The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm on the register, yes.

I won't need my organs after I'm gone, and I want to save lives.
Yes, I'm on the register.
I'm not as of this very moment, but I do plan to sign-up eventually... I won't need my organs once I'm gone, after-all.
Reply 4
I'm not, but intend to register soon. Hopefully stem cells may provide some answers to organ shortages :smile:
Reply 5
Not criticising at all, but can I ask why those who 'intend to register soon' haven't done so far? You never know what's going to happen - so surely it's better to sign up right now, than to wait?
Reply 6
Yep. All ready to be sliced up.
lucyloves*
What are your thoughts? Are you on the register? Why? And if not, why not?

No and dont intend to be...
To those who want to sign up eventually:

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/RegistrationForm.do

There's your chance. Do it.
I am on the register- I think the tv adverts on at the moment get it exactly right, if I or a family member needed an organ I would have no hesitations taking one- donating stops lives being lost needlessly. I am also a blood donor for the same reasons.

In the current system, though, doesn't being on the register serve only as an indication, and the final choice of whether to let organs be taken or not will come down to family members when you die?
Nope, and I don't intend to be anytime soon.
Reply 11
On the register and wouldn't want to have it any other way - if somebody can benefit from my death, then why not! :smile:
Reply 12
Flying Scotsman
Nope, and I don't intend to be anytime soon.

May I ask why not? :smile:
Reply 13
Everything except my eyes. I love my organ donation card. :smile:
Reply 14
Who'd_Have_Known

In the current system, though, doesn't being on the register serve only as an indication, and the final choice of whether to let organs be taken or not will come down to family members when you die?

Unfortunately so. Ridiculous if you ask me. Though I'd hope that whoever had that kind of power over my body would respect my wishes.
Reply 15
ily_em
May I ask why not? :smile:

I second that.

The thought of being cut open freaks me out a little, but I got over that. Just like I get over the fear of needles to give blood. I'm not gonna need my organs when I'm dead, but other people might will.
Yes, I am on the register.
Reply 17
I am currently on it, but will be taking my name off as soon as I can be bothered, as I only indicated I wanted to be on it (when applying for my first driving licence years ago) without thinking what I was doing.
Reply 18
I'm planning to, my family know that I want to donate my organs if I go (and they have to sign off), i'm just not on a register yet (didn't know how/recent thoughts) just not my eyes, well mine dont work anyway but theres just something about any bit of your eyes being transplanted... eek.
Reply 19
I wonder if one of the people who don't intend to sign up could explain why?

I am on the register. I believe it should be an opt-out system, not an opt-in.

Latest

Trending

Trending