The Student Room Group

Not Suitable For Microwave Cooking

Right, so I've got a quiche. But it says it's not suitable for the microwave. The cooking guidelines only show an oven, but mine doesn't work.

Can I just put it in the microwave, anyways? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

I suppose you could try... if it's in a foild container make sure to take it out though.
Reply 2
It wont go brown on the top if you put it in the microwave, unless you have one thats also an oven type thingy. Obviously you have to take it out of the metal it comes in too. I dont know if cooking it in the micro is a good idea, but I guess its better than starving.
Actually scrap that, if it's uncooked pastry and uncooked eggs it probably wouldnt work in the microwave. If everything is cooked and you only have to heat up i'd think microwaving it would be ok but if its raw or partially cooked it would probably need to be baked in an oven.
Reply 4
Yes, you can (out of the foil of course) but the pastry will be soggy because the microwave traps the steam.
Reply 5
Ask your neighbour if you can use their oven...or have beans on toast instead :smile:
It should be cooked already, you are only heating it up. So you could eat it cold.

If it wasnt cooked, surely the eggy bit would be runny?!
Reply 7
I decided against it in the end. Ate noodles instead. :emo:
Reply 8
TuckingFypo™
I decided against it in the end. Ate noodles instead. :emo:

No. :awesome:
You should put it on coals like our grandmothers used to. In clay pots outside.
gtfo :nothing:
Reply 11
Should have eaten it raw and you would have become a god.
TuckingFypo™
gtfo :nothing:

No. :angry::proud:
Reply 13
I'm fairly sure you could cook it in a microwave, just would have an odd texture. Failing that, borrow an oven, or fashion a makeshift oven out of a barbecue and a clay pot or something.
i always put pies in the microwave, i'm not gonna bother with 40 mins in the oven for a snack. it just gets a bit soggy it doesn't matter really i just don't wanna eat it cold.
TuckingFypo™
gtfo

I was being serious. Do it over some hot coals in the garden. I'll make some dhal and we can make a day of it :smile:
Okay, tomorrow I'll stick it in the microwave and report back. :colondollar:

:eating:
If it was just heating up then you could put it in the microwave, but it would be soggier than if you put it in the oven.
Chances are it will be fine but id say take away next time :wink:
Quiches are already cooked, and are often eaten cold...

Quick Reply

Latest