The Student Room Group

Jobs.

Hey i need some advice please i’m in year 12 and it’s about to be summer soon i need some help on a career choice. All my life i’ve wanted to be a lawyer, but now looking at how long it’ll take and getting a masters etc i’m put off especially now how little the chances of getting a job in that sector or work experience are. I think i would like to study forensic psychology im not the best at maths i got a 4 in GCSE so i’m wondering would i be able to study this subject at university and become s forensic psychologist or would i struggle? I just feel very lost with career choice right now
Original post by ashleighade
Hey i need some advice please i’m in year 12 and it’s about to be summer soon i need some help on a career choice. All my life i’ve wanted to be a lawyer, but now looking at how long it’ll take and getting a masters etc i’m put off especially now how little the chances of getting a job in that sector or work experience are. I think i would like to study forensic psychology im not the best at maths i got a 4 in GCSE so i’m wondering would i be able to study this subject at university and become s forensic psychologist or would i struggle? I just feel very lost with career choice right now

If you think law is competitive, I don't think you like your chances of getting into forensic psychology or how long it takes...

Just to clear things up: law would require a degree in any subject if you want to be a solicitor, or an LLB degree (3 years)/a degree in any subject + GDPL (4 years) if you want to be a barrister. In terms of training, it's 2 years after passing SQE for solicitors (see: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/solicitor), and 1 year after passing your bar exam for barristers (https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/barrister).
In total:

3 years + 2 year training + SQE (about 1 year) (min) for solicitors (6 years)

3 years + 1 year training + 1 year bar (min) for barristers (5 years)

To become a forensic psychologist, you would need BPS accredited degrees at bachelor's and postgrad levels (see:https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/forensic-psychologist)
In total:

3 years bachelor's + 1 year's master's + 2 years training = 6 years OR

3 years bachelor's + 3 year PhD = 6 years

Psychology doesn't involve that much maths. You might come across AS Level statistics, but that's about it. So long you're comfortable with hypothesis testing and regressions, you should be fine in most areas. If you want to get an overview of what the level of maths is required, I recommend looking at the following book: Schaum's Outline of Statistics in Psychology by Larry J Stephens (it should be all the maths you would need for straight psychology degrees).

Despite how much is involved in becoming a psychologist, you would be surprised to find out that it's insanely more competitive than getting into law (in my opinion).

In any case, you would be able to still go into a variety of areas with a degree in either law or psychology outside of the sectors, partly because other areas of work don't need specific degrees. You won't be able to apply for work that involves a lot of maths (not that you would likely be interested), academia for specific subjects, and certain areas of healthcare. If this is OK for you, you should be fine with either degrees.
If you want a degree that would allow you to go into psychology and law, then I recommend doing the psychology degree as your bachelor's and then later decide what you want to do (if you want to become a barrister, you would need to do the postgrad GDPL after your degree).
If you happen to do law first, you can do a BPS accredited conversion course at postgrad level before you do your master's/PhD in forensic psychology.

Personal advice: go for the subject that you're most passionate about. That way you would likely regret the least about your choices irrespective of what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending