The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Leeds or Edinburgh uni for maths and music?

Poll

Should I go to Edinburgh or Leeds to study maths and music

I haven't got an offer from Edinburgh yet so this is only hypothetical if I do get an offer from there...but should I go to Edinburgh or Leeds for a degree in maths and music? Anyone at Edinburgh doing/know someone doing the same course and what it's like?

I know I should wait till I get a decision before I make decisions like this...but I like to have a plan lol!
Anyone?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I've a friend doing the maths and music course at Edinburgh. She really likes it, apparently, and Edinburgh are quite good for maths. I don't know anything about Leeds, though.
Reply 3
it depends what your after. Leeds is much more party crazy drug fuelled consumer culture. Edinburgh is much tamer, but you can find any scene at any university. You'll have an easier time at leeds, there's less of a workload, but it depends if you want the name of edinburgh behind you.

Edinburgh is more expensive, and there's a lot of wealthy kids here, who can be nice, and can be nasty, just like any group of folk really.

There's a hefty yah contingent, but it's more to do with fitting in 1st year than them actually being idiots, they tend to go to the party city unis like newcastle, manchester, leeds these days. edin has more people who take their studies seriously.

a big thing to consider is the commute to kings buildings - i know music is out there. its a 15 min bus ride from the city centre (Free, every 30 minutes or so). then again, in leeds, you'll be living more suburban, as an amazing feature of edinburgh is how central the flats are (marchmont, newington etc)

best thing to do is visit both cities! see what you like. you'll never really know until you get here, and then, at the end of the day, it is what you make of it. no matter what people on here think, an institutions reputation wont get you through life, thats your own determination and will. both of these unis would provide you with enough to do that.
lukeyboy
x

As kellywellydoodle was rejected by Edinburgh and has firmed Leeds (see her sig) I'm guessing the info isn't of much help :smile: (If you're looking for unanswered questions to post answers to I think we've been pretty lax in the sticky applicants thread lately, if you fancy looking).
Reply 5
OOps. sorry. wasn't paying attention. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending