The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So why havent Oxford or Cambridge illegally accessed your UCAS apply information and emailed you?
Reply 21
RevisingHard
Ok so i didn't get an offer per say...in fact i was e-mailed by them to say they'd checked out my yougo and UCAS accounts and wanted me to apply to thier universitites...i thought that it was a mass email that goes out to everyone, besides - my parents won't even let me go to Oxford, America? forget it...anyway, i deleted the email and then i asked all my friends and no one got an invitation! my friends are the nerdiest nerds ever lol trust me, i thought they would've gotten an invitation... Now i am sooo gutted...i could have pursued something really great!
so i am posting this on here 'cos i just had to talk about it...did this happen to anyone else?!

Of all the American universities, Yale and Harvard... 2 of the best universities, when none of the other 3000 are interested in you. :eek3:

Perhaps the evil genius Harvard and Yale professors have found a way to hack into the UCAS system as a means of scouting for british high school students! :eek3: :eek3:
RevisingHard
lmao - thanks for the support guys...NOT...

You're more than welcome. Sorry I can't offer any advice but NASA has just invited me to join their astronaut training programme...
We can't give you support aside from what everyone is saying though.. the answer is really obvious!!
Reply 24
lol - ok thanks, wierdly i feel better 'cos i am now convinced it was spam and don't have to worry on missing such an opportunity...ahh - the wonders of tsr
Lol - I think the fees at those places alone would make me throw up on receipt of such an email :P
Well unfortunately for you they are also going to track down your TSR account using the email address you used for YouGo, see what a fail thread you've made, and change their minds.
marcusmerehay
Why would they know to 'check' your UCAS account? I'm pretty sure universities aren't allowed to look at them until they are sent off, and only to the universities that you have applied for.

If you think how many students there are worldwide, it would be non-sensical for Harvard and Yale to go looking for people when they know they are going to fill out all their courses anyway.

Provided the OP is a genius, they are right to ask him to apply because he wouldn't have otherwise.

I think it's a scam email.
Reply 28
i'll get my coat then...
Reply 29
Give us a pic and I'll tell you if it's legit or not in a matter of seconds.
Reply 30
Roberto_Ferrari
Provided the OP is a genius, they are right to ask him to apply because he wouldn't have otherwise.

I think it's a scam email.

Both universities in one email? I really cant see that happening.

OP, you havent even done your AS levels, so why would they ask you to apply?
Reply 31
You're lying.
Reply 32
i wrote my profile account ages ago..i have done my AS'S and am in A2...I told you - its deleted! I don't really care if you think im lying...forget i said anything
Reply 33
What were your results?
Reply 34
It's highly unlikely that the email is authentic. Harvard/Yale sends out a few recruitment emails known as "likely letters" to athletes who have a very high chance of being accepted. They will not look at anyone's UCAS account, let alone care about it.

They only send out generic emails to the general public of Y13s who have taken PSATs to consider applying - but they just do that so that more people apply. It doesn't indicate anything about your academic achievements (even if they are fantastic).
http://yougo.co.uk/content/Privacypolicy.aspx

Unless we have your permission yougofurther will not send you marketing information from a third party for marketing purposes.

No personally-identifiable information will ever be disclosed to a third party.

Unless you gave them permission (in which case, it is just spam emailing from them hoping to get more interest from foreign/wealthy students), then it is not real.
CocoPop
It's highly unlikely that the email is authentic. Harvard/Yale sends out a few recruitment emails known as "likely letters" to athletes who have a very high chance of being accepted. They will not look at anyone's UCAS account, let alone care about it.

They only send out generic emails to the general public of Y13s who have taken PSATs to consider applying - but they just do that so that more people apply. It doesn't indicate anything about your academic achievements (even if they are fantastic).

This.
It's probably a good thing your emails are automatically deleted after a week because it sounds like you would have fallen for this if you still had the email.
Reply 38
calvinuk
LOL, judging by your good but not great grades in your profile, there are others they would have looked at before you, i'm sure.

Exactly this. My friend got 13A*'s at GCSE and is predicted 3A*'s and 2A's at A-level. He didnt get the email?
I've spoken to Yale's admissions tutor for UK applications, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't go around looking at UCAS profiles.

And if you really want to check whether it's correct, I have her her name here.

Latest

Trending

Trending