The Student Room Group

Are you still doing online lectures?

Any uni students that are STILL on online lectures?
If so what university are you from and how are you finding it?
Some people are loving learning online from the comfort of their home, whilst others it’s a struggle and they want to be hands on and in the lecture rooms.
How do you feel about it?

Emily <3
Reply 1
At southampton none of the lectures are online unless the lecturer cancelled or is temporarily out of town in which case its held live or pre recorded!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Some people are loving learning online from the comfort of their home, whilst others it’s a struggle and they want to be hands on and in the lecture rooms.

Emily <3

Hi there,

I am from the university of bath, and we have a mix of online and in-person lectures. The majority of lectures have returned to in person but even those are still recorded so if for any reason you can’t make it then you can watch back later.

Personally, I like the fact that there is an option to watch back. It means you don’t have to worry too much about if you miss a lecture if you’re ill or have an engagement etc but also means you can go over information for exam season !

There are also some lectures which are just online. It’s ideal if you’re not a morning person and can just hop on quickly but it does take away from the experience. You’re more likely to be distracted and miss information as you’re just in your own room (at least this is what I find). However I think the mix works for most students currently.

- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Original post by ziggy03
At southampton none of the lectures are online unless the lecturer cancelled or is temporarily out of town in which case its held live or pre recorded!

Hi @ziggy03
That sounds consistent! That’s like mine
Emily <3
Reply 4
Writing from the tutor perspective, it's interesting to read these replies. This is consistent with what I have observed, that there is an ongoing role for some online and pre-recorded lectures. Online 1-2-1 tutorials are also a great thing, as they can be done at mutually convenient times outside of the module timetable. I think where online delivery definitely doesn't work is for seminars, workshops and labs because engagement and feedback on activities is required and this is difficult, often impossible, to do online.

Emily <3

Hey hope you’re well. Our lectures have been exclusively online but that’s just a departmental thing. As far as I’m aware all the other departments (other than chemistry) have gone back to in-person lectures. The uni is Imperial. I’m ngl I kinda hate it but love it at the same time. It gives me more time to process while watching than in-person but my lazy procrastinating ass means I fall behind which has adverse effects on workshops lol. Anyways I prefer to have the online lectures available (since they have already recorded them 3 years ago and made updates to them since) but also have in-person scheduled. That keeps me to a strict accountable timetable for doing lectures.
A lot of ppl have been crying out for in-person lectures for a while now and the department began (this year) by giving us additional lectures where the lecturer just waffles on what we’ve seen in lectures or around the subject (non-examinable stuff). Next year the plan is to go back to in-person lectures. Ppl want this bc it’s the total uni experience to have it and as u k some ppl r paying 3x the fees UK students r.
Personally I suck at working from home :frown: and prefer doing work in the library. It unlocks another side to my potential. Anyways sorry for the life story lol
(edited 10 months ago)

Emily <3

Hey!
I am a master's student pursuing Design Management at University of Southampton. Personally for my course it's a hybrid teaching method with 70% offline lectures and 30% online. This is to offer students flexibility to fit their studies according to schedule, but at the same time provide maximum interaction with tutors and peers, during offline classes. Personally, I feel the online and offline debate is a very subjective thing and totally based on the course and location.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Muhammad Razak
Hey hope you’re well. Our lectures have been exclusively online but that’s just a departmental thing. As far as I’m aware all the other departments (other than chemistry) have gone back to in-person lectures. The uni is Imperial. I’m ngl I kinda hate it but love it at the same time. It gives me more time to process while watching than in-person but my lazy procrastinating ass means I fall behind which has adverse effects on workshops lol. Anyways I prefer to have the online lectures available (since they have already recorded them 3 years ago and made updates to them since) but also have in-person scheduled. That keeps me to a strict accountable timetable for doing lectures.
A lot of ppl have been crying out for in-person lectures for a while now and the department began (this year) by giving us additional lectures where the lecturer just waffles on what we’ve seen in lectures or around the subject (non-examinable stuff). Next year the plan is to go back to in-person lectures. Ppl want this bc it’s the total uni experience to have it and as u k some ppl r paying 3x the fees UK students r.
Personally I suck at working from home :frown: and prefer doing work in the library. It unlocks another side to my potential. Anyways sorry for the life story lol

Which department? How on earth can Chemsitry be taught online - sounds disgraceful to me.

Emily <3

Hey there!

I study law with criminology at Sheffield Hallam University.

All of my lectures this year have been back face-to-face which has been so much better as I feel like I engage so much more with the content and it helps me from falling behind. Occasionally we have had some online lectures if a tutor was unable to attend but this hasn't been too often so it hasn't been much of an inconvenience. All of my in-person lectures are recorded and put online anyway, so students are able to catch up if they have been absent or just to watch the lectures back if they need to, during exam season for example.

scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Original post by Muttley79
Which department? How on earth can Chemsitry be taught online - sounds disgraceful to me.

It’s acc not that bad. It’s more that the exams r of a different level to lectures - much harder which is bs from them. The exams last year were so easy and this year too hard but they don’t care on average a lot of ppl getting 1st will go down to 2:1. By having them online u can pause and replay at ur own comfort to understand a certain topic. That’s something in-person lectures doesn’t allow for. In-person lectures could mean u sit there for 30 mins not understanding bc u missed something or u didn’t comprehend something so u miss out and have to spend 30 mins more after ig. But I like the strict schedule of in-person lectures bc it keeps me accountable (I can be very lazy lol)
Reply 10
Original post by Muhammad Razak
It’s acc not that bad. It’s more that the exams r of a different level to lectures - much harder which is bs from them. The exams last year were so easy and this year too hard but they don’t care on average a lot of ppl getting 1st will go down to 2:1. By having them online u can pause and replay at ur own comfort to understand a certain topic. That’s something in-person lectures doesn’t allow for. In-person lectures could mean u sit there for 30 mins not understanding bc u missed something or u didn’t comprehend something so u miss out and have to spend 30 mins more after ig. But I like the strict schedule of in-person lectures bc it keeps me accountable (I can be very lazy lol)

Imperial is a toxic university - they should be forced to reduce their fees. Shocking ...

Emily <3

I'm a second year biochemist at Lancaster, and my lectures have been mainly in person, but some online.

The online lectures are for the more technical modules, which are focussed around several weekly labs working towards a lab report; the lectures are supporting knowledge based around introducing lab techniques, explaining the science behind them, and putting them in context. I think the department chose to put them online to give students more control over their own time and to reduce awkward timetabling (like when you have one 9am and one 5pm lecture). I know that online lectures are controversial, and some of the people I know really dislike them (understandably), but personally I've found them quite useful as I'd much prefer to just do 2-3 lectures in the gaps I have between lectures on Monday/Tuesday than have more scheduled stuff at a less convenient time.

I also really enjoy and appreciate the many modules I have in person, especially as they cover the more "bulk" knowledge in biology and chemistry. I don't think I'd like learning about biochemical pathways or NMR sat in my bedroom as it requires a lot of thinking and I'd probably just pause the lecture and procrastinate on it! All the in person lectures are recorded, so I can always go back to listen again after.

From my perspective I think lectures should be mainly in person, however, in certain situations I appreciate the inclusion of some online content.
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
All this year my timetable has been packed full of 'seminars' which are sometimes 2 - 3 hours. The lectures have been online but the seminar is pretty identical except with more explanation, discussions, etc.
Idk whether it's a good thing or not but at least when it's recorded I can adjust the speed of the video.
Original post by Muttley79
Imperial is a toxic university - they should be forced to reduce their fees. Shocking ...

Lmao I’m ngl ur kinda right in terms of exams and stuff coz it is very toxic in that sense. Yh definitely lol feed should be reduced lol. They were like, “oh u want more in-person lectures ey? Ok we’ll give u additional lectures based off what you’ve already seen and other stuff that’s not so important for ur grade.” Yh side info can be interesting but not for every module. Some ppl like other stuff and could read around that in their own time. Even the smartest ppl on the course didn’t go to these sessions lol bc they r useless

Emily <3

I'm at The University of Sheffield
In my master's course they gave us the option of having in-person or online tutorials. We chose to have all in person except for the 9am on Monday so we could stay in bed!
All of the lectures are recorded at Sheffield and many departments also run live-streams so students can choose whether they want to attend online or in-person. They have found some amazing question tools that work well from home and online so students can participate in the activities from their beds if they want to!
The lecturers have made an effort to improve the inclusivity of the learning environment, some students cannot attend in person due to jobs, caring responsibilities or disabilities so I think its great to give students the choice!

Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 15
I go to Yale. All instruction has to be in-person, though lectures may be recorded and available to view after at the discretion of the instructor. That being said, after a while you stop having lectures and only having seminars, and those really don't work as recordings lol.
Original post by hoixw
I go to Yale. All instruction has to be in-person, though lectures may be recorded and available to view after at the discretion of the instructor. That being said, after a while you stop having lectures and only having seminars, and those really don't work as recordings lol.

You think they will re think the schedule next year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending