The Student Room Group

What uni should I go if want russell group but not math heavy

Like I wanna do a degree in computer science as most of jobs interested is in that field like Cyber Security Devops Project Management Compliance etc and I don’t want the course to have maths and I don’t do a level maths and uk someone from Leeds who said is so bad the lecturers are bad and they never teach good and he is dropping out thoughts on Newcastle and Lancaster someone who goes either or maybe Aston but want a uni with good rep and good course without a level maths interested in the computer science side if ygm so annoying absolute hate math???
Reply 1
Original post by Brianstudy01
Like I wanna do a degree in computer science as most of jobs interested is in that field like Cyber Security Devops Project Management Compliance etc and I don’t want the course to have maths and I don’t do a level maths and uk someone from Leeds who said is so bad the lecturers are bad and they never teach good and he is dropping out thoughts on Newcastle and Lancaster someone who goes either or maybe Aston but want a uni with good rep and good course without a level maths interested in the computer science side if ygm so annoying absolute hate math???

don't study computer science if you dont like maths
Original post by yzven
don't study computer science if you dont like maths

yes i am pretty sure computer science has a lot of maths in it! i'm afraid you need to make sure to be passionate about the subject you want to study - and if you don't like maths, well then maybe comp sci isnt your thing. @Brianstudy01, do you have any other possible degrees you might want to look into?
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
yes i am pretty sure computer science has a lot of maths in it! i'm afraid you need to make sure to be passionate about the subject you want to study - and if you don't like maths, well then maybe comp sci isnt your thing. @Brianstudy01, do you have any other possible degrees you might want to look into?

But bro I love cs but hate maths so annoying and does any of you do the degree and thoughts on it at like uni like Newcastle Nottingham Leeds Lancaster Aston Liverpool
But bro I love cs but hate maths so annoying and does any of you do the degree and thoughts on it at like uni like Newcastle Nottingham Leeds Lancaster Aston Liverpool

no i am in year 13!! you should check if any of the russell group comp sci courses require a level maths? also remember there are really good unis that aren't part of the russell group! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emm4nuella
no i am in year 13!! you should check if any of the russell group comp sci courses require a level maths? also remember there are really good unis that aren't part of the russell group! :smile:

Like what

Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh, and to a lesser extent UCL, Southampton, Bristol, Birmingham, Durham and Manchester at the least are all mathematical (extremely for the first set) for CS.

Also LSE doesn't even have a CS degree.

Most of the rest of those (the major exception being Cardiff off the top of my head) require A-level Maths as well.

Did you just copy and past a list of RG unis...?

As above CS is a necessarily mathematical field. It's not a degree in programming, it's a degree in computer science. I don't really believe you can "like" CS if you don't like (or at least, aren't good at) maths. You can "like" programming, but that's a completely separate thing.

If your main (or only) interest in CS is programming you should look at degrees in computing, I(C)T(MB), perhaps some software engineering courses (a lot are just "flavoured" CS degrees though), and more importantly, at various degree apprenticeships in the computing field.

Ultimately if your main interest is in programming a degree apprenticeship will teach you more of that, have you spend much more time doing that, and give you a better foundation for pursuing a career focusing on programming.
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh, and to a lesser extent UCL, Southampton, Bristol, Birmingham, Durham and Manchester at the least are all mathematical (extremely for the first set) for CS.

Also LSE doesn't even have a CS degree.

Most of the rest of those (the major exception being Cardiff off the top of my head) require A-level Maths as well.

Did you just copy and past a list of RG unis...?

lol i did :biggrin:
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending