The Student Room Group

is bills included or excluded better for second year uni house?

Me and my friends are planning to sign the lease for a house at the beginning of term. The landlord has told us we can do a bills included or excluded package. Ideally we would like to do a included package to save the hassle of sorting out bills but the package is 35 pounds a week extra which seems too high. We've calculated that doing our own bills is about 15 a week which could save us hundreds over the year but some of my group doesn't want to do this as they think it will lead to arguments about energy and water usage and will be too much of a hassle.
Original post by purple256
Me and my friends are planning to sign the lease for a house at the beginning of term. The landlord has told us we can do a bills included or excluded package. Ideally we would like to do a included package to save the hassle of sorting out bills but the package is 35 pounds a week extra which seems too high. We've calculated that doing our own bills is about 15 a week which could save us hundreds over the year but some of my group doesn't want to do this as they think it will lead to arguments about energy and water usage and will be too much of a hassle.

In all likelihood, you've likely underestimated the costs of the various bills (just because it's natural to have done so) and your landlord will have intentionally overestimated the cost (as they don't want to risk being out-of-pocket). So the likely saving by opting to handle to your own bills is likely less than £20 per week. It's probably closer to £10.

Only you can determine how much the hassle-factor is worth to you (and those sharing the house with you). Those who want the bills included likely have more money available to them, and so are happy to pay extra to avoid the hassle.
Reply 2
It’s as you say, the landlord will have calculated the included price to ensure they don’t lose out, so you will pay more. What also needs to be figured in is the advantage of avoiding hassle, disputes and even some people not paying up what they owe. In our house there were disputes and a person that didn’t pay their share in the end. Unless you firmly believe your group can be tolerant of different usage levels and are all reliable and trustworthy, the all bills in might be a better bet than you imagine
Reply 3

Id be curious to know what bills are included, when i was in student accommodation they were bills included, and that was gas, electricity, water, internet, tv license ect. And it all adds up. Im a single person in a little flat, thats not in much, and doesnt use heating and all my bills are about £100 ish a month
It's up to you, although I gather when bills are included the landlord gets to decide what heating level you are on and when it goes on...which may lead you to being half frozen half of the year. I'd personally rather just directly manage my own bills and at least have control over that in the comfort of my own residence.
Reply 5
Don't underestimate the tension it can cause when people in the house think that other people are spending too long in the shower or have the heating on too early or too long.

Agree 15 may be a bit low as an estimate.
(edited 3 months ago)
i'd prefer bills to be included personally, less stress on how much energy to use or how much energy you're using
Hi there,
With bills included, always make sure that there are no hidden costs or charges for going over a specified limit. There aren't with us at Student Roost but there can be costs with other providers or agents. In terms of bills included or excluded, I'd always say bills included.

-Nicky

Hi there

Personally I always did the package of bills because it makes it so much easier in my opinion. You just send the money to the company and they sort it all out for you which I find much better. I know alot of people who do the bills themselves and it is definitely doable and could potentially save money, I just personally would rather pay a little extra for ease.

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

The best option for your second-year uni house depends on your individual circumstances, priorities, and housemate dynamics. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and make a decision that best suits your needs and preferences.
Reply 10
We went for the included package in our place, and yeah, it's pricier, but it's been a lifesaver for avoiding roommate disputes. The peace of mind is kinda worth the extra cost for us.

Hi there,

I've done both and bills included is definitely easier and less stressful. However, if you're on a tight budget and are happy to limit your usage, it's better to just not have bills included.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
I prefer paying my own so I I know what I'm paying for, if disputes are going to arise I'd rather they were with my housemate than my landlord who holds disproportionate power.

Also it won't affect but everyone, but you get to a point where you need to start providing letters and bills as proof of ID for stuff and it can be a bit awkward if everything is in someone else's name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending