The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I messed up. I mis-timed the final question, and only managed to fit in one section of the tables, there was just so much to say!
I got an A last year, but I could do with a better A. Oh well.
Reply 2
If i remember correctly, i thought that i hadnt wrote enough on my bus1 at AS last year and it felt as if i could have said loads more, But if the quality of what you say is good enough and you answer the question then you should be ok.

I managed to get 83/90 without really properly finishing, i thought id ****ed it up too.
Reply 3
Hard Boiled Cop
I just got back from Unit 3. It was ok I guess, q3. (Identify if opportunities helped Jack and Ling succeed rather than concentratring on threats or words to that effect) was a bit iffy, but other than that I think well on the other questions, especially the last.

What about you guys?

haha I know what you mean :smile:

But that exam wasn't to bad.
Reply 4
See you in January!

I forgot what simultaneous engineering meant (Took a guess)...But worse I didn't have a clue on Economies and Diseconomies of scale! The 15 marks question!

But I did take 4 exams today

BUS1 To get to college
BUS2 Unit 2
BUS3 Unit 3
BUS4 To get home

:p:
Reply 5
what did they want for the focusing on opportunities rather than threats?
And what two things could they do to protect their business?
Um and the first question - forgotten what it was about?
I think i did alright, but the three above i dunno if i got the right idea
Reply 6
fredstar
what did they want for the focusing on opportunities rather than threats?
And what two things could they do to protect their business?
Um and the first question - forgotten what it was about?
I think i did alright, but the three above i dunno if i got the right idea

I found that question quite easy, I basically talked about the opportunity and then how the threat affected it, i.e. they opened the larger restaurant and then faced the threat from the competition.

2 things I put was copyright/patents to protect ideas and recepies from been stolen and remanufactured by a different company and also they can keep products 'under closed doors' to prevent competition from getting a similar product idea onto the shelf before Wei Foods does.

And I've forgotten the first question too!
Reply 7
I always always always run short of time in business exams. I'm sure they expect us to write way more than I'm physically capable of writing in the time.

Time management was going okay at the start of Unit2 but I was cutting it fine by the end. It was a resit and I'm sure I did better than last time!!

I'm now relaxing a bit to the sounds of Coldplays new album X&Y, before cracking on with Physics revision :P
Reply 8
Johnt
I found that question quite easy, I basically talked about the opportunity and then how the threat affected it, i.e. they opened the larger restaurant and then faced the threat from the competition.

2 things I put was copyright/patents to protect ideas and recepies from been stolen and remanufactured by a different company and also they can keep products 'under closed doors' to prevent competition from getting a similar product idea onto the shelf before Wei Foods does.

And I've forgotten the first question too!

Lol cool, i talked about how at the beginning there were no threats and then when they moved there were from competition etc. I also talked about Wei Ltd because they said 'Businesses' so i assumed they meant both and i mentioned the possibly bad eco forecasts and the threat of Carrefour pulling out of the deal with the 3 month get out clause thingy.
I got the trademark/copyright one, i also said they could try to be even more efficient and benefit even more from Eco of scale so they could offer even cheaper prices to supermarkets to undercut the potential competition....doubt i got the marks for that :frown:
Seriously forgotten the first question, gone blank haha but i blagged it
Good to hear most people did will, JohnT it doesn't sound like you did that bad!

The 1st question was why it was hard for tertiary businesses such as Jack Lisle to develop a customer base. I sorta guessed this one, I talked about how they didn't spend money on advertising and restuarants generally don't provide a good after-service.
Reply 10
Hard Boiled Cop
Good to hear most people did will, JohnT it doesn't sound like you did that bad!

The 1st question was why it was hard for tertiary businesses such as Jack Lisle to develop a customer base. I sorta guessed this one, I talked about how they didn't spend money on advertising and restuarants generally don't provide a good after-service.

Yeh that is the one, i kinda blagged it. Didn't they ask for two reasons why tertiary businesses find it hard to develop a customer base?
Anyone know the actual 2 answers
Reply 11
Ah yes, the tertiary business question!

1)The primary and secondary businesses will have a advantage in that people will have heard of them through advertising on the TV etc, small businesses SUCH AS (Don't mention the case study company alone!) Jack Lisle probably won't have the sort of money to carry out such advertising.

2)Since small businesses won't offer as much range as a larger one, customers won't visit week in week out, just go on special occassions. This was a fairly hit and miss point, so I backed it up by linking to Jack Lisle and how there won't be a wide a range in his Chinese restauraunt as there would be in a larger restaurant.

Looking at it, I probably did quite well on this Unit 3 but sucked on Unit 2. Oh well :biggrin:
i thought this exam was extremely easy just a tad harder than unit 1 but i finished both of them in good time and i think worst case scenario i calculated i'd still get an A.
Reply 13
Competition would be one i dare say.
Reply 14
/Chris tarrant mode

It's only easy if you know the answers!

---

Talking of BUS1, anybody home yet that did it? What case studys did they provide and what were the questions like?

---

Back to BUS2/BUS3, I can't believe some people spent hours discussing Carrefour and there wasn't a single question on the subject! Except maybe the fact it could be linked in 1 or 2 questions
Reply 15
Well I completley buggered up Bus 2. I have to say it was really quite difficult and the questions I thought were quite random and nasty. I did lots of revision for this paper and I feel that the exam wanted to knock my ability and so I could show off. I hate Business exams too. I really feel that AQA should start to let candidates take in their own pre released case study and then for you to submit it with your exam paper but they will never do that cause they are MEAN!!! Anyway guys I have BUS4 next week so I really need to do that. I am so bored of Business Studies!!!!!!!!
Reply 16
Carrefour could be linked with the last question when it asked about the implications of the forecasted Economic figures, ie the EU to Pound exchange rate, as they are getting paid in Euros then a stronger pound would mean significant loses taking the maximum measurements into account. It could also be linked in with the threats and opportunities, with them being a threat if they get out of the 3 month capacity and thenm having all that capacity.
For 1 i mentioned about the low barriers to entry, the monopolistic competition and that competitors can quickly come into the market, meaning a lot of choice and brand loyalty not being that strong.
I ran out of time really, so much more i could have said, i filled the whole damn book up
Reply 17
I wish this subject was like GCSE Media Studies...i.e. they basically gave you the exam to do at home :tongue:
Reply 18
FAILED.

I didn't know what 'economies of scale' or 'simulataneous engineering'. I had to focus on the parts we didn't do....damn =|
Reply 19
I think I did really well, I knew all the questions and I knew what all the deffinitions were. Who do I have to thank? You guys! You guys kept my revision interesting and gave me ideas I never would have thought of. Thanks for all the help and friendliness you haveall shown and good luck with your results. You're the best ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending