The Student Room Group

Pilot Vision Requirements

Hi there,

I've heard back and forth that you do (and don't) need 20/20 vision in order to join the RAF / RN as a pilot.

I was curious as to whether or not people had a certain answer to this question please?

Kind regards,
JD
I hate to be the one to disappoint you, but I think it is pretty important.

Back when I was a teenager I badly wanted to be an RAF pilot. I got talking to an RAF recruiting sergeant at one of those tents they have at air shows and I told him what I wanted to do when I was old enough to join... His reply was "Well, I hope you have perfect eyesight" and he gave me a metal badge of a Spitfire, which I still have. It devastated me because I'd just recently been diagnosed with a form of colour blindness.

I dunno how old you are, but I'm guessing you're fairly young... I was only about 13 at the time. Ambitions and interests change and evolve a lot when you're growing up, and what seemed like a crushing blow at the time, I now see in a positive light. My personal interests soon shifted to music and I got heavily into the guitar, grew my hair long and formed several bands... A million miles away from where I thought I'd end up. But I wouldn't change that now for the world.

Basically, I'm saying don't see it as the end of the world if you can't follow one particular dream. Keep an open mind, look around and chances are there is some other career path that will inspire you just as much if not more if you find that particular one is closed off.
Reply 2
Original post by JDSciMaths
Hi there,

I've heard back and forth that you do (and don't) need 20/20 vision in order to join the RAF / RN as a pilot.

I was curious as to whether or not people had a certain answer to this question please?

Kind regards,
JD

There's far more to consider than just vision, and a lot of stages to get through before the medical.

Advice on here is always to apply and let the professionals inform you.
Reply 3
Original post by telebluesman
I hate to be the one to disappoint you, but I think it is pretty important.

Back when I was a teenager I badly wanted to be an RAF pilot. I got talking to an RAF recruiting sergeant at one of those tents they have at air shows and I told him what I wanted to do when I was old enough to join... His reply was "Well, I hope you have perfect eyesight" and he gave me a metal badge of a Spitfire, which I still have. It devastated me because I'd just recently been diagnosed with a form of colour blindness.

I dunno how old you are, but I'm guessing you're fairly young... I was only about 13 at the time. Ambitions and interests change and evolve a lot when you're growing up, and what seemed like a crushing blow at the time, I now see in a positive light. My personal interests soon shifted to music and I got heavily into the guitar, grew my hair long and formed several bands... A million miles away from where I thought I'd end up. But I wouldn't change that now for the world.

Basically, I'm saying don't see it as the end of the world if you can't follow one particular dream. Keep an open mind, look around and chances are there is some other career path that will inspire you just as much if not more if you find that particular one is closed off.

Hi,

I’m actually 20 aha. I’m currently on a tech career path (data science specifically), but was thinking I’d love to push myself and serve.

I hope your music’s going well.

Thanks,
JD.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
There's far more to consider than just vision, and a lot of stages to get through before the medical.

Advice on here is always to apply and let the professionals inform you.

Another question then.

When applying, how long do the fitness test, Medicals, interviews and aptitude test take?

Is it something you can book holiday (off work) for?

Thanks
Hi,

I’m actually 20 aha. I’m currently on a tech career path (data science specifically), but was thinking I’d love to push myself and serve.

I hope your music’s going well.

Thanks,
JD.

Ah fair enough... Even at 20, the world is very much still your oyster. Hell, I'm 32 and only started uni 2 years ago.

Still, there are loads of careers you could do in the RAF besides flying, especially technical roles, and I would imagine a background in data science or something connected with it would be very much in demand in this day and age.
Reply 6
Another question then.

When applying, how long do the fitness test, Medicals, interviews and aptitude test take?

Is it something you can book holiday (off work) for?

Thanks

You would have to take time off work to attend. The timescale varies and there are some for which you will have to travel elsewhere than your local AFCO/facilities, eg Cranwell.
Reply 8

This is not an official military site, you don't know whether it's up-to-date and the information is there to be interpreted by qualified medical staff, not the general public. That's why we always say on here to apply and see what happens; there's always a chance that people could rule themselves out of joining when they could pass.

Quick Reply

Latest