't take it personally, its just money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crcr
ah i see now. how many takeover bids has the board rejected then (i haven't seen the board dealing with an actual substantial bid which they are legally obliged to report)? it would be really difficult to round up enough shares for a hostile bid of course, the shares don't turn over that often. in short, your logic is flimsy. don't take it personally, its just money.

As far as I'm aware, bids go to the KRG and they can reject them without passing them on to GKP and in that scenario they are not legally obliged to report it. I think you're just bitter than you're not in.
Reply 5982

Doubt we'll ever get £27. £14-16 is likely imo. Not sure about the share price. Either it will hit 300p and never come back or trickle down a bit, your choice.

I hope its much more than 14 pounds per share, the amount of oil GKP are sitting on is amazing! :smile:
How did you find out about GKP when they were little?

This is like Horse Racing, it's all about inside information and who you know.

For what it is worth, I don't believe any average joe can win looking on the inside from the outside - you have to be in there with the people who make it count!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5984
Original post by DenmansDinner

For what it is worth, I don't believe any average joe can win looking on the inside from the outside - you have to be in there with the people who make it count!

People who have inside information obviously have a huge advantage over anyone else but that doesn't mean investing wisely and doing research prior can't still net a profit. In that respect, it's nothing like Horse Racing which (99% of the time) is just gambling. If you want to gamble, just open up the FT, close your eyes and pick a share to invest in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Brought some Barclays share when they were at 156. Part of me is thinking sell them this week if they hit 210 220 but I'm also contemplating holding out to see if they hit 290 300 later this year. Hmm
Reply 5986
I would buy shares in Lloyds on the FTSE100 quite likely there share price will triple in the next two years.
Reply 5987
Original post by DenmansDinner

If you're referring to my previous post, as I said, I had been a lurker on the StudentRoom forums anyway, and just happened to spot this thread, and at the time (Sept 2009) everyone was raving about GKP as they'd just announced the preliminary drilling results from the first well I believe...

I would say sharedealing is totally different to outright gambling - if you have a good tip, and know when to consolidate gains/cut losses and not get greedy/or be tempted to cash out too early as I did, you can fairly easily make a decent return. When mentioning it to friends I call it "educated gambling" as there is obviously still risk involved!

A good example of a good combination of luck and a bit of knowledge was my trades in early 2009 with RBS... on the face of it, very risky due to the nature of the economic situation, but since the government had just increased it's shareholding to 70%, I took the position that the bank would not be failing anytime soon and bought some shares at 19p. A month later, despite announcing a massive loss, it was actually much better than predicted by the analysts and the price briefly went crazy, so I sold at 28p. 2 weeks later, reinvested original stake plus profits at 23p and then sold again 2 and 1/2 months later at 43p. All in all went from £325 to around £830.
Reply 5988
Some info about RRL if anyones interested (taken from BB):

So, massive upside at this current SP before taking into account the following projects that holders are buying into with range:

- 2 massive drills in Dharoor Valley (Puntland) - RNS due on the first today or tomorrow and the second to bein at the end of Q1 / start of Q2! First drill 300M recoverable, although Farole publically raised this figure himself in a recent interview.

- New Nugaal licence with even larger prosects than Dharoor. Farole himself said that the first well on this licence will occur this year! So, 3 monster onshore drills this year in Puntland, each one a company maker in their own right.

- Offshore licence - very likely to be signed (along with Nugaal licence this week when all the big boys are together in Puntland). Range are poised to be free carried up until the initial drilling process with a 20% stake in the most prospective offshore licences. Some seriously big numbers here too....

- 2nd Georgia drill with two targets. A shallow gas target and a deeper oil target. If this spuds in the next 2 weeks or so then it will be an interesting race to see whether we reach our gas target in georgia before our first taret in the Shabeel-1 well (Puntland).

- Smith 2 flowrates / data - this will only add to our P1s - we have already been told it is a discovery, but how much.

- Albrecht - we must be very close to TD here, again hopefully this will push more reserves into our PO1 ategory raising our underpinning even higher and making the prospect of a large Texas sale / dividend even more likely in 2012.

- Trinidad, we are due data on multiple wells / flowrates now as our operations steam ahead on our 100% owned projects.

- Trinidad CPR on Herrera prospects - me thinks there are going to be a lot higher numbrs here than many have predicted. Feb looks to be the date of our first deep Herrera drill - with 100% ownership, high quality oil and a great in place to sell the oil to the Trinidadian Gov, then each successful Herrera drill could add double digits to the SP. Many neighbouring Herrera drills flowing at 2000 BOPD!!!

- New offshore licences in Trinidad - it looks like RRL are in a good place to increase their acreage here as the new round of offshore licences gets closer.

- 5% of Tangiers - massive prospects in morocco and Australia, plus soon to list on AIM. i am sure we have more of this coming our way when the time / price is right.

- Colombia - this will happen and looks like another wise addition. Again, it will happen when the timing / money is right.

Going to be an exciting year for range! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally got on the GKP bandwagon at 265.
Would you say thats a decent price?

I'm pretty wary of all this £27 a share talk though. I'd be happy with £5 tbh.
jagjag - not a wise move imho... Gonna be stuck there for a while & if the stock markets go belly up again... hmm..

Good Luck though!
Reply 5991
Range anyone? Puntland news upcoming! :biggrin:
Original post by Malay4ever
jagjag - not a wise move imho... Gonna be stuck there for a while & if the stock markets go belly up again... hmm..

Good Luck though!

Really? Some people seem to think that they will go through the roof.
I've done a bit of background reading, everything seems to be talking the talk. Just not yet sure whether it will walk the walk...
Reply 5993
Original post by jagjag363
Finally got on the GKP bandwagon at 265.
Would you say thats a decent price?

I'm pretty wary of all this £27 a share talk though. I'd be happy with £5 tbh.

Definatley a decent price. Congratulations :smile:

Kozel would have no where to hide if he sold the whole lot for £5!
Original post by Tumpelo
Definatley a decent price. Congratulations :smile:

Kozel would have no where to hide if he sold the whole lot for £5!

Cheers, I've got a bit in RMP as well so depending on what happens with them might sell up and put that into GKP.

Have you got any in GKP?
Reply 5995
Original post by jagjag363
Cheers, I've got a bit in RMP as well so depending on what happens with them might sell up and put that into GKP.

Have you got any in GKP?

GKP is most of my portfolio :smile:
Original post by Tumpelo
GKP is most of my portfolio :smile:

Your definetly hoping the takeover goes well then !!!
Trading halted for RRS on the ASX :awesome: Trading halts on the ASX usually happen before big news is released. LSE will open as normal.
Trading halted for RRS on the ASX :awesome: Trading halts on the ASX usually happen before big news is released. LSE will open as normal.

RRS???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending