The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Reviews

Anyone on here been/been to Oxbridge or the top class universities and have any advice on my personal statement in messages? it’s on law, and i don’t want to post it on here in case someone takes it haha. it’s a first draft and would love some criticism on it. it’s a lot different to ones i’ve seen floating around and different to the overall ones i see.
For Oxbridge

1) it’s all about demonstrating a love for the subject
2) this is best demonstrated by showing involvement in super curricular activities
3) they’re not really interested in hobbies - you may be the worlds best skier but how does that help you study law?
4) if you do want to mention a hobby, that’s OK, but you need to tie it to your subject
5) if you can tie something you’ve studied or done beyond the syllabus for A level to an improved level of understanding or realisation about the law, that helps massively

Do you believe your PS addresses these points?
Original post by lily_68x
Anyone on here been/been to Oxbridge or the top class universities and have any advice on my personal statement in messages? it’s on law, and i don’t want to post it on here in case someone takes it haha. it’s a first draft and would love some criticism on it. it’s a lot different to ones i’ve seen floating around and different to the overall ones i see.

There’s a free review service here on TSR.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154

Don’t post it publicly and don’t take too much stock in advice from random people that have never scored a PS.
Reply 3
Original post by Johnny Valentine
For Oxbridge

2) this is best demonstrated by showing involvement in super curricular activities
3) they’re not really interested in hobbies - you may be the worlds best skier but how does that help you study law?
4) if you do want to mention a hobby, that’s OK, but you need to tie it to your subject
5) if you can tie something you’ve studied or done beyond the syllabus for A level to an improved level of understanding or realisation about the law, that helps massively

it does but in a way that i’ve not seen others do, i cant really explain it, i have 4 paragraphs, 3 on experience i have within my chosen subject, and 1 more on who i am and extra curricular
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
There’s a free review service here on TSR.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154

Don’t post it publicly and don’t take too much stock in advice from random people that have never scored a PS.

perfect thank you, i’ve posted it in there. and i’m trying not too, i’m relying on college tutors but i’m from quite a deprived area and tbh i have more faith in people from tsr than i do in them on giving opinions
Reply 5
For Oxbridge

i’ve just reread your tips and tbh my PS does all of the above, i’ve had quite a few work experiences, the paragraph im quite stressed out is the one where most discuss their reading, i went for a different stance and focused on the AH v JD trial rather than give them a 10 book long reading list, and idk if they’d prefer that? i figured they’d get quite bored of reading what other people have read if you get me?
Original post by lily_68x
i’ve just reread your tips and tbh my PS does all of the above, i’ve had quite a few work experiences, the paragraph im quite stressed out is the one where most discuss their reading, i went for a different stance and focused on the AH v JD trial rather than give them a 10 book long reading list, and idk if they’d prefer that? i figured they’d get quite bored of reading what other people have read if you get me?

Sounds good to me (I’m assuming that you mean the AH v JD libel trial in the UK?)

For maths everyone says “I’ve read formats last theorem” and you can’t help feeling it’s a waste of characters. My understanding is that they can prefer “I read this, saw this or attended this lecture where it makes the point that xyz and that got me thinking abc and from that I discovered that or learnt that 123”

ie a long reading list isn’t impressive so much as what you learnt from it.
Reply 7
Sounds good to me (I’m assuming that you mean the AH v JD libel trial in the UK?)

For maths everyone says “I’ve read formats last theorem” and you can’t help feeling it’s a waste of characters. My understanding is that they can prefer “I read this, saw this or attended this lecture where it makes the point that xyz and that got me thinking abc and from that I discovered that or learnt that 123”

ie a long reading list isn’t impressive so much as what you learnt from it.

yep that’s exactly what i mean, i said something along the lines of bla bla an extended reading list is a given bla bla the discussed my trial and my opinion and then referenced some books i’ve read and how the trial taught me so much more than them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending