The Student Room Group
The Stig
I need to send documents to my car insurance company. They have provided me with a pre-paid envelope. I was wondering whether I can still send it recorded delivery in the pre-paid envelope? and would the insurance company accept it?

Hmm. I don't know the answer, but I'll take an educated guess. I'd imagine that pre-paid envelopes are made for a specific type of postage. Does the envelope have a big '1' or '2' in the top right hand corner (example)? If so, then I'd reckon you can only send it as what the envelope dictates. The only way to send mail by recorded delivery is by doing it from a post office (I think?) and they'll soon stop you if you hand it over to them asking for (free) recorded delivery. It doesn't cost much to send something recorded though, at least if it's not a particularly big letter or package. If you offer to pay for recorded delivery of the pre-paid envelope I'm sure the post office won't complain.

Edit: Wasn't sure whether you were asking about sending it for free, or just paying the additional postage on the envelope, so I tried to answer both :p:
Reply 2
You can. Royal Mail won't object to getting extra money. It would be the same price if you use the pre-paid envelope or not so if in doubt, just send in a separate envelope.
Reply 3
I'm prepared to pay I wasn't expecting it for free. I meant would the insurance company accept recorded delivery? As they haven't stated they would accept recorded delivery on the letter they have sent me.

They've just written:

''Please enclose the documents listed above in the pre-paid envelope provided within 14 days''.
The Stig
I'm prepared to pay I wasn't expecting it for free. I meant would the insurance company accept recorded delivery? As they haven't stated they would accept recorded delivery on the letter they have sent me.

They've just written:

''Please enclose the documents listed above in the pre-paid envelope provided within 14 days''.

I'm sure they won't mind, the only difference it'll make to them is that someone will have to answer the door and sign for it :p:. They're not going to just discard it, and it doesn't cost them a thing to receive anyway so it won't be a problem. They probably wouldn't even mind if you sent it in your own envelope, just make sure there's no kind of barcode or number code on the envelope if you decide to use your own (companies sometimes do this to quickly identify and sort their mail).
Reply 5
secretmessages
I'm sure they won't mind, the only difference it'll make to them is that someone will have to answer the door and sign for it :p:. They're not going to just discard it, and it doesn't cost them a thing to receive anyway so it won't be a problem. They probably wouldn't even mind if you sent it in your own envelope, just make sure there's no kind of barcode or number code on the envelope if you decide to use your own (companies sometimes do this to quickly identify and sort their mail).

Thanks for the reply. Just looked at the envelope and there is barcode on it along with a licence number.

It has 'Business Reply Plus' written on the top left and and a '1 | |' on the top right.
The Stig
Thanks for the reply. Just looked at the envelope and there is barcode on it along with a licence number.

It has 'Business Reply Plus' written on the top left and and a '1 | |' on the top right.

It's hard to tell whether the barcode and number will be for the pre-paid envelope itself, or whether it's personal to you and your application or whatever it is. So in that case it's probably best not to use your own envelope unless you're sure it's not a personalised envelope for your application. The envelope is just first class, but I think the whole Business Reply Plus thing gives the letter precedence over other first class mail. I can understand why you want to send the documents using recorded delivery, but you shouldn't have any problems just sending the envelope back as it is :smile:. Hmm, if in doubt, take it to the post office and ask if you can send it by recorded delivery anyway (they/you might have to scribble out the '1 | |' thing or the barcode with a marker pen or something).
secretmessages

I expect an insurance company is going to get sufficient volumes of post they're not just going to be putting it through the postbox :wink:. And there's probably going to be more than just yours going recorded!
Reply 8
That's not actually pre-paid, it's business reply paid, which is slightly different. So you probably can't just pay the difference, as nothing has been paid yet.

And if it's a PO Box, you can't use recorded anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending