The Student Room Group

Do I have a processing disorder?!

All my life I’ve never been able to finish an exam paper I’ve made ,do but as I’m in uni this is really affecting me .
I do have adhd but I think something else is wrong or maybe I panic and overthink.
I was given extra time for an exam today I struggled sm when it came to answering the the questions despite being permitted to bring written aids into the exam, maybe my notes were bad but it took me two hours to semi finish the first half of the paper (question 1 of 2) . Even if I know I have to write something and know what I’m going to right the words struggle to come out and I can’t word them. I think I failed because I didn’t even complete the paper and don’t think I translated my points well/accurately and is this is a core module. I will have to repeat but idk what to do , do I have some sort of actual underlying medical issue?!! . I was diagnosed with ADHD and given medication and I concentrate a bit better but honestly the result is still the same it’s like there’s constant cloud covering my thoughts . My teacher told me once I had a “scatter brain” and it’s true but I think it’s something more serious for example :if I I watch one 45 min lecture it’ll take me 5 plus hours to get notes down with no distractions , I’ve tried to do practice exam questions at home and I could not even with the notes infront of me write the essay my constantly draws a blank, it took me more than three hours to write about 600 words I struggly to compartmentalise my thoughts to a pony where it’s interfering with my life, no matter how hard I revise. . Is it exam anxiety or something wrong ?
Any advice appreciated
Hello,
I feel sad that you are going through this. It sounds like ADHD and these days there are apps that help with coping mechanisms. AT this point, I must tell you that so many great people have ADHD. it juts means that the brain works in a different way to the people who set exams, write text books. What you need are coping tactics. Here are some apps that you might like to explore:
Best overall: SimpleMind Pro Mind Mapping
Best for setting reminders: Due Reminders & Timers
Best for taking and organizing notes: Evernote
Best for reducing overwhelm: Remember the Milk
Best for collaboration: Asana
Best for managing your to-do lists: Todoist
Best for Pomodoro: Brain Focus
Best for project tracking: Trello
Best for simplicity: Clear Todos
Best for security: Bear
Best for productivity: Productive Habit Tracker
Other things to do:
make sure that you have download time where you just sit and do nothing and try to empty your brain ( gradually reduce this time over months)
expose your brain to calm music/sounds. The frequency of 432 Hz is associated with calming the neuronal firing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxHctJZflh8&t=39s
Try not to listen to loud, riotous music for a few weeks
Make lists and cross off items that you have accomplished e.g. took plates to the kitchen
sleep may be a problem, but try being in bed for 9.30 even if you find it hard to sleep. Just say to yourself. 'I might not sleep but I'll leave that to my brain to decide!'
Learn to breathe slowly, in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly for a few minutes, especially when you feel panicky.
Connected with the previous point, meditate, pray have some way of reaching to the Higher Power ( Allah, God, Yahweh, Jehovah)
Take things slowly and don't be impatient with yourself
Speak to the University counsellor about the issue
Most of all don't be hard on yourself and look for a process that might take time but is longer lasting!
I'll be praying for you!!!
Reply 2
See your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I feel sad that you are going through this. It sounds like ADHD and these days there are apps that help with coping mechanisms. AT this point, I must tell you that so many great people have ADHD. it juts means that the brain works in a different way to the people who set exams, write text books. What you need are coping tactics. Here are some apps that you might like to explore:
Other things to do:
make sure that you have download time where you just sit and do nothing and try to empty your brain ( gradually reduce this time over months)
expose your brain to calm music/sounds. The frequency of 432 Hz is associated with calming the neuronal firing
Make lists and cross off items that you have accomplished e.g. took plates to the kitchen
sleep may be a problem, but try being in bed for 9.30 even if you find it hard to sleep. Just say to yourself. 'I might not sleep but I'll leave that to my brain to decide!'
Learn to breathe slowly, in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly for a few minutes, especially when you feel panicky.
Connected with the previous point, meditate, pray have some way of reaching to the Higher Power ( Allah, God, Yahweh, Jehovah)
Most of all don't be hard on yourself and look for a process that might take time but is longer lasting!

It' really good that you have provided such a useful information that will help...
Reply 4
Hello,
Other things to do:

Thank you i appreciate your kind words , it feels like at times I’m not made to be in uni and even tho I may have to repeat the year I just have to be patient. It’s jus knowing that you could have done well,I spent ages revising and preparing 12+hrs a day to not be able to finish a paper and now I’m gonna have to probs resit the year cuz of this one core module and not to mention disappointing my parents or the financial implications of resitting. Thank you again tho fr will deffo try some of those things out .
In a few years time, you will look back on these words that you have written and wonder if it was really you. I know it's one of those phrases that is always said but 'Don't ever give up' and start the day with a smile ( for yourself ). It will release endorphins. I am so much older than you and your words remind me of how I felt around your age. Things worked out well for me, maybe could have been even better if I hadn't worried so much about what other people thought and didn't compare myself to others. As long as you always look for a solution, you'll feel better. Please don't be hard on yourself. Enjoy your life, you're only young once and life does get better.
Thank you i appreciate your kind words , it feels like at times I’m not made to be in uni and even tho I may have to repeat the year I just have to be patient. It’s jus knowing that you could have done well,I spent ages revising and preparing 12+hrs a day to not be able to finish a paper and now I’m gonna have to probs resit the year cuz of this one core module and not to mention disappointing my parents or the financial implications of resitting. Thank you again tho fr will deffo try some of those things out .

I have just seen your message. How are you? I hope you are feeling like you are in a better place!
Reply 7
I have just seen your message. How are you? I hope you are feeling like you are in a better place!

Hi
I’m better thank you
I made it into final year by some miracle and trying to stay on top of things which is hard . I appreciate you checking in .
Hope everything is going well with you :smile:
Hi
I’m better thank you
I made it into final year by some miracle and trying to stay on top of things which is hard . I appreciate you checking in .
Hope everything is going well with you :smile:

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that you are feeling better. May your final year be spectacular in every way.
Bye and take care of yourself.
Ps thank you for asking, I am very well.

Quick Reply

Latest