The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cool!

If you need help with anything else, I'd be more than glad to help!

thank you so much!
Reply 21
Omg I'm so confused with simultaneous equations...
Can someone show how to continue this please! Thanks.

4x+2y=13 X3
5x+3y=17 X2

12x+6y=39
10x+6y=34

(The signs are the same, so you subtract the equations from each other?)

2x=6
x=3

12+2y=13
2y=13-12
2y=1
y=1/2

So, x=3 and y=0.5

However, the answers say that x=2.5 and y=1.5?

Please help someone my prelim is on Thursday!
You have just made a silly mistake when subtracting the equations.

3934639-34\neq6:p:
Reply 23
namedeprived
You have just made a silly mistake when subtracting the equations.

3934639-34\neq6:p:

Lmao pretend that never happened. Omg I've made so many pointless mistakes today. 6^2 = 6?, 14x+2x=15x and now this.
Thanks ha!
Could you please do me a quick favour and change the subject of this equation to x, c, and then a for me. It's just so I can see what happens when different parts move to the opposite side of =.

x/c+a=b

Ty.
Is that xc+a=b\dfrac{x}{c+a}=b or xc+a=b\dfrac{x}{c}+a=b?
Quintro
Reply 26
namedeprived

It's the second one sorry.
Quintro
It's the second one sorry.

Ok, rearranging for x. We first want to get rid of the +a by subtracting it from both sides, giving xc=ba\frac{x}{c}=b-a We know have a fraction with the numerator equal to x. We want to keep this numerator and get rid of the denominator from the LHS of the equation, so we multiply both sides by c, giving x=c(ba)x=c(b-a), which you could multiply out if you wanted.

From this rearranging for c is a fairly simple single step.

When rearranging for (a) I would suggest rearranging from the original equation.

If you need any more help just ask.
Reply 28
namedeprived
Ok, rearranging for x. We first want to get rid of the +a by subtracting it from both sides, giving xc=ba\frac{x}{c}=b-a We know have a fraction with the numerator equal to x. We want to keep this numerator and get rid of the denominator from the LHS of the equation, so we multiply both sides by c, giving x=c(ba)x=c(b-a), which you could multiply out if you wanted.

From this rearranging for c is a fairly simple single step.

When rearranging for (a) I would suggest rearranging from the original equation.

If you need any more help just ask.

Omg thank you so much! You have no idea how much you helping me out here and how much I appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused with surds as when my class done them in school I was absent and I'm trying to learn on my own but these books have terrible examples.

Could you please walk me through these 2 questions please.. I'm really sorry I don't know how to write the square root symbol:

2 root 5 + root 20 - root 45
Express as a surd in it's simplest form.

2 root 3 X root 6

Thanks
Quintro
Omg thank you so much! You have no idea how much you helping me out here and how much I appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused with surds as when my class done them in school I was absent and I'm trying to learn on my own but these books have terrible examples.

Could you please walk me through these 2 questions please.. I'm really sorry I don't know how to write the square root symbol:

2 root 5 + root 20 - root 45

2 root 3 X root 6

Thanks

If you want to know how to use the square root symbol and make your equations look nicer click here.

Now the most important rule you'll need to know about surds is that a×b=ab\sqrt{a}\times\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{ab}

Now for your first equation can you see that 5,20 and 45 are all multiples of 5. This suggests that we will be able to get them all in a form involving 5\sqrt5

For the first one we have 25+5×45×92\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{5\times4} - \sqrt{5\times9}

This equals

Spoiler

Try the second one yourself. Surds are one of the hardest things at Sg/Int 2 to get your head around imo, so don't worry if you're finding it difficult.
Reply 30
Can you show me how..

5×9=35\sqrt {5\times9}=3\sqrt{5}

Please..
Wow that latex thing is nice :biggrin:
Quintro
Can you show me how..

5×9=35\sqrt {5\times9}=3\sqrt{5}

Please..
Wow that latex thing is nice :biggrin:

5×9=9×5=3×5\sqrt{5\times9}=\sqrt{9} \times \sqrt{5}=3 \times \sqrt{5}

You're right, looks so much nicer thantrying to represent it with ordinary text. :smile:
Reply 32
I get it now! Oh my god thank you I thought I was never going to get it.
Is the answer to the second one:

626\sqrt 2 ?
Quintro
I get it now! Oh my god thank you I thought I was never going to get it.
Is the answer to the second one:

626\sqrt 2 ?

:yep:

:smile:

Thanks for the rep btw.
Reply 34
namedeprived
:yep:

:smile:

Thanks for the rep btw.

Nb. Oh yeah I hit a question the other day where you had to find the height of a cuboid when given the length, the breadth and the volume.

LBH=V

So when I'm changing the subject of this, am I allowed to divide both sides by both L and B at the same time?

Does this mean H=V/LB ?
Quintro
Nb. Oh yeah I hit a question the other day where you had to find the height of a cuboid when given the length, the breadth and the volume.

LBH=V

So when I'm changing the subject of this, am I allowed to divide both sides by both L and B at the same time?

Does this mean H=V/LB ?

Yes, you can divide through by anything if you have an equation(provided it isn't 0!), as long as you make sure you do the same to both sides.
Reply 36
namedeprived
Yes, you can divide through by anything if you have an equation(provided it isn't 0!), as long as you make sure you do the same to both sides.

Nice that's really useful. I think the following type of question is one of the only ones I don't know how to do out of all my past papers now. Can you show me how to work out the following please...

3(x+1)1(x2)\frac{3}{(x+1)} - \frac{1}{(x-2)}

As a fraction in it's simplest form.

Where x can't be -1 or 2.
Quintro
Nice that's really useful. I think the following type of question is one of the only ones I don't know how to do out of all my past papers now. Can you show me how to work out the following please...

3(x+1)1x2\frac{3}{(x+1)} - \frac{1}{x-2}

As a fraction in it's simplest form.

Where x can't be -1 or 2.

What do you have to have in order to take away one fraction from another?
Reply 38
The same denominator, but I don't know how I would achieve that. I know it's probably something REALLY basic lol, but I can't think for some reason.
Quintro
The same denominator, but I don't know how I would achieve that. I know it's probably something REALLY basic lol, but I can't think for some reason.

When you have a fraction, remember that if you can multiply both the numerator and denominator by a certain the fraction remains the same. Multiply the numerator and the denominator of the first fraction by some expression involving x and multiply the second fraction by a differentexpression involving x, so that both fractions have the same denominator.

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending