The Student Room Group

Salters A2 Chemistry - Chemistry Of Materials - 23/06/05

Thought id start a thread, although dont think many people do salters...

Anyone doing this paper?

Took it in january, got 78%, i thought i got higher - i revised quite hard!

Anyone got any ideas on what might come up? Anything unusual/unexpected.
Not much came up on DNA in January, and a question on rust came up which (doesnt often appear for a lot of marks anyway)

Any ideas on the 4/5/6 mark questions?
:tsr:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeh i took it too and got 74 so what's that 82%.
I'm gonna burn on unit 5 though so i figured for £12 it was worth retaking to see if i could boost that a bit!!
I'm taking it! First time though. I hope not too much on dna/protein and stuff comes up because I don't really get that. I'm a lot more worried about the other paper- the synoptic-y one - as I can't remember all those reactions/conditions etc. xx
Reply 3
I'm not retaking it but just to say in January there was a big question on the recrystallisation method.
Reply 4
are they unlikey to repeat what came up in Jan then? *crosses fingers* Twas a bad paper for me!
Reply 5
kohlstream
are they unlikey to repeat what came up in Jan then? *crosses fingers* Twas a bad paper for me!

I don't think they would but it could happen :frown: I was so unprepared for the IR spec question in January as I forgot about the small unit change.
Reply 6
Ramaya
I don't think they would but it could happen :frown: I was so unprepared for the IR spec question in January as I forgot about the small unit change.

Yeh I messed that one up too, mainly because I didn't read the question..

I sat last summer's unit 5. That was the definition of hard
Reply 7
kohlstream
Yeh I messed that one up too, mainly because I didn't read the question..

I sat last summer's unit 5. That was the definition of hard

I'm really worried about that paper! I havn't started revision for it but luckily I only need about 35% for a B (which is really what I need) but for an A its more like 82% which I think may be slightly impossible for me. :frown: Mean paper. How did you do in it?
Reply 8
We didn't even get taught all the DNA stuff
They said you're biologists... teach yourselves
Reply 9
Ramaya
I'm really worried about that paper! I havn't started revision for it but luckily I only need about 35% for a B (which is really what I need) but for an A its more like 82% which I think may be slightly impossible for me. :frown: Mean paper. How did you do in it?

54 out of 120.. I didn't revise :redface: ( I ran out of time)

I haven;t started revising for this one yet.

I either need 64% in chem by design and unit 5, or I need 76/120 for an A.

(I got 98% in my coursework..I'm still glowing!)
Reply 10
kohlstream
(I got 98% in my coursework..I'm still glowing!)

Wow, thats excellent :biggrin:! Certainly lifts the pressure off a bit!
Ahh I really hate most topics on the Chem by design paper - aspects of agriculture = farming :frown:
Reply 11
but arent the grade boundries for Chem By Design lower? I think someone was telling me about 72%/74% for an A
Thats why i want to do well in Chemistry of materials - so that i can allow for a not so good' chem by design paper...
Reply 12
cherc2005
but arent the grade boundries for Chem By Design lower? I think someone was telling me about 72%/74% for an A
Thats why i want to do well in Chemistry of materials - so that i can allow for a not so good' chem by design paper...

Grade boundaries don't matter.. UMS does
Bekaboo
We didn't even get taught all the DNA stuff
They said you're biologists... teach yourselves

They tried that with our class....problem is I'm one of the few that isn't a biologist!!!!!! x
Reply 14
kohlstream
Grade boundaries don't matter.. UMS does

sorry thats what i meant - UMS
Reply 15
does anyone by chance hav a copy of this yrs jan paper?
Reply 16
does anyone know where i can get past papers for this and for Chemistry by Design?
Reply 17
How is everyone revising Chemistry?
Reply 18
undercover-ange
They tried that with our class....problem is I'm one of the few that isn't a biologist!!!!!! x

:frown: There's only one non-biologist in our lot (we all take Chemistry out of necessity not enjoying it) - I felt so sorry for him!!
Reply 19
AmS
does anyone by chance hav a copy of this yrs jan paper?

If you talk to... *struggles to think of a username* possibly geekypoo then he's got most of the papers - i've written on all of mine sorry!!
But i have put up a thread with a couple of markschemes

Latest