The Student Room Group

MEN- Why do you donate/ do not donate blood?

I'm doing a project on blood donation awareness targeted at males as they are half as less likely to donate compared to females. What reasons do you have for donating/ not donating. If the latter, what is stopping/ preventing you from doing so and what would convince you to in the future? This could be but not limited to: Fears, time contraints, lack of awareness etc.

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Used to regularly, but medical stuff means I cant now.
Reply 2
I donate whenever I can. It's literally the easiest way to help save people's life.
I'm underweight so it is not always possible.

I work now at a blood donation center. Men donate blood for the same reasons women do. The main problem with men, they are more scared of needles but they won't admit it. I mean, a woman can just say she's afraid of needles but still wants to donate blood (especially now), a man would say he's not afraid yet act like he's scared to death and try to hide it. Dude, it is harder to take blood from you that way, and it hurts you more... don't hide it, we are trained to take blood from people who are scared but it you are trying to hide it it makes things more difficult.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
I have some medical stuff making it difficult to.
My dad donates blood.
The reason he does it is because my brother was in hospital a-lot when he was younger and needed to have blood transplants. Those helped save his life and my dad was extremely grateful for the donations. Its been about 7/8 years and my dad is donating blood because he wants to help someone in need too because he knows how much of a life saver it really is. He says its a good feeling because he knows he's doing good, especially when he gets an email of where the blood has been transported too.
That's his reason for it. I'm a girl so this wont help you but it's why i'm going to donate. My first appointment is in November

I hope this somehow helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
My dad donates blood.
The reason he does it is because my brother was in hospital a-lot when he was younger and needed to have blood transplants. Those helped save his life and my dad was extremely grateful for the donations. Its been about 7/8 years and my dad is donating blood because he wants to help someone in need too because he knows how much of a life saver it really is. He says its a good feeling because he knows he's doing good, especially when he gets an email of where the blood has been transported too.
That's his reason for it. I'm a girl so this wont help you but it's why i'm going to donate. My first appointment is in November

I hope this somehow helps :smile:

I did it for the free coffee/biscuit, but thats a much better reason.
I'm not allowed to give blood because I'm epileptic. If I could donate, I would though!

Quick Reply

Latest