The Student Room Group

Is it possible to drink too much water?

With the extreme heat, I am drinking so much water. Is it possible to drink too much water?
Yes although it takes a lot of water for it to happen, and usually occurs in sportspeople. Search 'overhydration' for medical advice - there are various recommended amounts per hour and per day since your body can only deal with so much at once.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Yes although it takes a lot of water for it to happen, and usually occurs in sportspeople. Search 'overhydration' for medical advice - there are various recommended amounts per hour and per day since your body can only deal with so much at once.

thanks will do. can't give you another rep as it looks like i done it to many times. obviously i like your advice/comments:smile:
Yes, eating or drinking anything in very excessive quantities can be dangerous.
Water intoxication symptoms, hyponatremia and fluid overload can occur when far too much water is consumed.

The risk to human heath is particularly severe when on a low sodium diet or consuming any powerful narcotics substances (illegal and legal).
In July 2023, 35 year old Ashley Summers died of water intoxication after drinking 2l of water over 30 mins.
In November 1995, 18 year old Leah Betts died of water intoxication and hyponatremia after consuming 7 litres of water over a 90 minute time frame.
Both women had no history of kidney problems and had previously been in good health.
Miss Betts had taken one ecstasy tablet, Mrs Summers had not used any illegal narcotics nor taken any powerful legal drugs.
It has been suggested that the death of the actor Bruce Lee in July 1973 may have been primarily due to a combination of water intoxication, over-exertion and hyponatremia.
Mr Lee consumed cannabis and had his underarm sweat glands removed in 1972.

Quick Reply

Latest