The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh, and root(32) = root(16x2) = root(16)root(2) = 4root(2) so you can cancel from there.
Reply 41
My Alt
Oh, and root(32) = root(16x2) = root(16)root(2) = 4root(2) so you can cancel from there.

wow and that's all just one question of the whole 9 on the sheet lol

amazing :/
Reply 42
Well, as I said, it will probably get a lot easier once you have covered more topics in C1 and C2, and get more experience with these kind of questions. I remember sitting there with my first FP1 homework going ??? and I was actually in the lesson, heh.
Reply 43
My Alt
Well, as I said, it will probably get a lot easier once you have covered more topics in C1 and C2, and get more experience with these kind of questions. I remember sitting there with my first FP1 homework going ??? and I was actually in the lesson, heh.

Ahh yeah, thanks for your help man I really do appreciate it

Erm, can you help me with these aswell, they should be quicker as they're the 1st question and I've done the first one but they still baffle me lol

Find the roots of the equations

4z^2 + 0 = 9

z^2 - 2z + 2 = 0

4z^2 + 4z + 5 = 0

are the above quadratic?

The first one I got was z^2 + 25 = 0 which was kinda easy because I just -25 from both = z^2 = -25

z = +- root -25

z = +- root -1 x root 25
z = +-5j
Reply 44
Yeah, the quadratic formula should do for all of them. You might be able to get the first without it though, is that supposed to be a 0, or a 10 :p: ?
Reply 45
My Alt
Yeah, the quadratic formula should do for all of them. You might be able to get the first without it though, is that supposed to be a 0, or a 10 :p: ?

ahh sorry the first one is 4x^2 + 9 = 0 lol
Reply 46
so that one you should be able to do w/o the quadratic formula too =)
Reply 47
My Alt
so that one you should be able to do w/o the quadratic formula too =)

4z^2 + 9 = 0

4z^2 = -9

from this point on is where i get confused lol

4z = root (-9)

what now lol
Reply 48
UkChris
4z^2 + 9 = 0

4z^2 = -9

from this point on is where i get confused lol

4z = root (-9)

what now lol

4z = +-3i?

lol no clue
Reply 49
You can't do that, you have to square root the whole of both sides, I'll show you for this example:

4z2+9=0    4z2=9    z2=94    z=±944z^2 + 9 = 0 \implies 4z^2 = -9 \implies z^2 = - \frac{9}{4} \implies z = \pm \sqrt{-\frac{9}{4}}

I'll let you put it into the form of an imaginary number :wink:
Reply 50
My Alt
You can't do that, you have to square root the whole of both sides, I'll show you for this example:

4z2+9=0    4z2=9    z2=94    z=±944z^2 + 9 = 0 \implies 4z^2 = -9 \implies z^2 = - \frac{9}{4} \implies z = \pm \sqrt{-\frac{9}{4}}

I'll let you put it into the form of an imaginary number :wink:

z = +- 9/4i?

-.-' this stuff is really confusing lol

I know root -1 = i
Reply 51
Almost.

±94=±1×94=±941=±94i=±32i\pm\sqrt{-\frac{9}{4}} = \pm\sqrt{-1 \times \frac{9}{4}} = \pm\sqrt{\frac{9}{4}}\sqrt{-1} = \pm\frac{\sqrt{9}}{\sqrt{4}}i = \pm\frac{3}{2}i
Reply 52
ahh thanks =D
UkChris
-.-' this stuff is really confusing lol

No offence, but this stuff is not really confusing. You seem to be doing a further maths module without ever having done C2 binomial expansion, and without realising that (a^2 + 1)^2 and a^4 + 1 are not the same thing, which (last I checked) came up around year 10. Same with surd manipulation, which is also around year 10. All of the stuff you're calling "really confusing" should be very basic, very obvious techniques to you by now - you're not actually struggling with the idea of a complex number at all.

Go back and revise GCSE and AS maths. Did you just go back to school straight after the summer having forgotten it all and expect to be taught it all again from scratch? :s-smilie:
Reply 54
np, as you can probably tell by now I don't seem to leave the house (or the computer) all day so if you need any more help, odds on I'll be here, heh.
Reply 55
generalebriety
No offence, but this stuff is not really confusing. You seem to be doing a further maths module without ever having done C2 binomial expansion, and without realising that (a^2 + 1)^2 and a^4 + 1 are not the same thing, which (last I checked) came up around year 10. Same with surd manipulation, which is also around year 10. All of the stuff you're calling "really confusing" should be very basic, very obvious techniques to you by now - you're not actually struggling with the idea of a complex number at all.

Go back and revise GCSE and AS maths. Did you just go back to school straight after the summer having forgotten it all and expect to be taught it all again from scratch? :s-smilie:

i can assure you this stuff wasn't in gcse maths

and also, I just started college
UkChris
i can assure you this stuff wasn't in gcse maths

and also, I just started college

Multiplying out brackets bloody well is in GCSE maths, and so is the manipulation of surds. And if you've just started college, and therefore haven't done AS maths, you shouldn't be doing questions that require AS maths, i.e. questions that imply you should use binomial expansion, since FP1 is more advanced than C1 and C2. To find out which questions you should be doing, you need to be in college. So, like everyone's been saying for quite some time, go and ask someone in college or your teacher what your set work is.
Reply 57
generalebriety
Multiplying out brackets bloody well is in GCSE maths, and so is the manipulation of surds. And if you've just started college, and therefore haven't done AS maths, you shouldn't be doing questions that require AS maths, i.e. questions that imply you should use binomial expansion, since FP1 is more advanced than C1 and C2. To find out which questions you should be doing, you need to be in college. So, like everyone's been saying for quite some time, go and ask someone in college or your teacher what your set work is.

I know which questions I should be doing because that's the worksheet that was given and she said do questions 1 - 5, and that was question 3

I have never done binomial expansion but maybe others in my class have, I dunno, all I know is that I find it very confusing.
UkChris
I know which questions I should be doing because that's the worksheet that was given and she said do questions 1 - 5, and that was question 3

I have never done binomial expansion but maybe others in my class have, I dunno, all I know is that I find it very confusing.

Fine. And my suggestion to you is to go back and revise the maths you should already know. Even if this doesn't involve binomial expansion, it should include multiplying out sets of brackets and manipulation of surds. Unless you know those and everything else from GCSE inside out, you are going to find further maths very difficult, and this is only the beginning.
Starting with the algebra section;

http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pure/

will give you the grounding you need aand it covers many of the things that will come up. If you need any hel we will be here (or someone will eventually will).

Latest