The Student Room Group

Is a course change possible this early on?

Hi guys, I'm an international student who has applied for social sciences. I've already gotten a conditional offer from one of my schools (KCL) and am still waiting the other 4 out.
Recently I've had a change in heart and I've started to look a lot more into Law. After a bit of thought I've decided that maybe I like law a lot more than social sciences and it's going to be easier for my future career.
Does anyone know if it's possible to switch courses this early on? People say earlier is better but I feel like this may be too early as I'm planning on contacting schools as soon as they give me offers.
I also have a few options right now. I can either
1. If I get into cambridge (finished my interview, waiting for my offer rn) I'll just keep my course choice as it is
2. I can take a gap year and re-apply for Law, but there's no guarantee that I'll get into any good schools
3. I can attend uni and apply for a transfer to LLB in the same school (but I haven't taken the LNAT, so option 2 is more plausible right now)
4. Just study social sciences and apply for GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) before going into a Masters in Law, but is this difficult? I heard the GDL is very taxing and it's not as good as an LLB.
5. i can re-apply my final UCAS slot as a Law course but my personal statement is very social science focused.

Some extra info:
As I've applied for HSPS in Cambridge, my personal statement is also very general social science focused, not just sociology but also polsci, IR, geography etc etc.
I take IBDP and currently have a predicted 41/42 with HL 7/7/7.
My HL subjects are English, Int Politics, and Math Applications & Interpretations.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by miyaspudding
Hi guys, I'm an international student who has applied for social sciences. I've already gotten a conditional offer from one of my schools (KCL) and am still waiting the other 4 out.
Recently I've had a change in heart and I've started to look a lot more into Law. After a bit of thought I've decided that maybe I like law a lot more than social sciences and it's going to be easier for my future career.
Does anyone know if it's possible to switch courses this early on? People say earlier is better but I feel like this may be too early as I'm planning on contacting schools as soon as they give me offers.
1. If I get into cambridge (finished my interview, waiting for my offer rn) I'll just keep my course choice as it is
2. I can wait until March season and I can re-apply everything there for law
3. I can attend uni and apply for a transfer to LLB in the same school
4. Just study social sciences and apply for GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law), but is this difficult?

Some extra info:
As I've applied for HSPS in Cambridge, my personal statement is also very general social science focused, not just sociology but also polsci, IR, geography etc etc.
My HL subjects are English, Int Politics, and Math Applications & Interpretations.

You will have problem getting into Law at Kings as they require LNAT to have been taken by December I think.
Reply 2
As above - tricky if any of your Unis require LNAT for Law.
All you can do is email or phone your Unis and ask.

Its best to contact them now as after the UCAS deadline Unis 'numbers' become a bit more definite and sometimes course switches are no longer possible.
Original post by miyaspudding
2. I can take a gap year and re-apply for Law, but there's no guarantee that I'll get into any good schools
3. I can attend uni and apply for a transfer to LLB in the same school (but I haven't taken the LNAT, so option 2 is more plausible right now)
4. Just study social sciences and apply for GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) before going into a Masters in Law, but is this difficult? I heard the GDL is very taxing and it's not as good as an LLB.
5. i can re-apply my final UCAS slot as a Law course but my personal statement is very social science focused.

Some extra info:

Hi @miyaspudding

Unfortunately, I think this will have to be a decision which you make based off your personal desires as all of these options have potential! Some universities may not allow you to switch to LLB because of a lack of LNAT, however, there is no harm in asking them. Therefore, you could reach out to the unis when you receive an offer and ask. If they say no, then you can decide whether to take a gap year or do the GLD and, if they say yes, then it was well worth asking.
In terms of the gap year, this is a popular route and would do no harm, particularly if you use it to gain good experiences and bulk your CV.
I wouldn't worry about the GDL. I completed it last year and although taxing was absolutely fine. Also, nearly half of newly qualified lawyers have gone through the conversion route so I don't believe it has any impact on your future applications in comparison to a LLB.
In terms of your 5th place, you could apply and see what happens but ofc you would have to choose a uni like ULaw or Exeter which doesn't require LNATs.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending