The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Looking like a good day for GKP!
Reply 6641
sharetips waiting to exploded... XEL and EMG,
Reply 6642
Original post by axion
out of interest, what is everyone invested in here?

I got into 2 companies on friday;

talvivaara at 181.3p and randgold at 5585p

also in aminex at 4.26p and sig at 91p

gkn & gkp :smile:
GKP annoys me lol. An SP of 400p on pretty much only speculation, but when a decent RNS comes out like this morning, it only moves about 5% -_-.
Reply 6644
Original post by Maccees
GKP annoys me lol. An SP of 400p on pretty much only speculation, but when a decent RNS comes out like this morning, it only moves about 5% -_-.

I rarely look at TA but GKP looks pretty interesting from that regard. The recent drop in volume strongly suggests that most holders are either around breakeven or holding paper losses. This is confirmed if you look back and see that there were big spikes around 200/300/400 on the way up.

In other words, it looks like there is noone left to buy, holders don't want to sell and buyers, presumably looking back at that nasty spike aren't that keen either. My guess would be that it drifts lower until it finds the point where holders can't take it anymore. Again, I would guess that would be around 200p or just below and I imagine when that happens it will be a decent buy again. Interestingly, there was some action when it dropped below 220 but not enough (maybe 5m traded there). The drop-off in volume is unbelivable though, from 25m a day to between 1-2m. This would explain the poor response to the RNS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6645
Will be so tempted to top up of gkp hits 200p

Not worried about dips tbh, shaikan is a world class oil discovery. Everyone knows it, patience is the key.
Reply 6646
GKP has always had zero impact, share price wise, from a positive RNS. Most analysts have said the SP is currently at a bottom, I highly doubt it's going to drop to £2/share. Not that I care if it does, the SP is largely irrelevant since I don't plan on selling.
Reply 6647
Original post by Noble.
GKP has always had zero impact, share price wise, from a positive RNS. Most analysts have said the SP is currently at a bottom, I highly doubt it's going to drop to £2/share. Not that I care if it does, the SP is largely irrelevant since I don't plan on selling.

Exactly, none of the holders are thinking of selling either...why would they? At one point, they had doubled their money, now they have lost it all. Loss aversion. It also seems strange to doubt a fall of another 35p when it has already dropped over 150p. The market tends to move to where it will cause the most pain and 200p will cause a lot of pain. Just speculating though.
...still annoying haha.

I know what you mean though, I think my average is something like 330p, don't have the funds to buy any more at the moment which is a bit of a shame. Although if you are right and it does hit 200p (which wouldn't surprise me after the last couple of months) I'm sure I'll be able to dig money out of somewhere...
Reply 6649
Original post by crcr
Exactly, none of the holders are thinking of selling either...why would they? At one point, they had doubled their money, now they have lost it all. Loss aversion. It also seems strange to doubt a fall of another 35p when it has already dropped over 150p. The market tends to move to where it will cause the most pain and 200p will cause a lot of pain. Just speculating though.

Fair enough, having read what analysts have been saying about GKP however, they seem to think it has hit bottom pretty much, so it isn't too strange that I doubt a further 35p drop. Not to mention the fact that two positive RNS have been released - so I can't really see a drop coming along soon. As I said though, I really don't care, the amount of oil GKP has is ridiculous.
Reply 6650
Original post by crcr
first, if you call the above analysis "in-depth" you have a problem.

second, the problem is that asos is trading over 100x last year earnings and about 40x the forward estimate. what this means is that you getting a poor yield on your investment, if the company does meet expectations (it may not) then your still getting a paltry 2.5%. I would estimate, very roughly, that to make a decent return the top line needs to get to just over £3bn. Then there is the question of how soon this will happen, at the current rate of growth it won't happen soon. i am sure you could more growth for a lower price as well.

third, even if it meets these rather ambitious expectations the share price won't change if the growth expectations fall. again, the big multiple is a serious problem.

fourth, everyone knows it is a "cracking" company, that is why it is priced at a very ambitous multiple. you have to know something other people don't. again, there are probablly less "trendy" companies that will grow faster with lower multiples.

fifth, the underlying business model isn't particularly strong, websites don't really have big economies of scale (you can operate without any inventory) and there are no barriers to entry, apart from any distribution agreements ASOS has with deisgners (unfortunately, fashion changes quickly and any decent brands don't give exclusivity).

sixth, therefore the only reason to buy is because you think there is someone who will pay more than what you paid. very hard to predict what other people will do. something isn't cheap because the price is lower than it was at x time, it is cheaper but no nesscessairly cheap.

i only meant more in depth in the sense my research was done months ago, and i have not looked into it recently, so any new information is more in depth than i currently possess.
thank you for that reply though, you certainly schooled me.
you mind explaining what you meant by your second point, and the yield etc.
i personally thought they did have a very good business model. they were, i believe pioneering in online clothes retailing. free delivery, and more importantly, free returns meant they attracted a hell of a lot of customers. i agree with you about the barriers to entry, there is certainly a lot of competition, but i think they have managed well.
Reply 6651
Original post by Aj-92
i only meant more in depth in the sense my research was done months ago, and i have not looked into it recently, so any new information is more in depth than i currently possess.
thank you for that reply though, you certainly schooled me.
you mind explaining what you meant by your second point, and the yield etc.
i personally thought they did have a very good business model. they were, i believe pioneering in online clothes retailing. free delivery, and more importantly, free returns meant they attracted a hell of a lot of customers. i agree with you about the barriers to entry, there is certainly a lot of competition, but i think they have managed well.

by yield, I meant earnings yield. by the second point, I meant if they meet earnings expectations for next year your earnings yield is still only 2.5%. They have to grow a lot until you get a decent rate. If your aiming for a 10% earnings yield then earnings have to grow to around £110m. At the current margin, this would mean sales of just over £3bn.

it doesn't matter whether they are pioneers or not. being first doesn't make a difference if there are no barriers to entry. in fact, being first is a disadvantage because then people can copy the incumbent's strategy straight away without putting the time in to develop it. another point is that Asos doesn't actually change how people consume, people still buy the same amount of clothes just from somewhere else. In other words, Asos only grows by taking market share and the novelty is just in the fact that it is on the internet...I am sure other apparel retailers are aware of the internet too. all the points you raise don't mean anything, anyone can offer free delivery and free returns (in fact, high-street retailers probablly have an advantage with click-and-collect).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6652
Original post by Axion
What companies do you recommend crcr?

I don't generally do "recommendations", I run a website so my research and track record is there (I won't link), but I will say that FCCN and BSY are "interesting". I am not saying I own either but if your looking for new ideas there are worse ways to spend your time than reading their reports/RNS and thinking about what they do. I would say though that aren't many really fantastic opportunities in the UK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey,

I was wondering, Do you guys trade under a company or just personally?

Appreciate your input.
I'd say most just due it personally...why haha?
I currently use Plus500 as an active trading platform for sharedealing, while using HSBC Invest Direct for long term investments. Is this a good idea?

I'm quite new, have done some research and am currently using the £20 Plus500 offer as a bonus to try and make some profit on shares. As with HSBC, I've invested in 40 Tesco shares in the hope that they will rise by the end of the year.

All seems to be going well, but is there anything I should be aware of or any tips experienced traders can inform me of?
(edited 11 years ago)
Well GKP just went through it's 220p support...
RBS look like a good long term punt. They are paying off the last of their emergency bailout loan this week and report an operating profit of £1.2bn.
Went up 2% today and look to carry on that way.
I'm thinking of putting in £300.

What are your thoughts?
Reply 6658
I would be wary investing in banks, any rise will be very small. It's going to take a long time for rbs lloyds etc to recover.
Original post by Jeester
RBS look like a good long term punt. They are paying off the last of their emergency bailout loan this week and report an operating profit of £1.2bn.
Went up 2% today and look to carry on that way.
I'm thinking of putting in £300.

What are your thoughts?

I've been eyeing it it for a while now

its not moving in an upward direction, its purely sideways...a month or so back, RBS rocketed up 5-6% in a day when it was announced they were to resume dividend payments, but since then it climbed back down to the 23p mark, only for some more news to rocket it up once again
....although in terms of long-term punts...can't get much cheaper from here...keep an eye on it for hitting the 23p mark and then take the punt I'd say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending