The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think women should be entitled to have an abortion and be free of any guilt associated with their decision. If they do feel guilty, that is another matter.
Women should be able to feel guilt-free after an abortion. It is up to them to decide what's right for them, and no-one should feel guilty about that. Society influences our values more than we realise, so if abortion became more accepted and open then I think less women would feel guilty about it. This would be a good thing - for some women it's not a difficult decision and she should be allowed to have that view. At the moment I think their are enough anti-abortion discussions to make women feel shameful about abortions. I am strongly pro-choice, but if I got pregnant now, I would be unsure what to do.
Reply 62
Kinkerz
But I can spell idiot correctly.

Are still trolling, Mr. Simpson?
If you don't like abortions, don't have one.
Reply 64
nolongerhearthemusic
The MAP prevents conception.

I thought the MAP prevented the implantation of the embryo into the uterus, i dont think it stops egg meeting sperm and conception. Correct me if im wrong though
Ruthi-SH
I thought the MAP prevented the implantation of the embryo into the uterus, i dont think it stops egg meeting sperm and conception. Correct me if im wrong though

Yep you are wrong. Its main mechanism is preventing ovulation. It can also prevent implantation, but so can the normal pill. The MAP is the same as the pill but it's a larger dose of the same hormones which prevents ovulation for the few days that the sperm would survive.
Reply 66
nolongerhearthemusic
Yep you are wrong. Its main mechanism is preventing ovulation. It can also prevent implantation, but so can the normal pill. The MAP is the same as the pill but it's a larger dose of the same hormones which prevents ovulation for the few days that the sperm would survive.

Wow, well, i guess my a level biology was a lie on some parts then, thank you
Death is a normal, inevitable part of life, but we still grieve.
Ruthi-SH
Wow, well, i guess my a level biology was a lie on some parts then, thank you

:s-smilie: what were you taught?
Reply 69
nolongerhearthemusic

And what happens if the egg is already ovulated? The MAP works mainly by increasing the mucus membrane on the uterus and preventing it settling. To suggest it works by delaying ovulation is complete crap. Im not suggesting it doesnt do that, but if that was its main way of working then it would only be effective for 2 or 3 days per month. For the rest of the time it prevents the egg attaching to the uterus.

EDIT; back on topic a bit. The reasons people feel guilty about having an abortion are nothing to do with societies views, although they might be a bit, but there is a huge emotional topic and side to consider. Its not black and white, right or wrong. When you seriously sit down and think about killing, preventing life, however you want to describe it, something which in 9 months could be a little version of you then what society thinks doesnt really come into it. We all have parental instincts, and abortion goes against what our body naturally wants!
Riderz
And what happens if the egg is already ovulated? The MAP works mainly by increasing the mucus membrane on the uterus and preventing it settling. To suggest it works by delaying ovulation is complete crap. Im not suggesting it doesnt do that, but if that was its main way of working then it would only be effective for 2 or 3 days per month. For the rest of the time it prevents the egg attaching to the uterus.

If you've already ovulated you might get pregnant :s-smilie:

Seriously, that's how it works. Couldn't you have checked Wikipedia before replying?

"The United States FDA states that progestin-only ECPs like Plan B work by preventing ovulation. It also says "it is possible" that progestin-only ECPs may interfere with the blastocyst implanting in the uterine lining, and that they have no effect on pregnancies if taken after implantation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_contraception
Reply 71
nolongerhearthemusic
If you've already ovulated you might get pregnant :s-smilie:

Seriously, that's how it works. Couldn't you have checked Wikipedia before replying?

"The United States FDA states that progestin-only ECPs like Plan B work by preventing ovulation. It also says "it is possible" that progestin-only ECPs may interfere with the blastocyst implanting in the uterine lining, and that they have no effect on pregnancies if taken after implantation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_contraception

Ah wikipedia....... fountain of knowledge.

If you think about things logically then you'll see how that makes no sense.

Right, say a woman ovulates on day 14 or whatever it is, you have sex on day 15 and take the MAP straight after. The egg has already ovulated, so retarding the ovulation by a day or 2 wont make any difference. Yet take the MAP and she doesnt get pregnant. Explain.
Riderz
Ah wikipedia....... fountain of knowledge.

If you think about things logically then you'll see how that makes no sense.

Right, say a woman ovulates on day 14 or whatever it is, you have sex on day 15 and take the MAP straight after. The egg has already ovulated, so retarding the ovulation by a day or 2 wont make any difference. Yet take the MAP and she doesnt get pregnant. Explain.

That's not what happens though. If you've already ovulated the MAP won't help you much, unless it prevents implantation which Wikipedia (which is sourced, btw) says it may only sometimes or never really do. You know taking the MAP isn't a guarantee of not getting pregnant, right?
After reading these sites I have found the Lord. Brb, praying :jebus:
if a womnan doesn't want a baby, that's her choice.. whats the point in bringing up a child that they didn't want?
Reply 75
Tashinreallife
if a womnan doesn't want a baby, that's her choice.. whats the point in bringing up a child that they didn't want?

Why would she risk getting pregnant then?

And out of decency and from a good nature.

Don't go taking liberties that were never meant to be yours.
Considering my prediction of my reaction should I ever be in this situation, I should think I'd be far more guilty about getting rid of someone who should technically be alive in the world, than whether other people think it was right or not. Even if it was totally accepted as normal in society I wouldn't feel good about doing it.
Reply 77
"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. -- Ronald Reagan"
Jelephant
Considering my prediction of my reaction should I ever be in this situation, I should think I'd be far more guilty about getting rid of someone who should technically be alive in the world, than whether other people think it was right or not. Even if it was totally accepted as normal in society I wouldn't feel good about doing it.

Should they be in the world any more than the people we prevent existing with contraception?

Yuppie20
"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. -- Ronald Reagan"

So has everyone for contraception :eek:
Reply 79
Sometimes abortions are necessary for medical issue and social issues in the case of rape for instance. Beyond that, I find it hard for than women can live with themselves.

Latest

Trending

Trending