The Student Room Group

TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
The main reason i wouldnt want to buy a tv license is because BBC produce maybe 2-3 good shows a years. I'm not paying 130 odd quid a year so jonathon ross can have a nice swanky car
Reply 141
ily_em
But it's the law... you can't just go round breaking laws just because you don't like them.

Do you drink alcohol? Or smoke?

If you do then you are breaking the law my friend.
just wait an hour or so and watch everything on demand on the internet
Reply 143
I just wont stream when watching on my laptop. :awesome:
Reply 144
Mike20491
It's all very well for people in here to say "Buy a license.. Blah Blah Blah" At the end of the day we ARE STUDENTS, if anything there should be a discount, which would encourage us to pay up! As STUDENTS can't afford 142 pounds for a license sometimes! especially when they are studying a 5 day course, as it isn't practical to get a job! So I say, **** the licensing officer. They can kiss my ass.

I agree with you that there should be a discount, however plenty of students do have TV licenses so being one is not an excuse or a reason to not be able to afford a license.
Simplicity
See I don't see how they could enter your room to check. What legal power have a tv enforcer got to enter your room? none.

Yet I got some gay letter through the post saying that if I don't get a tv licence then a tv enforcer is going to come round to your flat. Another thing it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

I hope when the conservatives come into power they scrap it, but I doubt Cameron has the balls to do it. But, lol I don't really like to be threaten.

P.S. I'm not getting a tv licence and I'm going to watch tv. :mad:
P.P.S. But, lol the BBC. I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.

Simplicity, are you quite mental??? Scrapping the TV license will be an absolute disaster for British TV.

I can't see ITV bothering to make quality documentaries or programmes like Top Gear, Shooting Stars or Doctor Who.

I would happily sell all of my personal belongings to help fund the BBC.
Reply 146
kate03
I agree with you that there should be a discount, however plenty of students do have TV licenses so being one is not an excuse or a reason to not be able to afford a license.

Tbh the kind of people who insist on bringing a TV to uni are usually also the type to be perfectly capable of paying (or getting their parents to pay) for a TV licence
Reply 147
AidanLunn
Simplicity, are you quite mental??? Scrapping the TV license will be an absolute disaster for British TV.

I can't see ITV bothering to make quality documentaries or programmes like Top Gear, Shooting Stars or Doctor Who.

I have never heard of shooting stars but it sounds awfully like something the world could absolutely do without.
Reply 148
Chrrye
I have never heard of shooting stars but it sounds awfully like something the world could absolutely do without.

It's a popular BBC comedy panel show.

And coming from someone with "Boxxy" as their avatar and profile, that's rich.
AidanLunn

Then you sell al your personal belongings to help fund them. I'd happily pay a TV licence just for BBC News. That being said, your and my willingness to pay for the service does not confer upon is the right to force everyone else to, and people will be forced so long as it's possible to be legally required to pay for a TV licence when you have no intention of using any services funded by TV licences.
Reply 150
M_E_X
It's a popular BBC comedy panel show.

And coming from someone with "Boxxy" as their avatar and profile, that's rich.

Hmm I googled quickly HERE it looks extra **** than I could have imagined.

And leave Boxxy out of this lol, she did not charge the world £150 a year to watch her.
Although its certainly more entertaining than the crap I just saw..
Reply 151
Sao Paulo
Why are you so interested in this guy getting a BBC TV Licence if he doesn't even need one ?. As an admin I thought you would be more worried about the miss-information that is being spewed on this thread just to scare people into paying them.

I'm not admin.
sam.hunton
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.

With what evidence? They'll need a warrent to enter your house, as well as take photos.

They can't just wander onto your land.
Reply 153
They cannot enter your property without an order to, it's illegal. Although it would look suspicious.

If you are using an actual TV then it's not about seeing the TV (legally eg. you can have a TV to play console games on and you're not doing anything wrong if you don't actually watch TV). What they do is use a hand held machine which detects television signals being sent, also they have machines in the vans which they can park nearby to houses and detect the signals (this is all form the TV licence website btw). As for pcs I'm not sure what 'proof' is... I can only assume something on your computer to show youve been watching it. Cookies or history or something?

If you don't watch live TV you have nothing to worry about, even with a laptop, because it is their responsibility to proove you HAVE been watching it not ours to prove you HAVEN'T.

And it is LIVE tv so you can survive with 4OD, iplayer (non live), catchup etc etc imo. Though I don't watch much TV.

But as for OP, if you don't follow the law you have to risk the consequences... whether you think it's fair or not, thats how the law works. The line has to be drawn somewhere.
Reply 154
My mum was apparently one of the unlucky ones who went to court for it, bad times. Only time she's ever been involved with the courts...now she works for them :P

EDIT: Interview under caution? Since when can TVL "enforcement officers" caution you? They're no constables :|
Reply 155
kpwxx
If you are using an actual TV then it's not a
bout seeing the TV (legally eg. you can have a TV to play console games on and you're not doing anything wrong if you don't actually watch TV). What they do is use a hand held machine which detects television signals being sent, also they have machines in the vans which they can park nearby to houses and detect the signals (this is all form the TV licence website btw). As for pcs I'm not sure what 'proof' is... I can only assume something on your computer to show youve been watching it. Cookies or history or something?

There has never been any evidence to suggest detector vans are real or are actually in use by TVL. Indeed, all things considered, they would be an expensive waste of money.

Even if there was a television detector, the technology would be able to detect a computer as a receiver. Indeed, it would probably detect any number of objects which operate in similar ways.

Strangey
They can't just wander onto your land.

They can, unless you tell them otherwise. Implied right of entry - hence how people can post things through your letterbox. They'll also have a wander about, given half the chance.
Reply 156
AidanLunn

ITV is rubbish, but it is certainly not the be-all and end-all of commercial television in the UK. Doctor Who is a popular programme, it would certainly be in the interests of a private television company to make it. Shooting Stars, even more so - considering how cheap it is.

There is plenty of choice; and of course, you forget that having a state-funded broadcaster drives down the quality of private output, who essentially are forced to compete with an organisation that people cannot unsubscribe from and can charge outrageous fees for their 'service'.
tvcatchup.com
Reply 158
Well I for one wont be buying a license, all my TV will be used for is my rather large DVD collection. Iplayer and 4od will suffice :wink:

This site is awesome: BBC TV LICENSE

P.s. - To those with more knowledge than I, my Landlord has an aerial installed in every room in my student house, I wont be using it, an with Analogue being turned off without a freeview box they cant say anything about that can they?
Reply 159
L i b
ITV is rubbish, but it is certainly not the be-all and end-all of commercial television in the UK. Doctor Who is a popular programme, it would certainly be in the interests of a private television company to make it. Shooting Stars, even more so - considering how cheap it is.

There is plenty of choice; and of course, you forget that having a state-funded broadcaster drives down the quality of private output, who essentially are forced to compete with an organisation that people cannot unsubscribe from and can charge outrageous fees for their 'service'.

On the plus side I do appreciate BBC pissing off Sky in their quest for world media domination...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending