The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You see women walking around in the summer wearing next to nothing, so, because of this, women should be allowed to walk around covered from head to toe!
Reply 41
Renner
If I wore a balaclava down the street I would get funny looks from people and probably asked to remove it by the police, the veil should be no different.

You would be perfectly within your rights to wear a balaclava down the street. Just as a Muslim woman is well within hers to wear a veil.
Islamophobia is a nonsense propaganda concept. Islam is a politico-religious ideology. Being opposed to it isn't some sort of irrational fear, any more than being opposed to the Labour Party is.
How depressing, another party that was once reasonably attractive has become a complete ******* joke.
It's not Islamaphobic, it's sensible.
Aeolus

:teehee: Luckily, ill informed individuals, prone to sensationalism like yourself are in the minority. UKIP are fast losing the reasoned and rational support they once had from liberal citizens who valued freedom. They have sold this intelligent group of people out, for a collection of knee jerk, daily mail reading fools.

Pisses me of tbh.
I want farage back. :emo:
Reply 46
This is a good policy - to put it simply those arguing that this is an attack on civil rights are wrong - the women who wear burkas are being oppressed into wearing them - this removes that issue.
Also, it clears up so double standards - if I'm not allowed to wear a balaclava and all black in an airport neither should anyone else.
Reply 47
Chem555
Some of you women should cover up, I seen the sight on friday night, dressed like sluts, then get drunk then cry rape.

Oh yeah, because it's absolutely the woman's fault that the man decides to rape them, and not the fault of the man for taking the decision to rape. Of course. Troll.
Oh ffs.

READ the OP fully and not just the title.

They want to ban the Burka & Niqaab in public buildings and allow private places the freedom to choose whether or not it's acceptable.

I couldn't walk into a public building wearing a mask or motorcycle helmet over my face, nor a bank. Why should it be any different for anyone else? :rolleyes:

As for the point of religion... fine.... i am hereby founding a new religion where it is imperative to carry weapons and have a motorcycle helmet on your head at all times....all for ceremonial purposes of course.......

Right on UKIP.
Aeolus
Luckily, ill informed individuals, prone to sensationalism like yourself are in the minority. UKIP are fast losing the reasoned and rational support they once had from liberal citizens who valued freedom. They have sold this intelligent group of people out, for a collection of knee jerk, daily mail reading fools.

Is it really that bad? I haven't been following UKIP for a while, but while I don't support this, it doesn't make them worse than the main parties by any means.
SpamBa
No, it is an example of giving women equal status in society. These garments are, in my opinion, demeaning and are not a required part of being a muslim.

In my opinion, it's demeaning for women to wear miniskirts or show cleavage. And it's not a requirement in any religion either.

Ban then both?

In fact, if we're all about giving women equal status to men, why not just ban all blouses, skirts and women's clothes?
fireph
This is a good policy - to put it simply those arguing that this is an attack on civil rights are wrong - the women who wear burkas are being oppressed into wearing them - this removes that issue.
Also, it clears up so double standards - if I'm not allowed to wear a balaclava and all black in an airport neither should anyone else.

Up to the airport. I would have no problem in say a bank decided they can't be worn on the premisis on the basis that people who cover their faces tend to want to take rather more money out than they put in. But in every public place, every street? Insanity. Let people decide what happens on their property but for the government to ban it is simply oppression.
As for them being opressed by being made to wear it how can you tell? They may CHOOSE to wear it. If they are being force to wear it on fear of abuse the solution is not to ban the clothing but to stop the abuse.
HDS
Oh ffs.

READ the OP fully and not just the title.

They want to ban the Burka & Niqaab in public buildings and allow private places the freedom to choose whether or not it's acceptable.

I couldn't walk into a public building wearing a mask or motorcycle helmet over my face, nor a bank. Why should it be any different for anyone else? :rolleyes:

As for the point of religion... fine.... i am hereby founding a new religion where it is imperative to carry weapons and have a motorcycle helmet on your head at all times....all for ceremonial purposes of course.......

Right on UKIP.

Why ban it in public places? I see no need. I also don't see why I can't pop down to my local jobcentre or CAB in a balaclava if I choose personally.
Banks are not public buildings.
Reply 53
Collingwood
Is it really that bad? I haven't been following UKIP for a while, but while I don't support this, it doesn't make them worse than the main parties by any means.

Lord Pearson seems to be taking a completely different direction to Farage. It isn't just this policy, but the shift in general attitude. Friends of mine who have been long time supporters and even campaigners are jumping ship. :dontknow:
Reply 54
fireph
This is a good policy - to put it simply those arguing that this is an attack on civil rights are wrong - the women who wear burkas are being oppressed into wearing them

How do you know this?
Reply 55
UKIP are just as bad as the BNP. They come out with all the crap about not being a racist/facist group, but deep down they know damn well what they're doing. What right have they got to tell someone what not to wear. Freedom and democracy is about choices, you'll be taking it away if the burkha is banned. Why would you want to see their face in a public place, the women wears it for a reason because thats what she believes in. This is another case of islamphobia and taking away someones rights.

Maybe we should all go around in the nude from now on, i'm sure UKIP won't mind that.
Reply 56
I really doubt UKIP would ban it on every public street - in buildings though it should be at the discretion of the manager- if its a building which has security risks ban outright- if not let the owner/ manager choose.
Also - as regards women choosing to wear Burkas- i really doubt it - if you read around Islam you'll find a reason for the Burka is so that men aren't too tempted and "forced" to rape women (which would of course be the womens fault for dressing provacativly).
Let's be honest, the only reason for banning to Burka is because we're not used to it so we think it looks kind of weird. Might as well drop the whole "demeaning" charade now...
Reply 58
crazylemon
Why ban it in public places? I see no need. I also don't see why I can't pop down to my local jobcentre or CAB in a balaclava if I choose personally.
Banks are not public buildings.

I think it should depend on the public place as to whether or not they are allowed. I don't think anything should be banned without a good reason. I can understand them being banned in relatively high risk place such as airports, train stations and the like.

I suppose banks aren't public buildings, but obviously it's a place where it's quite important for security reasons that everyone who goes in can be identified. As such I'm sure a lot of banks would choose to not allow them.
Reply 59
It's just cultural conservatism. Every country has a right to protect itself from outside cultural influences. I would support the ban. Also, I would have no problem following the laws of another country, if I chose to go there, such as if they wanted to make me wear a turban. If you don't like the rules, stay in your own country.

Latest

Trending

Trending