The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There's a thread on this question somewhere, someone asked this yesterday.
was this from june 09?
Reply 3
Are you told what the equation for f(x) is, and are you given any other information in parts a and b?
Reply 4
BrightGirl
was this from june 09?

yeee
dee321
yeee

ahhh, i sat that paper! can't actually remember the answer to this question though, sorry :colondollar:
Reply 6
ttoby
Are you told what the equation for f(x) is, and are you given any other information in parts a and b?

here is the rest of the question
Reply 7
BrightGirl
ahhh, i sat that paper! can't actually remember the answer to this question though, sorry :colondollar:

i know the awnser which is x> -k but dont know why?
dee321
here is the rest of the question

the range is y > -k , as it's just the y = ex graph shifted down by k (it's now asymptotic to y = -k instead of y = 0).

range is always y, the domain is always x.

edit: well in this case, you could put it as f(x) > -k (which is still basically the same as y > -k)
Reply 9
For exponential functions the range is f(x)>0 since they approach but never touch the line y=0 ( the asymptote).

However, in this question you should apply transformation. It's shifted vertically by 'K' units in the negative direction.

Therefore, the new range will be f(x)>-k
Reply 10
FZka
For exponential functions the range is f(x)>0 since they approach but never touch the line y=0 ( the asymptote).

However, in this question you should apply transformation. It's shifted vertically by 'K' units in the negative direction.

thanks that made it clear
Reply 11
BrightGirl
the range is y > -k , as it's just the y = ex graph shifted down by k (it's now asymptotic to y = -k instead of y = 0).

range is always y, the domain is always x.

edit: well in this case, you could put it as f(x) > -k (which is still basically the same as y > -k)

thanks taht made it clear:yes: :yes:
Reply 12
dee321
thanks that made it clear

No worries. Good luck.
Reply 13
FZka

but what about the y values below -k as -8 will have an y value less than -k is taht so??
Reply 14
dee321
but what about the y values below -k as -8 will have an y value less than -k is taht so??

The range of a function is the set of values which y can take.

In this question we've found out that the range is f(x)>-k i.e. the function cannot take y values below -k.

-k is the new horizontal asymptote instead of the line y=0 (the x-axis)
Reply 15
FZka
The range of a function is the set of values which y can take.

In this question we've found out that the range is f(x)>-k i.e. the function cannot take y values below -k.

-k is the new horizontal asymptote instead of the line y=0 (the x-axis)

okkkk fully understand now thanks:smile: :smile:

Latest