The Student Room Group

Drug driving - nursing course

I am a 2nd year mental health nursing student. I have recently been arrested for drug driving. I have been struggling with my mental health and used some cannabis after a long time of abstinence due to stress and being overwhelmed as stupid decision as it was. I was pulled over with a break light out and tested positive for cannabis use due to police stating they smelled cannabis in the car. Will this result in me being excluded from my mental health nursing course?
Original post by cjC34
I am a 2nd year mental health nursing student. I have recently been arrested for drug driving. I have been struggling with my mental health and used some cannabis after a long time of abstinence due to stress and being overwhelmed as stupid decision as it was. I was pulled over with a break light out and tested positive for cannabis use due to police stating they smelled cannabis in the car. Will this result in me being excluded from my mental health nursing course?

You'll need to declare it to your university once you have been properly charged for it.
They will decide what the outcome of this will be as each case is dealt with on it on merit.

Have a look at the NMC guidelines for drugs related offences ......

The Nursing and Midwifery Council
https://www.nmc.org.uk ftp-library
Criminal offences we don't investigate

@Emily_B
@Tracey_W
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cjC34

What was the outcome of this did you stay on your course?
Reply 3
Drink-driving offences and i guess cannabis dg driving
Drink-driving offences will only call into question a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise if:

the offence occurred either in the course of a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s professional duties, driving to or from those duties, or during on-call or standby arrangements
there are aggravating circumstances connected with the offence, or
it is a repeat offence.
If a nurse, midwife or nursing associate has been convicted of a drink-driving offence, decision makers should consider whether we need to explore any underlying alcohol issues that indicate the nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is impaired because of their health.

In such cases the nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s employer, general practitioner or occupational health department should be contacted for additional information. you must tell them. few folks are removed for a single incident. however not telling them is a major cause of refusal or removal. obviously needing drugs to de stress is less than ideal. but thats your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending