The Student Room Group

The MOST words you've written in one day at uni??

Ok what is the most words you've EVER written in one day at uni?

I have a friend who has written, no joke, 2000 words in one day :eek:

I could never do that!

I'm aiming for about 1000 today, but I slept in until 10 so we'll see how we go, oopsies :o: :biggrin:

I think the most I've ever written is 1,500 and that was in my undergrad, but I got a crap mark not surprisingly!

The most I've written and got a great mark would be about 600.

DBxox

Scroll to see replies

danni_bella

Lol, that's really not as impressive as you think it is. I have done several 4000 word essays in one sitting, along with coursemates who were doing the same.

It depends on what style of working suits you best tbh, but i find that if i do work in lots of different short bits then its gets a bit broken up and messy. I prefer to head in to the library early in the morning, spend an hour getting all the info/books/journals i think i'll need then work non-stop (except for a short lunch break) till it closes at midnight.

My personal record was a coffee fueled ~7000-8000 word chunk of dissertation in one VERY long day (science dissertation as well, so no poetic license allowed).
erm i've never counted.

Essay time and the deadline was in 4 hours . . .
I did a day with 3 philosophy essays, 2 politics essays and a law essay and it was probably around 8000 words in the end. This was A level though.
Reply 5
5000. Final year project (~16000 words in total). Got 78% for it so it wasn't all waffle!
Reply 6
I wrote like 15 words in one day once. First year was very productive.
Probably 2,000ish. I don't like doing that though it gives me brainache and it comes out like mumbojumbo unless I take frequent breaks.
not at uni so haven't yet although i've probably done a 1000-2000 in history exams or maybe even more....... the horror of those papers - and to think that was only GCSE. Glad i dropped it lol

I'm more worried about how much reading i have to do :frown:
hoonosewot

I prefer to head in to the library early in the morning, spend an hour getting all the info/books/journals i think i'll need then work non-stop (except for a short lunch break) till it closes at midnight.

seriously? **** me that's dedication :p:
Never actually counted but me and two mates did 5000 words in bout 6 or so hours-from draft, those deadlines are a pain :wink:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Lol, it never struck me as anything spectacular, there was a group of about 4 of us that did it pretty regularly.

The only time i think it got too much was when we had a biochemistry exam at 9am Tuesday morning, so we all slept into the afternoon on Monday, then pulled a 20 hour overnight revision session in an empty lecture theatre. We were all paranoid that if we slept before the exam we would forget everything :biggrin:

To this day i can still draw an incredibly complicated spider diagram depicting the entire process and nature of osteogenesis in considerable depth.
hoonosewot
Lol, it never struck me as anything spectacular, there was a group of about 4 of us that did it pretty regularly.

The only time i think it got too much was when we had a biochemistry exam at 9am Tuesday morning, so we all slept into the afternoon on Monday, then pulled a 20 hour overnight revision session in an empty lecture theatre. We were all paranoid that if we slept before the exam we would forget everything :biggrin:

To this day i can still draw an incredibly complicated spider diagram depicting the entire process and nature of osteogenesis in considerable depth.

uni sounds like a bitch doesn't it
hoonosewot

That's insane, lol. For A levels I got up at around 4-5am and revised the entire exam(s) if they were in the morning, if the afternoon I was more lucky. I have a very good short term memory so it's better for me to learn everything the day/night before. Also, I got AAA. :wink:

As for words, I dunno, about 2000 in one day? I'm like this user ^ who works non-stop. Get the flow going, man.
uni sounds like a bitch doesn't it

Lol, naa it's not too bad. It's just around exam time that it got that hectic, but that's to be expected.
That said though, im moving onto a med course starting next week, and i've heard horror stories about the work load for that.
Ive done a few essays in one sitting, 1500 words and 3000ers. Its a bit weird. I sort of zone out and go into autopilot, but in a good sense, and just steam roller through it.

In terms of handwritten, maybe a maximum of 8-10 sides if you include everything on my busiest of busy days.

As for nutty exam routine, I unintentionally would wake up at about 2-4am, and then just stay up. I even ended up watching movies or going for walks to pass the time until it was a reasonable hour, revise a bit and head into the exam. Id go to bed later and later throughout until it just sort of rolled over and meant i was getting up super early......or late depending how you look at it :P
Reply 16

I always have visions of myself doing that, then I'm like - **** it. I'll do one library trip after work on Tuesday for half an hour, one book will do. Can get the rest off the net :p:
Probably around 2500 words and that wasnt for my thesis, it was for my coursework at high school.

Oh, written exams at uni, about 15 sides so thats 1500x5 = 7500 words-ish for a biochemistry exam.
I have no set target for number of words a day but I do give around a week for each formative and summative essay I do.
Reply 19
danni_bella

Isn't that completely normal? The minimum essay length in first year for my courses is generally 2,000 words, and I always write my essays in one sitting. I'm pretty sure that most people do that to be honest.

Oh, and to answer the question, I've written two 2,000 word essays in one day at university before; but beating that by a mile, at school I wrote 4,500 words for my Advanced Higher English dissertation on 'Absurdism and existentialism in the works of Albert Camus', researched and written between 3am and 7:30am the morning that it was due. What a nightmare, still got a good grade though. :yy:

danni_bella
I could never do that!

I'd be very surprised if you've not written more than that in an exam before.

Latest

Trending

Trending