The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My Grandad is, he invited my Dad but he turned it down. They wear these weird robes and I never see my Grandad because he's always travelling with the Freemasons, having meetings in different countries or whatever he does.
Reply 21
My best friend say's he is and that he is part of the illuminati etc..
My mum say's she thinks my dad is a Freemason.
I know i'm defo not one. :smile:
Reply 22
taurus26
Gotcha

Although I'm trying that now and it feels the same as I would usually handshake someone. Although I am trying to hand shake myself... and that never works

This sort of thing is what my impression of masonic handshake is.

http://www.thebereanchronicles.com/nwo/nwo_hand_signs/image_hand_sign_ron_paul_01.jpg
I've never really understood freemasonry, obviously partially due to not really having looked into it a great deal.
Reply 24
DeeDub
This sort of thing is what my impression of masonic handshake is.

http://www.thebereanchronicles.com/nwo/nwo_hand_signs/image_hand_sign_ron_paul_01.jpg

THAT?! I've shaken hands with so many people who do that!! They stop your hand in a really strange way! I just thought it was poncy people who did that...

Well you learn something every day
Reply 25
Im a freemason, why do you ask?
Reply 26
milesofsea
Shady people, they iz. And yup trying to join would be like pulling teeth (no even harder)

Actually it's not as hard to become a member as you would think while the majority of members are still gained through Family Invitation , in recent years the Mason's have opened up hugely and now you can simply apply, getting accepted is slightly harder but not to difficult.

But as long as you are of Good Character, God Fearing, generous , well rounded (and of course able to pay for the Meals XD) then you stand a fair chance.

They even have a large University scheme going at the moment to try and encourage Students to enlist in the ranks.

www.ugle.org.uk for more info!

Edit: For more info
Reply 27
taurus26
THAT?! I've shaken hands with so many people who do that!! They stop your hand in a really strange way! I just thought it was poncy people who did that...

Well you learn something every day

In all honesty, I thought those old men who shake your hand really weakly as if they are the Queen were just queer or something, but it would make sense that they are in the freemasons.
I am a member. My Father, Grandfather and Uncles are all members. It's just a Social Club for men. Talk about work and have a drink with friends without earache off the girlfriends or wives.
Reply 29
Syrokal
Im a freemason, why do you ask?

I sincerely doubt that.
A Mason would never publically declare membership.

OP, for what its worth, each Mason lodge does do an awful lot of charity work. It's not just about putting business each others way.
This is an interesting thread! Would love to learn more!
Reply 31
My friends dad was a taxi driver and he joined. Within 3 months he had a brand new taxi, and an absolutely massive house. I'm pretty sure another officer at cadets was a member, obviously he wouldn't talk about it.
Reply 32
JC.
I sincerely doubt that.
A Mason would never publically declare membership.

OP, for what its worth, each Mason lodge does do an awful lot of charity work. It's not just about putting business each others way.

Actually Mason's are not prohibited at all from declaring membership, if asked they can openly answer. Just another horrible misconception

We are forbidden from declaring open membership with the intent to gain from it personally, or to sway peoples opinions in anything outside of the Lodge also it's massively frowned upon to just blurt out your association.

It will take little more than a passing search on the Grand Lodge website or hell even Wikilolia to verify this.

But i dont blame you for thinking that really.
Reply 33
Anamaria90
We have one of these at home which my Mum inhertited from her Grandfather:

I really want to know what the symbols mean.

Oh wow, my step-nan (whos part of some freemason women's thing) has one of them, and she used to always let me play with it when I was a kid. I didn't know it had anything to do with the freemasonry though, i just thought it was jewellery! :p:
I read that you can only be a free mason if you are a man over 21! Can't women join or something - it seems complicated yet interesting?
Reply 35
Anonymous.
I read that you can only be a free mason if you are a man over 21! Can't women join or something - it seems complicated yet interesting?

Women can join female freemasons, although it really counts for nothing. You have to have some free cash too.
Reply 36
Anonymous.

Its Eighteen in England, however in America and most European countries it's 21

Women have there own version of the Masons, (two in fact) formed near the beginning of the 20th century, since Freemasonry in the traditional sense is a Fraternal society while they dont workin partnership with the main lodges and have much the same ideology goals and rules.
2 Minute Warning
how can i join?

You have to be nominated by another Mason
My Grandad is one, I just recently went to the Ladies Night :smile:
no but my grandad and a few of his friends are, however they refuse to tell us anything about it despite the fact they invited my dad to join
no but my grandad and a few of his friends are, however they refuse to tell us anything about it despite the fact they invited my dad to join

Latest

Trending

Trending