The Student Room Group

How to find the citations?

I have already finished my dissertation but haven’t sited any resources, how can i do it now?
Reply 1
Eh? Are you saying you've written an entire dissertation without any references in it?
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Eh? Are you saying you've written an entire dissertation without any references in it?

I

I have referenced!

but in some sections I haven’t cited, for example: writer and the year within brackets at the end of each paragraph.
Reply 3
Original post by Kanzfath
I have referenced!

but in some sections I haven’t cited, for example: writer and the year within brackets at the end of each paragraph.

Any easy way to find the resources to create the citation?
it would be great if anyone could help
Reply 4
Why didn't you do this as you went?

Surely you know who you are discussing at each point and where you pulled the ideas in the discussion from?

This is incredible, and not in a good way.
I have referenced!

Hello,

Perhaps try looking through your web history, to look for the source that you didn't cite. And for future reference, I would suggest creating a separate document and inputting all the sources you used or want to use with the link to it so you can easily find it and you won't have to go through the trouble of looking for a reference if you forgot/did not add the citation.

Hope this can help :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)
Reply 6
Original post by Durham Students
Hello,

Perhaps try looking through your web history, to look for the source that you didn't cite. And for future reference, I would suggest creating a separate document and inputting all the sources you used or want to use with the link to it so you can easily find it and you won't have to go through the trouble of looking for a reference if you forgot/did not add the citation.

Hope this can help :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Thank you, i have the habit of doing that
But a mistake happened this time. Im trying to find it
I have already finished my dissertation but haven’t sited any resources, how can i do it now?

I would see your department librarian ASAP, who usually are very helpful in referencing, and can help you use the right style of referencing your uni department uses. May I ask what you usually do in assignments as to whether you've previously referenced? :smile: Usually referencing is where extra marks get picked up, so I'm a little surprised you've got to 3rd year and you haven't done this as you've gone along.

Anyhow, as mentioned by someone else I think your best bet would be to go through your internet history and make a list of the articles you've used, include the hyperlinks too. Input them into a citation generator as this will save you time. Personally, I use https://www.mybib.com/, but there's other citation tools e.g. Cite This For Me, Endnote, etc. If you can't find where you've quoted stuff I'd copy and paste the more technical stuff into Google and hopefully the journal/article will come up.

Good luck! :hugs:
(edited 7 months ago)

Hey there @Kanzfath !

My advice is to go back through it and have a look at where you've hinted at theories that already exist. See if you can find academic resources that give evidence to the theories you've come up with yourself and try and slip quotes in or rephrase your own ideas if they already exist. You may have to adjust the word count here and there to make up for it but you need references in your dissertation. It will specify in your brief whether references are included in your word count but in some cases you may have to add more words in that contextualise your academic reference before you use it. To reduce your word count, I would advise picking out sentences where you can remove connectives and replace them with punctuation. If you have spoken about people's writing as you went, as you've stated in other replies, it's so much easier to do this as you go.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 9
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Kanzfath !

My advice is to go back through it and have a look at where you've hinted at theories that already exist. See if you can find academic resources that give evidence to the theories you've come up with yourself and try and slip quotes in or rephrase your own ideas if they already exist. You may have to adjust the word count here and there to make up for it but you need references in your dissertation. It will specify in your brief whether references are included in your word count but in some cases you may have to add more words in that contextualise your academic reference before you use it. To reduce your word count, I would advise picking out sentences where you can remove connectives and replace them with punctuation. If you have spoken about people's writing as you went, as you've stated in other replies, it's so much easier to do this as you go.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

This would help!
thank you :smile:

Hi there!

Most references can often be found on the side of the papers that you are using. If you are struggling with referencing, definitely contact your university for academic support as most will have dedicated services to help you with this. This also helps as there are many different styles of referencing so they will make sure that you are using the right one!

I hope this helps!
- Rebecca, 4th year at UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending