The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, saw the first series and the second series is quite good, judging from the first ep. I know it was wierd watching such cultural difference, although I believe it all depends on the parents tbh.
Reply 2
It's a very good series.
I'm all for treating a child as an individual / not heavy discipline etc - it's how I see that our society treats our young people. When I watched the first series every bone in my body was against the way they were being treated with the strict families, and yet I envied them. They provided much more for their children in terms of quality than we do in our society, and I think it is a good possible way forward to help sort out our own social issues.
As an avid fan of the 1st series I love the 2nd series but...

Without trying to be homophobic, all the boys on the 2nd series seem to be extremely camp or gay :confused:
Reply 4
DanielNewton

Without trying to be homophobic, all the boys on the 2nd series seem to be extremely camp or gay :confused:

I agree i think they done it on purpose to get some kind of reaction from the strict parents good tv and what not.
DanielNewton

I think they do that deliberately so that the parents have a bad initial impression of the boys.

Love the show, still trying to understand how British youngsters get away with their behaviour and show no respect whatsoever.

EDIT: Beaten by Hoda :smile:
Reply 6
clair1987
It's a very good series.
I'm all for treating a child as an individual / not heavy discipline etc - it's how I see that our society treats our young people. When I watched the first series every bone in my body was against the way they were being treated with the strict families, and yet I envied them. They provided much more for their children in terms of quality than we do in our society, and I think it is a good possible way forward to help sort out our own social issues.

Are you really? If anything I admire their way of instilling so much discipline. what kids would you rather have? i'd love to follow their book - my one big worry is having kids that turn out to be ***** but as someone else said it depends on the parents, a lot/for the most part.
aww its back and here i am at uni with channel 1-5 .. i should've gone home like Ialways do. What countries have they done this year... the Ghana episode from season 1 was my fav!
jessyfantastic90
aww its back and here i am at uni with channel 1-5 .. i should've gone home like Ialways do. What countries have they done this year... the Ghana episode from season 1 was my fav!

Iplayer :wink:
Reply 9
yup - iPlayer is what I watched it on:wink:
Yeah don't mess with ghanaian parents.
Reply 11
Nah ****:smile:
jessyfantastic90

The episode yesterday was set in Atlanta me thinks.

Was quite heart wrenching hearing about the stories of the parents, the mother parents both were deceased by age 5 and the father had to basically take care of his gravely ill father throughout his childhood which gave him motivation to be their for his kids since his father wasn't able to due to his illness.
Reply 13
I'm sure the kids are allowed many 'independent thoughts'. If being 'anti liberalism' means respect then I'm all for it as opposed to what we witnessed with those british drunken chavs frankly.
jessyfantastic90

Same! I hope they use more african parents,they're so much jokes. I love the show but can't beleive parents will let their children run amock like that :s-smilie:, if you did that in my family you're getting sent to Africa :rofl:
That emo fag is so annoying.
the kids in the atlanta episode were clearly playing up.

All attention-seeker types play up for cameras.

Still, think its a good programmre
The episode for me leaves me to question our parenting techniques, I mean in the episode I saw that religion kept the family on track and the morals that the religion taught helped to create a good family life. Which makes me question whether atheism is a good thing :s-smilie: Religion can be a good thing sometimes even if some believe it is based on 'lies' but it can create a good foundation for a person's life as long as they respect other people's beliefs because it provides people with faith, I've seen that those who don't have a religion sometimes can turn pessimistic far easily as there is no "It was God's will" to soften the blow of a bad situation.
flowermaster91
Same! I hope they use more african parents,they're so much jokes. I love the show but can't beleive parents will let their children run amock like that :s-smilie:, if you did that in my family you're getting sent to Africa :rofl:

yes that was always a threat. My mum said if I misbehaved I would get sent to ghana to my grandma to work on the farm..
ghanglish
Yeah don't mess with ghanaian parents.

u know! the insukts sometimes can be jokes! my dad has and angry glare..which would scare the average person..it did when i was younger (so i mostly was a good child) but now it makes me giggle.

Latest