The Student Room Group

JD Salinger: Your memories

US novelist JD Salinger has died at 91 at his home in New Hampshire. What are your memories of his work?

The author is best known for his 1951 novel The Catcher in the Rye, which depicts the life of disaffected teenager Holden Caulfield. It has become one of the most influential American novels of the modern era.

He has not published since the 1960s, nor given an interview since the early 1980s.

Did you read The Catcher in the Rye? What impact did it have on you? What are your memories of the author?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)
Reply 1
It helped me to calm down a bit. I was 17 and hated people, the world - you know. I realized that I wasn't the first person in the world to feel like this nor was there anything wrong with me (I was beginning to think it's not them it's me). In addition, the book confirmed my suspicion that people in private schools steal more than those in public schools and that canasta fiends should not be interrupted!

"I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect."

and

"That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F*** you" right under your nose." are my favourite quotes.
Reply 2
oh yeah I read it in between math and econ, sitting silently in the middle of a room of raucous phonies :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending