The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was a very paranoid teen, infact ever since i was child i took things sensitively, when i smoked pot though i never expirienced paranoia and couldnt give a sheeeet if police went past.

I remember shortly before stopping, i had a period of quite major depression and i didnt know why. I then hotboxed a tent with some mates and in the morning, the depression had lifted and didnt come back.

I know its just an individual story but then again so are most of these tales in the daily mail and sun which telll of some previously angelic kid taking one puff and mutilating the family pet.
thompsonbassman
The rumours about "skunk" are totally dumb-founded. If you say stuff like "skunk bad, weed good" then you don't have a clue. Skunk is just a stupid name for strong weed. It is no more dangerous than your average weed..... really. It's just ******* bomb weed! You want that stuff!!

I think that's quite irresponsible to tell people, skunk is most certainly not something that anybody would want - or if for some strange reason you actually enjoy it, you're in the vast minority.

I get high to relax, giggle, get munchies, appreciate music, read wikipedia for hours etc.

I don't get high to barely be able to walk, have an insanely fast heartbeat, to have my legs twitch, etc.

Either you don't smoke skunk, or you smoke very tiny amounts, or you're some kind of absolute machine.
Bad, seriously in a few years when the long term effects of skunk become apparant the causal relationship of cannabis use and paranoid schizophrenia will become more and more obvious.

It is also smoking and so can cause lung cancer, although obviously rates in tobacco smokers are higher cos they stick burning **** in their mouths and inhale it more often than pot smokers do.

The medicinal effects for AIDS patients I would love to see as cannabis is a known immunosuppressant, through its effects on CB2 receptors, and I don't think that will help too many AIDS pts tbh... Same for cancer patients, how is suppressing their immune system going to help them beat the cancer that is only there due to a mess-up in the immune function and genetics balance? The only patients I would argue get any benefits are MS patients and some with chronic pain possibly...

It's also been linked with infertility, obesity and increased stroke risk...
CandyFlipper
I think that's quite irresponsible to tell people, skunk is most certainly not something that anybody would want - or if for some strange reason you actually enjoy it, you're in the vast minority.

I get high to relax, giggle, get munchies, appreciate music, read wikipedia for hours etc.

I don't get high to barely be able to walk, have an insanely fast heartbeat, to have my legs twitch, etc.

Either you don't smoke skunk, or you smoke very tiny amounts, or you're some kind of absolute machine.

Mate don't get me wrong I smoke weed for the same reasons as you. I'm against the use of the word skunk to re-classify cannabis to class B. Jaqui Smith made me hate that word.

It's the dank. You smoke a little and it goes a long way. Only comes around every so often. But mate no I smoke weed in the same way you do but there is nothing out there that is super strong and going to cause crazy mental health problems that is any different to herbal cannabis. Thc strengths vary of course they do.. like all drugs you can get varying strengths.

There is good weed, there is bad weed - but I almost always get high :smile:.

Legalise.
little_penguin
Bad, seriously in a few years when the long term effects of skunk become apparant the causal relationship of cannabis use and paranoid schizophrenia will become more and more obvious.

It is also smoking and so can cause lung cancer, although obviously rates in tobacco smokers are higher cos they stick burning **** in their mouths and inhale it more often than pot smokers do.

The medicinal effects for AIDS patients I would love to see as cannabis is a known immunosuppressant, through its effects on CB2 receptors, and I don't think that will help too many AIDS pts tbh... Same for cancer patients, how is suppressing their immune system going to help them beat the cancer that is only there due to a mess-up in the immune function and genetics balance? The only patients I would argue get any benefits are MS patients and some with chronic pain possibly...

Do your own research, read around on the internet instead of believing what you've read. It would not be legal for medicinal purposes in 14 US states if it was not beneficial. It helps cancer patients going through chemotherapy to get their appetite back.

Just have a little read around! :smile:
Reply 45
It isn't good or bad. It's a drug which poses less risk to humans than many legal activities (such as horse riding) and should be descriminalised in the UK as it's illegality is invalid.
little_penguin

Evidence for this? Saying your argument is obvious does not actually make it so.

little_penguin

I'd love to know where you're getting your information. There has never, ever, ever been a recorded case linking cannabis use to lung cancer. Furthermore, there's absolutely no need to smoke cannabis to get the effect. You can vaporise it or cook it into things.

little_penguin

Citations please.
Reply 47
little_penguin

So has watching television. We could do a correlation study to "link" all of them with wearing shoes if we wanted. Correlation doesn't necessitate cause and effect.

Example to illustrate: By the time the sun rises, there's milk on my doormat, therefore the sun has caused the milk to be on my doormat the milk has been placed on my doormat by the time the sun rises.
Thingeh
So has watching television. We could do a correlation study to "link" all of them with wearing shoes if we wanted. Correlation doesn't necessitate cause and effect.

Example to illustrate: By the time the sun rises, there's milk on my doormat, therefore the sun has caused the milk to be on my doormat the milk has been placed on my doormat by the time the sun rises.

Very important point.

I hate the misuse of correlations. They are thrown about all the time like they are supposed to prove a point...
Reply 49
Johnthebaptist1
very true, a lot of garbage spread about the negative aspects of Cannabis.

Some of it presented as valid scientific research.

It's like global warming in that respect :biggrin:

I'm personally against it. I would never smoke it, and don't want it legalised. It leads on to too many problems for too many people. I've seen a couple of school mates ruin their lives because they were too busy getting high to focus on anything important. One of them is apparently now heavily into cocaine and is a complete mess. Rather than 'appeasing' people who use it heavily and turn to crime to feed their habit, I would prefer to see penalties for ALL drug use increased, and funding for the police, prison service, rehab groups etc. increased to catch those who do and deal it, lock them up and put them through rehab. I also think drug dealers should be automatically sentenced to life with no parole. It's the only way to truly get them off the street.
Reply 50
Good and Bad.
Good because i mean in studies it helps with pain relief etc...
but bad because of all the side effects and from past experience with my step dad taking it for 25 years, it tears the family apart.
Bad bad bad.

My cousin has drug induced schizophrenia as a result of cannabis. When i see what has happened to him, i can't think of it as anything but horrendous.
A drug like cannabis is neither inherently bad nor good - it is how it is used/abused that makes it such. Responsible, occasional use can be good - a way to unwind that is less harmful than tobacco. Irresponsible, frequent use can be bad - suddenly a way to unwind becomes a way of life . . . a habit . . . then an addiction. You end up liking the high so much that you take it just to avoid the lows. Then you need more as your body develops a resistance to it's effects. The amount you need increases, whilst the effect you feel decreases. This is weak and pathetic - and definitely very bad. Ultimately - it depends on the user, as with all drugs. Some people use alcohol responsibly, some do not.
dreamyeyed
Bad bad bad.

My cousin has drug induced schizophrenia as a result of cannabis. When i see what has happened to him, i can't think of it as anything but horrendous.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

I very much doubt any of his doctors could actually say with any degree of certainty that his cannabis use caused his schizophrenia.
Reply 54
Say there is two people and every time one goes out drinking and clubbing the other smokes a few joints say 1.7G the "criminal" is obviously going to be alot better off over a long period
Therefore weed is good i'm actually in my room now with just under 1.5 kgs of bud smoking a joint oh and a key of smack yes i'm a drug dealer
Reply 55
I think the real question here is probably "ARBITRARY BINARY CHOICES: Good or Bad?".

I've never tried cannabis myself, but I've seen plenty of people enjoy its effects with no bad side-effects. Those are just anecdotes, though I'm fairly sure legalization would be much the best step. In the end, it doesn't come down to what it does to your health, but in whether or not you have the right to affect your own health positively or negatively. To the most degree, you do. The effects on society, as people have said above, seem likely to be worse for alcohol than cannabis- and surely that's the thing which drug legislation should concern itself with.
thompsonbassman
Very important point.

I hate the misuse of correlations. They are thrown about all the time like they are supposed to prove a point...

I remember when my lecturer made this point and showed us a graph plotting number of pirates vs. average global temperature then concluded that as the number of pirates falls across the centuries, global warming increases. Therefore we need more pirates.

dreamyeyed

You don't know that cannabis caused his schizophrenia.
Reply 57
counterproductivity.
az1992
There is proabably countless threads already on this but i thought i might just start a fresh debate.

We hear so much about the mental effects it has.

But surely temporary feelings of paranoia, forgetfulness and the munchies aren't reason enough to ban it? Then there is all this stuff about hallucinations. Granted when i did it, i never whited, id just jam with a zeut, but I have never ever heard of anyone expiriencing any hallucinations to the point that it scared or endangered them, just stories of talking doritos and white dwarfs in the trees.

Granted, im sure long term use can be harmful but even then there is doubts about that. Also overuse of any substance, whether it be legal and illegal, is going to do some harm.

Ofcourse I'll finish on the old cliche point that, as of yet, no-one has died directly of cannabis misuse. It has been proved dangerous in rats, but even then the amount needed to kill them was comparable to a human smoking a few pounds of green in less then a minute. Also, research shows that we even have a cannabinoud system inside of us? As far as im aware, there is no physiological system that makes use of alcohol?

I personally havent smoked pot since i was 14 partly because for 10 quid i could get 10 bottles of peroni or atleast 3 pints of something. Also there is the whole memory thing. Whether having cannabis in your system for 3 months has any cognitive effects, i want to be safe then sorry as i need every braincell i can muster. finally there is the whole social stigma, people looking down at you and labeling you a crackhead.

But what are your opinions on this holy herb?

I welcome a healthy debate from both sides of the spectrum.

Depends, if it's from up north it's bad. But if you can get some of the fiiinest 'omegrown from around Notts then dang that's some gurddd shiieett!!!!
I don't think it's any worse than alcohol - in fact I'd say it's even less harmful, in terms of addiction and in terms of short term effects. I've never seen someone high on cannabis get violent or become completely irrational... and those things happen with alcohol a hell of a lot.

I did it plenty at University. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan, I don't particularly enjoy the feeling and I find it very hard to sleep stoned (I hate wanting to sleep but being unable to :frown: ). Plenty of my friends did it more often than me and I've yet to see any negative consequences.

I know there are problems with people of a lower socioeconomic status abusing it / using it every day but, to be honest, I don't think the cannabis use is the cause of problems for them so much as a symptom, much like a lot of alcohol abuse is in those situations. Their lives were miserable to start with, and getting drunk / high makes it a little more bearable.

Latest

Trending

Trending