The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I've got an interview on the 18th and from what you guys are saying, it seems that revising pure maths concepts and D1 (algorithms to sort/order etc) is the way to go, and they tend to throw in a few Personal Statement questions.

Anything else you reckon I should look at?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Ditto; I also have an interview on the 18th. Which core modules could anyone suggest going over?

Am kind of crapping myself at the moment as Imperial is first choice :smile:
Reply 22
j0anna_
Ditto; I also have an interview on the 18th. Which core modules could anyone suggest going over?

All of them, if you're interested in what I was asked (I'll explain in detail the questions I was asked, and the ones others were asked) then add me on MSN. :smile:

Dan
Reply 23
j0anna_

They shouldn't ask you anything past C2/C3 or so really.. Just pay close attention during any question asked.

My interview question last year for example was a definite integration question.. It was easy to integrate but had two asymptotes inbetween the limits given to me.

Other than that you're likely to get a logic question of some form I'd guess.. I had 2 logic questions and an integration question last year.

Good luck! Computing needs girls, haha.
Danltn
All of them, if you're interested in what I was asked (I'll explain in detail the questions I was asked, and the ones others were asked) then add me on MSN. :smile:

Dan

Oh wow, now this is truly a terrible idea.

Don't go in knowing the answers to the questions. That can only lead to bad things.

The questions are to get you to work through something with the lecturer. If you go in smugly knowing how to do everything they ask then you'll only embarrass yourself as they work down to a question you don't know the answer to. Go in prepared. But not knowing the questions.

Of course, that's just my opinion. But if you want to look like that sort of person go ahead.
Reply 25
I have to agree with James Green, I think the point is to be able to work through it without knowing what to do before hand. They want to see how you think on the spot, some maths revision can't hurt although I didn't really do any and my interview questions were logic ones.

Good luck man:smile: I'm sure you'll be fine. To whoever asked me which interviewer I had I'm sorry I've forgotten the name, I want to say Peter but I don't think that was it. Pretty sure it began with a P, sorry that's no use :p:

Been a week and I haven't heard anything yet, they said if I get an offer I should hear in 2-3 weeks, just gotta hope.
Reply 26
mituozo
My interview question last year for example was a definite integration question.. It was easy to integrate but had two asymptotes inbetween the limits given to me.

Eep :s-smilie: Would the integral be nonexistent in that case or is there some nifty way of dealing with asymptotes in definite integrals?
Reply 27
James305
Good luck man:smile: I'm sure you'll be fine. To whoever asked me which interviewer I had I'm sorry I've forgotten the name, I want to say Peter but I don't think that was it. Pretty sure it began with a P, sorry that's no use :p:

Dr P Edwards?
Reply 28
Emc2
Dr P Edwards?

Could you tell me the male:female ratio in your compsci lectures? :smile:
Reply 29
j0anna_
Could you tell me the male:female ratio in your compsci lectures? :smile:

Roughly 10:1 I guess.
Emc2

100:1

Spoiler

How was the test?
Reply 31
Emc2

Really? I thought more girls were getting into it. This is the only reason i was reluctant to apply for computing. Oh well.
Reply 32
j0anna_
Really? I thought more girls were getting into it. This is the only reason i was reluctant to apply for computing. Oh well.

It's really not that bad. I said 10:1 because I reckon there must be about 13 girls out of 130 CS students (or 16 out of 160 if you include JMC). But it really doesn't matter, and you'll make loads of male friends because they'll be dying to talk to a girl :wink:

YMMV though, for instance my girlfriend is in a tutorial group with 4 girls and 3 boys so you never know :biggrin:
Reply 33
j0anna_

If you don't apply, doesn't that make the ratio worse? :p:
Reply 34
98QEHS
If you don't apply, doesn't that make the ratio worse? :p:

Aha indeed. Well lets just hope i get an offer!
Reply 35
Anybody here receive a letter for an interview on the 18th? I sent the reply slip back but later in the day they phoned me up asking whether I could confirm I'd be attending - but I was away at the time so haven't done so. They should have received the reply slip the day after, but they haven't sent me any confirmation that they'd received my letter. Did you get a confirmation back from Imperial?

Also how is everyone preparing for this interview? I haven't done anything yet but I'm going to go over my PS. The academic questions worry me slightly but there isn't much I can do about them. I'm just hoping they don't get me to write pseudo code or anything programming related since I have like zero knowledge of programming.
Reply 36
I wouldn't worry too much about preparation if your interview is anything like mine was a few weeks ago.

Like you I have basically zero knowledge of programming and thankfully I was asked nothing programming related. I got asked about my PS and then two logic problems which are obviously the kind of thing you can't really prepare for. I doubt they'll ask you anything programming related, they assume applicants have no prior knowledge of programming for the course anyway.

I never got a confirmation back that they knew I was coming but I replied pretty late due to the postal strikes and confirmed by phone when they phoned me before I returned the reply slip anyway. They probably assume your coming so don't worry.

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll be fine :wink: I had mine on the 4th and they said they'd let me know either way about an offer in 2-3 weeks so I should be hearing back in the next week or so, still hoping :p: Has anyone else who had an interview on the 4th heard back yet?
Reply 37
To anyone worrying about not getting an interview date don't. There is another interview day on the 2nd of December and they are sending out the letters now. :smile:
nigggle
To anyone worrying about not getting an interview date don't. There is another interview day on the 2nd of December and they are sending out the letters now. :smile:

This is sound advice - also remember that Imperial are not limited to the dates they publish on their website. I was interviewed on the 26th March (granted, I applied in 3 days before the deadline :p:), so don't give up hope if you aren't called for an interview in one of the 'slots'.
Reply 39
Thank you both nigggle and jayshah31 for the piece of advice! Do you guys know if they're sending letters to international applicants as well?

Latest

Trending

Trending