The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Harvard?

Here is some acacdemic background info on me: my A-Level predictions are A*A*A in philosophy , politics and English literature. My gcse grades are majority 7-9 with 3 grades 5-6 (in chem, phys and history). I have a LOT of extra curricular activities that I’ve done in the past 2 years. (Which I know us unis value).

My long term goal is to become a solicitor and originally I was just going to apply for law in the uk in Russel group unis like Oxford. But something has struck me and I think I would really enjoy Harvard. My academic record isn’t PERFECT but if you don’t apply then you have zero chance of getting in right. But basically for the past yesr I’ve been mentally preparing for an Oxford application. Should I just stick with it.

My questions really are : is it worth devoting my time and energy to actually apply. At first I was very out off because of how expensive it was but looking at their website the financial aid is really generous. I’m also kind of put off by just how different the liberal arts education is but in my head I would just do the 4 years at Harvard then come back to the uk and do a gdl conversion for a year (or however long it is)
Anyways i just need an outsiders perspective . This goal might be a bit far fetched.
OP, I hate to be a douche, but I feel as if you are quite naive. Law is ridiculously competitive at Oxford, and nearly all offer holders have GCSEs far higher than yours (that is, nearly all 8/9/A*). If you don't believe me, check the admissions statistics - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ba_in_jurisprudence_law_admissio#incoming-1971866. With the rampant grade inflation in your year, those numbers will have gone up significantly, not down.

This also applies to Harvard. I do not go to Harvard, but I go to a peer, and I know that the average GCSEs among the kinds of people accepted are ridiculously high, along with very good ECs. When you are rejecting basically everyone, you have a lot of leeway with applicants. I am not saying to not apply - as you rightly say - the only way to guarantee rejection is by not applying, but I would not be too optimistic. That all being said, strong ECs can make up for academics, and especially strong stuff in sports (or strong academic ECs to make up for poorer GCSEs / A-levels). So ymmv.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
OP, I hate to be a douche, but I feel as if you are quite naive. Law is ridiculously competitive at Oxford, and nearly all offer holders have GCSEs far higher than yours (that is, nearly all 8/9/A*). If you don't believe me, check the admissions statistics - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ba_in_jurisprudence_law_admissio#incoming-1971866. With the rampant grade inflation in your year, those numbers will have gone up significantly, not down.

This also applies to Harvard. I do not go to Harvard, but I go to a peer, and I know that the average GCSEs among the kinds of people accepted are ridiculously high, along with very good ECs. When you are rejecting basically everyone, you have a lot of leeway with applicants. I am not saying to not apply - as you rightly say - the only way to guarantee rejection is by not applying, but I would not be too optimistic. That all being said, strong ECs can make up for academics, and especially strong stuff in sports (or strong academic ECs to make up for poorer GCSEs / A-levels). So ymmv.

I mean from the stats I looked at from 2021 I see a fair mixture of gcse grades. From everything I’ve read Oxford claim to take a holistic approach(I’m applying for Law So they take into account LNAT, PS, etc). Not only this but they take a big look at contextual data aswell which was said to me when I attended a summer school there. I mean I’ll defo apply, to me it’s definitely worth a shot
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Here is some acacdemic background info on me: my A-Level predictions are A*A*A in philosophy , politics and English literature. My gcse grades are majority 7-9 with 3 grades 5-6 (in chem, phys and history). I have a LOT of extra curricular activities that I’ve done in the past 2 years. (Which I know us unis value).

My long term goal is to become a solicitor and originally I was just going to apply for law in the uk in Russel group unis like Oxford. But something has struck me and I think I would really enjoy Harvard. My academic record isn’t PERFECT but if you don’t apply then you have zero chance of getting in right. But basically for the past yesr I’ve been mentally preparing for an Oxford application. Should I just stick with it.

My questions really are : is it worth devoting my time and energy to actually apply. At first I was very out off because of how expensive it was but looking at their website the financial aid is really generous. I’m also kind of put off by just how different the liberal arts education is but in my head I would just do the 4 years at Harvard then come back to the uk and do a gdl conversion for a year (or however long it is)
Anyways i just need an outsiders perspective . This goal might be a bit far fetched.

I mean u can send in a harvard application whilst still focussing on oxford. For example im applying to harvard mit stanford yale and princeton, but im still gonna focus on a Cambridge application. If u tell urself that ur not gonna let an american application hinder an oxford one, then feel free
Since US college applications don't count against the number of courses you can apply to through UCAS, you can certainly do both.

Note that you have to pay for each individual college in the US you apply to normally, unless eligible for an application fee waiver.

I'd probably consider Harvard a longshot in this case but as long as you don't pin all your hopes and dreams to it, and you can afford the application fee, no reason not to roll the dice.
Reply 5
Did you get in, in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending