The Student Room Group

What should happen to Saddam Insane?

Should he be put in prison for life or killed. If he is killed will it make him a martyr and will it give the small group of fanatisists an excuse to attack more. Im not sure if im right, but is saddam a prisoner of war?, and because the americans showed him on tv being captured and in that state does that mean they have to hand him over to the iranians?, who will probably hang him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
we had this topic the other day....there was a poll, thankfully majorty of about 85% said no to the death penalty
nero076
we had this topic the other day....there was a poll, thankfully majorty of about 85% said no to the death penalty

but as i understand it, under the geneva convention saddam has to be handed over to the iranians, so he will be killed
VampireWithSoul
but as i understand it, under the geneva convention saddam has to be handed over to the iranians, so he will be killed

iranians? don't you mean iraqis
thefish_uk
iranians? don't you mean iraqis

yes, my bad
Reply 5
DA AMERICANS WERE DA PEOPLE WHO SUPPLIED SADDAM WITH THE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTCRUCTION- sorry about da caps! :tongue:
Reply 6
he shud be made to live in the white house!
Reply 7
HANG HIM!!!! after wot hes done let him die slowly in pain!! sounds good
if he's killed, he dies a myrtyr (is that how you spell it?)
also, wasn't he crticised for parading prisoners of war? so they film him having a medical examination and out it all over TV all over the world.
Reply 9
Just give the poor bugger my job. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
Reply 10
Everyone is obsessed about giving Sadam a fair trial (which I agree is v. important).. but what about the people who have been arrested under the terrorist act? They deserve a fair trial too.. but nooo America wants to forget about them.. it just makes me angry at how it how the US portrays itself as a pillar of justice to the media when they blatantly abuse human rights. :frown:

Soz- that was a bit off topic.
Reply 11
i think the new question is what should happen to all these saddam threads?
Reply 12
Elle
Everyone is obsessed about giving Sadam a fair trial (which I agree is v. important).. but what about the people who have been arrested under the terrorist act? They deserve a fair trial too.. but nooo America wants to forget about them.. it just makes me angry at how it how the US portrays itself as a pillar of justice to the media when they blatantly abuse human rights. :frown:

Off topic it may have been, yet perfectly relevant. The US is a joke.
Elle

i dont think it's that off topic. the US are trying to get a major say in what happens to Saddam like they do with a lot of things. It's not right, they should be equal to all other countries and should defintely be pulled up on their constant abuse of human rights.

ok so maybe this is off topic :smile:
Reply 14
deary_ma_leary
i dont think it's that off topic. the US are trying to get a major say in what happens to Saddam like they do with a lot of things. It's not right, they should be equal to all other countries and should defintely be pulled up on their constant abuse of human rights.

ok so maybe this is off topic :smile:

Lol :tongue:

What really suprises me though is how some people <cough vienna and other tories cough> seriously worship the country! I don't understand it.
Reply 15
Elle
Lol :tongue:

What really suprises me though is how some people <cough vienna and other tories cough> seriously worship the country! I don't understand it.

vienna deals with facts, as do the people who run the US. Sadly there is nothing to be done. The US can't be stopped, because they always find a loophole in which to exert their power. Take the camp in Guantanamo Bay - Cuba for example. If anyone really wanted to, the people being held there can't be extradited under both, international law and american law. Also American military law while I think of it. The land isn't owned by America, it is leased. Leased by the military, thus ruling out any claims to the supreme court of America, as they have no jurisdiction over the military. It goes on and on. Lots of little loopholes, dealing in facts, and nothing more.
Reply 16
deary_ma_leary
if he's killed, he dies a myrtyr (is that how you spell it?)
also, wasn't he crticised for parading prisoners of war? so they film him having a medical examination and out it all over TV all over the world.

martyr - the americans criticsed everyone including he Somalians for parading PoW on TV becasue they claim it is against their rights. Then the Amercians do the same to Saddam Hussein and deny even basic rights (like sight) to the inmates at Guantanamo Bay. Wouldn't it be better to let these terrorists see how 'wonderful' America is, rather than reinforcing their ideas about its brutality and hypocrisy.
Reply 17
JSM
martyr - the americans criticsed everyone including he Somalians for parading PoW on TV becasue they claim it is against their rights. Then the Amercians do the same to Saddam Hussein and deny even basic rights (like sight) to the inmates at Guantanamo Bay. Wouldn't it be better to let these terrorists see how 'wonderful' America is, rather than reinforcing their ideas about its brutality and hypocrisy.

Well... ya see there is a slight problem with that theory. It just isn't the American way. Sure it may sound smart and all, but tradition is tradition, and the yankees just won't go in for it.
Reply 18
the IRAQI people should decide what happens to him.......after all i thought the Americans wanted to create democracy for them?
Reply 19
I dont agree with the fact the Iraqi people should decide on Saddams fate. If anything the United Nations or a neutral country in which he should be trialed should.
Also, as rational human beings we need to critically consider the value a death penalty would have on this man. He is a murderer and a sadistic human being where he has convinced himself he would be praised in heaven because he is doing the right thing. If we gave him the death penalty we would be giving him everything he wants. Lets not forget he once said he would rather die than be caught by americian troops (its just he didnt get the chance to put the pistol to his head- noone knows why- was he asleep, gassed....) so this is a man who is not scared of dieing.

If anything I do believe he should be imprisoned for life in devastating conditions or even psychologically assessed so he can feel remorse for the crimes he has commited.

Latest

Trending

Trending